Finding Birth, Marriage records in Trapani

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
HappyJack
Rookie
Rookie

Finding Birth, Marriage records in Trapani

Post by HappyJack »

I am trying to locate my Gervasi relatives from Trapani...what is the best way to locate them? Via microfilm from FamilySearch or how? Thanx, HappyJack
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Finding Birth, Marriage records in Trapani

Post by Tessa78 »

Trapani is both a Province and a Comune/town -
You must know the exact town of birth because the records are held at the town level.

Here is a link to civil records in Province of Trapani - listing the comunes that are available...
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... +italiano/

You can also search the LDS microfilms - but I think they only have the Comune of Trapani...
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

T.
HappyJack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HappyJack »

Wow, yes I understand the diff between the two ----- oh, before I forget, thank you for the quick response. This is going to take some serious effort....thanx again, Jack in Florida
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

If you give us some details about the persons you are searching for, maybe we can help...

Best to start with US records -
Names, approx. dates of birth, immigration years, place settled in US...

Then we can possibly identify the town and find Italian records.

:-)
T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Edited Ciaoooooooooooooo! T
How about some names and dates maybe we can help researching what town the Gervasi's are from possibility San Vito Lo Capo Trapani

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
HappyJack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HappyJack »

Ok, thank you, I'll put something together and get it out later today, I hope. Thanx again, Jack
HappyJack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HappyJack »

New to this list --- am researching the following family:

Matteo (Matthew) Gervasi - B ~ 1860ish -- spouse --- Angelina

Their children, in birth order:

Paola Gervasi - B ~ 1878 - came to US in 1913 married Nicolo Mirlocca. They lived in Elizabeth, New Jersey (not sure if they married in Italy though - sounds like it)

Luigia Gervasi - B ~ 1886 came to the US in 1913.

Pietro Gervasi - B ~ 23 JUN 1889 - came to the US in 24 MAR 1921.

Crispino Gervasi - B ~ 15 MAY 1894 - came to the US in 23 SEP 1912.

I pulled the above data from Ships Passengers Lists - they all came to Elizabeth, N.J. Both Pietro and Crispino registered for Drafts. The birth dates are from their draft registration forms.

I could not find them in any US Census - am assuming it's a matter of how last name spelled or interpreted (my search term). I've tried a number of spellings but none seem to work. I can find Paola (Pauline) and Nicolo in the Elizabeth City Directories, Hope this sheds some light on the issue.

Will appreciate any and all help and suggestions. Jack in Florida
HappyJack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HappyJack »

Here is an AMAZING find - based on the link you previously sent me....I think I got extremely lucky finding this marriage record for Pietro Gervasi and Anna M.

Yes, these are also Pietro's parents ...Matteo and Angelina. What a stroke of luck and stick to itness !!!!!

That makes me feel good - sadly, the earlier years are not available. I am basing this on a posting in Ancestry of a Gervasi Family Tree (which just lists the parents names and no dates) and the Ships lists.....

Ok, given what I have previously sent and this actual record - can you tell me where they are from? Province, Commune etc. Thanx, Jack
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Hello to T and Marty!
Here's a 1920 ship manifest for Nicolo, Paola and Nicolo's sister Francesca Paola. On the second page, Nicolo's birthplace is shown as Vita, a town in the province of Trapani.
Both Nicolo and Paola previously in US. Nicolo--1910-1919; Paola--1913-1919.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... _2717-0058

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
HappyJack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HappyJack »

From this link - http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

it appears that Pietro and Anna and Angela were all resident (living?) in Trapani while the deceased father (fu Matteo) was from Vita also. Comments please - thanx, Jack
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

HappyJack wrote:From this link - http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

it appears that Pietro and Anna and Angela were all resident (living?) in Trapani while the deceased father (fu Matteo) was from Vita also. Comments please - thanx, Jack
Where you see "fu Matteo... vita in Trapani" - it means that he lived in Trapani in his lifetime... not that he resided in Vita.

They were all residents of Trapani (Pietro was born there). Matteo's place of birth is not mentioned.

Anna Mangiapane was born in Monte S. Giuliano, but resided in Trapani.

T. (Hi Biff! :-) )
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Based on Paola and sister Luigia's 1913 manifest, Matteo died something after their 1913 departure (he was listed as their nearest relative in Italy) and brother Pietro's 1920 marriage. Death records for those years are on the antenati site. Matteo's death record should give details of his place of birth and parents' names.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... sePUB=true

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
HappyJack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HappyJack »

Biff, that was a good catch - I missed that one. Will have to spend some time tonite going thru death records ....say 1913 to 1920. Thanx, Jack
HappyJack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HappyJack »

Thanx, HappyJack.......now I have my homework assignment for the evening.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I was already searching the deaths :-)

Matteo Gervasi was born in Monte S. Giuliano :-D

Death of Matteo Gervasi in 1919 in Trapani
Dated 7 October 1919 in Trapani
Appearing before the official was Pietro Gervasi, 30, middle class citizen residing in Trapani; and Salvatore Lombardo, 53, worker residing in Trapani; to declare that at 9 AM on 2 October at Contrada Formusa, died Matteo Gervasi, age 62, citizen who resided in Trapani ... BORN in Monte S. Giuliano to deceased Pietro, middle class citizen, who resided in Monte S. Giuliano in his lifetime; and to deceased Paola Catalano also residing MSG in lifetime.
He was the husband of Angela Pellegrino.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

T. (Hi again, Biff! :-) )