South American Immigration Records?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

South American Immigration Records?

Post by rjmichaels »

Does anyone know of a site that has South American immigration records? There was a wonderful site ~10 years ago that did just that. It didn't provide images but provided transcripts. However, that site has long since gone defunct. I'm just curious because I have much greater information on relatives and all I find online nowadays are links to government pages that just state indices can be searched. The database I speak of covered, at the least, Argentina, and Brazil, and was very helpful since I had a relative who went to Argentina and then returned to Italy.

Sadly, it seems there is nothing comparable now. Ideas?
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: South American Immigration Records?

Post by erudita74 »

Try this link. I just did and it seems to work

http://cemla.com/buscador/

Erudita
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

It's working; I'll go through it. Thank you! I wish I could describe the website that used to exist. I have the address with my files but know for a fact that it began with an IP address; so it was either a a couple people with a lot of time to index a bunch of records and program an engine or possibly a failed government project somewhere along the way. Sadly, that was the closest I have seen to a centralized link for a couple countries. I've seen the website you posted but it always either redirected me or timed out, but it's working now.

Thanks again!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I know the website to which you are referring but it's been inoperative for a very long time. It had U.S., Brazil, and Argentina passenger list info. It had numbers in the URL.
Erudita
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Yes, that is it. I don't think it even had a name. It certainly didn't have an information page to know who was in charge, but it was quite nice. Of course, it barely worked ten years ago (it would depend on my browser and connection speed). I imagine it probably went down shortly thereafter.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

http://web.archive.org/web/200805141510 ... DatiGb.htm

Here's the link to the website I think we are both referring to, but it doesn't work if you try to search it

Erudita

this was the more updated version of the website, I think-

http://www.altreitalie.it/Servizi/Cerca ... _Radici.kl
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Yes! That is very sad that it is gone. I still have the links in my notes (just checked). The numbers in the URL were the IP address of the host, so I think it must have been a small group of people hosting it from a single location. Even ten years ago it was incredibly difficult to access so I would bet that larger traffic overwhelmed the site. Why they wouldn't set up another is beyond me.
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

That definitely looks like the same site as the original. I'm going to have to register so I can search and see. Thank you! I've wondered what happened to that site for a few years now.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

https://sites.google.com/site/barcosdeagnelli/Listado

if you click on any year, the link opens as an excel spreadsheet in alphabetical order

Erudita
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Wonderful! Thank you! I've just always been curious as to whether any of my relatives emigrated to South America. The one I found that did only stayed in Argentina for a few years and returned to Italy (and fathered a child who he later registered in Italy). I've been trying to utilize the updated version of the old site but you have to register and it simply will not let me do so. It doesn't even give an error message; it simply returns to the registration page.