Michele Aiani, his history, connection to Raul Aiani?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Beatles78

Michele Aiani, his history, connection to Raul Aiani?

Post by Beatles78 »

Hello!

I have an ancestor, Michele Aiani, who was born in 1814 in Napoli, Campania, Italy. He was a mace bearer to the Pope. I know he was originally married with children...but do not know who that first wife was or those children as she died. I DO know that he married my 3x Great Grandmother, Carolina Antamoro (a Contessa) on March 7, 1843. I'm wondering if anyone has any information on Michele Aiani, his kids with his widow, his parents, his parents parents, etc. Someone on facebook named Raul Aiani who lives in Argentina says that his Grandfather Ambrosio Aiani was from either Milan or Campobasso, Italy originally and immigrated to Argentina in 1886, married to Virginia Balestrini. It would be fascinating if someone here had information to prove a connection between me and Raul Aiani.

Thank you so much in advance!!
Stephanie
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: Michele Aiani, his history, connection to Raul Aiani?

Post by Anizio »

In my experience anyone who says "either X or Y" when they are on two different ends of Italy actually just has no idea at all. That said Aiani is a northern name meaning your Aiani ancestors very likely came from the north. Step 1, find Michele's birth record, and better yet his marriage record if there are allegati. Those should tell you where his parents were from.

Are you certain he was from the city of Napoli, and not the province? If its the city it'll be easy. If not, it's a blind search but eventually you'd find it. I'll give a look through Naples civil records for 1814 unless someone beats me to it.

Also where was he married?
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Bingo:

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Doesn't say where they are from, but gives Michele's full name, parents name, professions, an uncle, and ages.

Someone will need to find the wedding of Michele, or the death of the parents or uncle to try and discover where they were born.

It may also be possible to find a wedding for Michele's parents since you now know to look in the Stella district of Naples.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

How did you get your date and birth location info on your ancestry tree?
There are numerous other Aiani trees on ancestry.com saying he was born in Rome

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Beatles78

Post by Beatles78 »

Wow this is fantastic! Is there any way you can do a translation of that document for me? I don't know Italian. :( I know that he died in Rome, on this hand written tree i have i DO show he was born and died there, but that his parents Carlo and Angela Prosperi were from Napoli?? I also know he married Carolina Antamoro on January 7, 1843. Michele was married before, was widowed, and had 5 babies with his first wife. Do you show information on that? ALso, i show a death date of June 16, 1868. Do you show information on that as well?

ALso, found that Raul's great grandfather's name was Ambrocio Aiani, born around 1848 in Italy (no city enclosed). His great grandmother's name was Virginia Ballestrini, also born in Italy. They immigrated on February 22,1885 to Argentina and then married there after. Do you have a document on Ambrocio's parents?

Thank you so much in advance!!
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Dates are good but unless you give us locations for those marriages and death we cannot help you. Did they occur in Napoli?

Michele's birth document:
Name: Michele Vinzenzo Raffaele Aiani
Born: 27 May 1814 in the Stella district of Naples at 5am
Parents: Carlo Aiani a shopkeeper age 40 and Teresa Tosati age 27
Uncle: Pietro Aiani am engraver age 31

I looked for marriages in the stella district of Naples for 1843 and found nothing. A more broad search requires a lot of effort so you need to give us locations with the dates.

Someone else will need to help you find Raul's families emigration records, I have no experience with that.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Can you post the hand written family tree of Michele Aiani

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Beatles78

Post by Beatles78 »

Wow this is AWESOME!!! Thank you so much for the translation!!!!

Based on the information i was given by family, I assume they were married in Rome, as Michele was a mace bearer for the Pope and Carolina was born in Rome and was a Contessa. I show their children as being born in Rome as well.

Were you able to find a death record for Michele? I show he died in Rome as well in 1868. That would be huge too as we don't know why/how he died. Carolina later moved to the US.

Also were you able to locate birth records for Carlo and Teresa? I originally had an Angela Prosperi as the birth mother so its great to have this new documented info! Thank you again!

I look forward to hearing from you. Marty, I will take a picture of the section showing Michele Aiani...but there isn't too much mentioned.

Thanks again!
Stephanie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Rome is problematic, there are no records in Rome between 1815 and 1871, unless the 1861 census exists somewhere but I have yet to find it.

You likely wont be able to find Michele's parents births in civil records either because there were no civil records before 1809.

Finding Michele's childrens' deaths in Rome is easier, its simply a matter of ordering the Roman death indexes for 1871 on from FamilySearch and finding them.

So right now your record searching is in a difficult state in terms of what is available to you. In order to learn more you would need:

1) Carlo + Teresa's death records, which will require MANY hours of searching to find and thats only if they died in Naples.
2) A stato delle anime for Naples circa 1815 which should give Carlo and Teresa's birth dates and their place of origin.
3) church documents from Rome (less than an easy thing for sure, especially without knowing which Parish).
4) Michele's first marriage record, again only if its in Naples. Will also require MANY hours of browsing.
Beatles78

Post by Beatles78 »

Sounds like a lot of research that needs to happen. :( Were all the records during that time period in Rome lost or destroyed? That certainly doesn't help!

Any idea if you can find a marriage record for Carlo and Teresa....assuming it's Naples and after 1809?

Not sure where or when Michele married his first wife....wish I knew or where. I could assume Naples but who knows. I have no idea what his first wife's name was or any of their children or what even happened to them after Michele married Carolina.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Only certain countries in italy between 1815 and 1865 kept records, the papal states was one that did not.

It is possible to find Carlo and Teresa's marriage, I can give a quick look in the Stella district to see what I find bertween 1811-1814. 1809 and 1810 require more time because there is no index.

A lot of these records are findable in naples, online, but because Naples is so big it will require many hours of browsing which you'll have to do yourself unless you find someone with a lot of spare time.

You can always try yourself: http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... poleonico/
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Where did you get that family tree from?

Marty

Marty
Beatles78

Post by Beatles78 »

Ahh, I see Anizio. So for 1809-1810 you just have to manually go through the documents but 1811-1814 you can search an index? Would be great if you could search those, i will have to manually search then the 1809-1810. Hopefully you'll find it in the ones with indexes. LOL

Thanks again so much for your help!

Adeflio, from a family member....a cousin. She put it all together.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

If you are going by that tree it says Michele Aiani son of Carlo Aiani and Angela Prosperi how did your cousin verify that info with what records?

Marty

Marty
Beatles78

Post by Beatles78 »

Right. I do not know where that data came from either where we thought the mother was Angela Prosperi - however, she must have been the stepmom due to this document find this great group of people found for me! :)