Family Lania

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
keb2739

Family Lania

Post by keb2739 »

Carmelina Lania (nee Di Biasi), along with children Enzo and Angela, arrived in NYC November 9, 1929, on board SS Conte Grande from Naples, Italy. She was 33 at the time. Her husband's name was Giovanni Lania. She was born in Bagni di Calabria. Can't find anything about her prior to her arrival in US. Anybody have any suggestions?
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Family Lania

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website according to the shipmanifest they were born in Bagnara Calabra
Giovanni (John) was born 6/25/1891

United States World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942

Name: John Lania
Event Type: Draft Registration
Event Date: 1942
Event Place: Newark, Essex, New Jersey, United States
Birth Date: 25 Jun 1891

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XRHD-C29

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
keb2739

Post by keb2739 »

Marty...Thanks so much for the quick reply. The draft registration is really helpful in nailing down his birth date (I had two different dates). I find numerous spellings for the birthplace, but "Bagni di Calabria" seems to be the one found on Italian maps. This info should help me find a birth record in "the old country." Thanks!!

Ken
keb2739

Re: Family di Biasi

Post by keb2739 »

Carmelina diBiasi was born 8 June 1896 somewhere in southern Italy. She married Giovanni Lania before 1926, and emigrated, with two children, to the USA in November, 1929. Her parents MIGHT have been Piedrangelo diBiasi and Maddalena Filardi (source on that is sketchy, at best). The earliest hard evidence I find of her existence is the passenger list from the ship she traveled on to get to NYC, USA. Italian records have been a total dead end. Would love to connect with someone who knows this family. Thanks!
Ken Brown
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I believe the place of last residence that Carmellina gave on the ship manifest
Bagnara Calabra, comune of Bagnara Calabra, Province of Reggio Calabria, Calabria Region

Online records for this Comune are limited...

If you are willing to put in some time and effort, you can rent and view the microfilmed records of this village and town at your nearest LDS Family History Center...
Here is the link to the films (nati=births; morti=deaths, matrimoni=marriages)
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

On this site is a link to the city email...
You can write to them and request a copy of Carmellina's (or her children's) birth act.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... rev=search

T.