"Casale La Rocca?," Caserta, Italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
BlackHeartNY

"Casale La Rocca?," Caserta, Italy

Post by BlackHeartNY »

So, I'm trying to hunt down my Grandfather's exact place of birth. Only thing is, I have kind-of sort-of conflicting information, or maybe not??? Since I have no idea where exactly he was born in Italy (only thing I do know is that the family is Napolitan), I am using information I've already found. These being WW I and WW II Draft Registration cards.

On the WW I Draft Registration card his place of birth reads: Casale La Rocca, Caserta, Italy.

On the WW II Draft Registration card his place of birth reads: Salerno, Italy.

This is where it gets confusing for me. I need someone to give me the break down. Is it Village, Municipality, Province, Region? How do I know what part of that break down I'm looking at?

Another thing I'm losing my mind over is "Casale La Rocca." I can't find anything, anywhere on the web that references "Casale La Rocca." Could this be the name of a town that was changed somewhere along the line? Where do I look to find that kind of information? Or is this a case of my Grandfather being a wiseguy and not supplying true information? I'm stuck!
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: "Casale La Rocca?," Caserta, Italy

Post by Biff83 »

What was your grandfather's name and birthday so we can check the draft cards directly?

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Your grandfather's name could definitely help, as Biff has suggested. I am thinking possibly the frazione called Casali of the town of Roccapiemonte in the Campania Region, Salerno Province, but without a surname, it's just an uneducated guess.
Erudita
BlackHeartNY

Post by BlackHeartNY »

Biff83 wrote:What was your grandfather's name and birthday so we can check the draft cards directly?

Biff
Just to let you know, the name is Alfonso Fimiani.. HOWEVER.. the spelling of our name has been screwed up over the years, and the ONLY one who had the correct spelling and USED the correct spelling of the name was my Uncle Ralph (who was born in Italy). They've even managed to mangle my Grandfather's given name.

On the WW I Draft Registration card I have for my Grandfather, the spelling was: ALFANSO FEMIANO, DOB: December 28, 1890. Now, here's the strange thing. There are TWO WW I Draft Reg. Cards for my Grandfather. On the second one, the spelling of his name was: ALFONSO FEMMIANO, DOB: December 28, 1890.

On the WW II Draft Registration card I have for him, the spelling was: ALFONSO FEMIANO, DOB: December 28, 1890.

I appreciate the help! :)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

could this possibly be him in the Salerno lista di leva (military draft registration)?
Erudita

http://www.archiviodistatosalerno.benic ... te-di-leva

Femiani
Nome: Alfonso
Classe: 1890
Comune di nascita: Roccapiemonte
Full text:
Femiani Alfonso di Raffaele e Morrone Carmela nato il 29/12/1890 a Roccapiemonte di professione muratore
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Nice work, Erudita!
I checked a map and Roccapiemonte is just northeast of Nocera Inferiore.

First son Raffaele emigrated from and there is a daughter Milly/Molly born about 1917 on the 1920 and 1930 census records--likely and Americanization of Carmela.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Glad you found the U.S. records, Biff, as I was really working in the dark on this one.
Erudita
BlackHeartNY

Post by BlackHeartNY »

I can say that the record that "erudita74" found IS my Grandfather. I can also say that the records found by "Biff83" are the records I already have. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH, both of you!

I have a couple of questions, though. The spelling of the surname is ONE letter off from what I know it to be: FEMIANI, as compared to FIMIANI. Also, Grandpa's DOB is ONE DAY off compared to what I know: December 29 as compared to December 28. Is it safe to say that the record that erudita74 found has the correct spelling of the surname and DOB?

I also would like to know if there are any more Italian websites out there that I may be able to look up Birth Records and Marriage Records.

You guys are just so awesome! You make this whole process look so easy, while I sit here at times pulling my hair out, LOL.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

about the spelling of the surname-hard to say-as here is someone who may be Alfonso's father with the spelling Fimiani

Fimiani
Nome: Raffaele
Classe: 1866
Comune di nascita: Roccapiemonte
Full text:
Fimiani Raffaele di Alfonso e DìAuria Teresa nato il 26\1\1866 a Roccapiemonte di professione muratore

Unfortunately, there are no microfilmed records for this town. The first link below is to the town's official website. The snail mail address is at the bottom of the home page of the website. You can't use the email address with has pec in it though. You might try to email the town secretary to see if she can get your email to the appropriate individual where you can request further info about the records. You need the ufficio dello stato civile o anagrafe. Without pretty specific info though, it is difficult to get info directly from a town. I also have never gotten cooperation from towns in Salerno Province, but it's always worth a try.
Erudita

http://www.comune.roccapiemonte.sa.it/

segretario@comune.roccapiemonte.sa.it
BlackHeartNY

Post by BlackHeartNY »

erudita74, the record you present for "Raffaele Fimiani" certainly could be my GREAT Grandfather. Reason why I think that is is because we know how Italians love to name their children after Grandparents and Great Grandparents. The name "Alfonso" AND the name "Teresa" fall in line with the names of my Father's Father and my Father's brothers and sisters. They were: Ralph, Carmela, Joseph (my Dad), Philip and Theresa. I've been told there was another brother by the name of "Carl" but that he died as an infant/child. All were born in Kings County, Brooklyn, NY (except for my Uncle Ralph).

What really freaks me out about this particular record is the birth date of "26/1/1866." It's funny how certain dates play out in time over and over, and I've found this to be true throughout my search for my ancestors. January 26th is the day my Father died in 1983. Kind of gives me a chill up the spine. Thank you again, for this new info. It's much appreciated.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome. I would feel better if you could get from the town marriage info for Raffaele F and Carmela Morrone that includes their parents' names. Then we could be 100% sure that the 1866 Raffaele is your ancestor.
Erudita