Question Regarding Foglio di Famiglia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Question Regarding Foglio di Famiglia

Post by rjmichaels »

Hello,

I had some research done in San Pietro Apostolo a few months ago to obtain copies of church records between 1861 and 1866 (the civil records are inexplicably missing from both the provincial and local levels). Anyway, I was also sent a copy of the foglio di famiglia for one of my families. The cover sheet confuses me, as it is titled "Mazza Giovanni fu Antonio (o Carolo/Caloro)." Any idea what the "o Carolo/Caloro" might be in reference to? Would it be a nickname for Giovanni or Antonio, or perhaps a nickname for this Mazza family (Mazza is the most common surname in this comune)?

Please let me know what you think. This Carolo/Caloro does not appear anywhere else.
Sincerely,
Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Question Regarding Foglio di Famiglia

Post by Tessa78 »

As you know, this foglio di famiglia is a civil, not ecclesiastical, document...

Just my observations -
Carolo/Caloro are not surnames found in Catanzaro Province, or the Region of Calabria for that matter.

Carolo IS a male given name (did not find Caloro as a given name)

So it is probable that Carolo was also Antonio, and could have been a middle name or nickname by which he was known. "o" = or

Is the date of 1931 on the foglio significant?

T.
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Thank you for the information! The records I found for Antonio (marriage and births of children) only give his name as Antonio. I am going to have more research done to (among other things), locate his baptismal record (~1806). I have never seen Carolo or Caloro, in reference to him or otherwise.

I was kind of assuming that it may be a nickname but this is the first I've actually seen of one of these documents, so I was unsure if information like that would be included. As I said, Mazza is the most common surname in this comune. If I remember correctly, there was also another Antonio Mazza who was nearly the same age who married a woman of the same name (Maria Mazza) as my Antonio, so perhaps it was a nickname to differentiate him from the other Antonio.

1931 isn't significant; it's just from the 1931 Census. Unfortunately, the comune did not prepare similar documents prior to that. I was surprised this document existed actually. Giovanni (the subject on the title page) died in 1892 and his wife died in 1917, but someone still went and created a foglio for he and his family. The actual foglio also gives foglio numbers for a few of his children, which I plan on getting copies of soon (including Giovanni's daughter, Maria, who married in 1889 and immigrated shortly thereafter, so I'm interested in seeing what information is on that).

Thanks again!
Ray
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

rjmichaels wrote:Thank you for the information!

If I remember correctly, there was also another Antonio Mazza who was nearly the same age who married a woman of the same name (Maria Mazza) as my Antonio, so perhaps it was a nickname to differentiate him from the other Antonio.

Thanks again!
Ray
A good reason to have a nickname! :-)

BTW - you mention that Giovanni Mazza died in 1892... was that in S. Pietro?
I am not finding a death act for him in 1891, 1892 or 1893...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

AND... is this the marriage banns act of Giovanni's daughter, Maria Mazza, in 1889, in S. Pietro?

Act of Publication #7
Dated 2 February 1889
Banns on 3, 10, and 14 February 1889
Maria Mazza, 23, is the daughter of Giovanni, peasant farmer; and of Domenica Tomiano, peasant farmer.
Rosario Tomiano, 24, is the sonn of Giusppe, peasant farmer; and of Anna Pullano.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,392333401

AND the marriage act on 17 February 1889

T.
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Yes, that's his daughter. He died in Philadelphia in 1892, but his death is in the Parte II death records for 1895 if I remember correctly.

Ray
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

rjmichaels wrote:Yes, that's his daughter. He died in Philadelphia in 1892, but his death is in the Parte II death records for 1895 if I remember correctly.
Ray
OK :-)

When I searched the 1895 deaths, the only Giovanni in the parte II, was Giovanni Matz who died in Philadelphia 21 July 1892. He was age 55 and the husband of Domenica Tomaino. Cause of death had something to do with the railroad.
Is that your Giovanni? Could be the death record from USA spelled the surname as it sounds, and it was copied EXACTLY as written into the S. Pietro register.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,392332102

T.
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Yes, that's him. Using that record, I found the original Philadelphia death record, which has his name as "Juan Matz."

Ray
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Ahhh, the spelling on those early US records! :roll:

T.
matiasco

Post by matiasco »

Hello My grandfather was born in Pavia di Udine (UDINE) ITALY in 1866. The parents were Giacomo and Lucia Rizza ... I'm trying to get more information to apply for the birth certificate .. I tried to obtain information on churches, but can not get information. Thank You Matias.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and welcome!

You should start a new "thread" so you can have better exposure for your inquiry.

Choose New Topic to post.

Meanwhile, here are the parishes listed in the Italian Phone Book in Pavia :-)

http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs= ... a&dv=Pavia

T.
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Hello,

I received copies of additional records today. I am attaching the cover pages of two fogli di famiglia entries.

The first has "Mazza Vincenzo fu Giovanni (Carolo . Catinazzo)." Vincenzo was the son of Giovanni Mazza (whose foglio cover page I posted with the original post on this thread). Carolo appears again. Who do you think these names apply to?

The second has "Tomaino Rosario fu Pietro Giuseppe (Inferno)." Is it trying to say that "Inferno" was the nickname of Rosario or his father? BTW, Rosario Tomaino was the son-in-law of Giovanni Mazza.

I also obtained a third foglio which has "Perri Santo fu Giuseppe (Puriano)."

What does everyone think? Am I correct in believing they are nicknames? If so, is the nickname supposed to be for the subject individual or their father? Lastly, what might these names mean (Carolo, Catinazzo, Inferno, and Puriano)?

Sincerely,
Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

As an added note, using the information contained in Vincenzo Mazza's foglio, I was able to find that he immigrated in 1906 and settled in Red Bank, Monmouth, New Jersey. According to his foglio, his wife died there in 1933 and he married in SPA in 1936. I then found him returning to the US in 1937 and dying in Long Branch, NJ in 1972. Unfortunately, there are virtually no records online for NJ, so I cannot find much more information on he and his children (except from what I gleaned from the 1920, 1930, and 1940 Censuses). I found an entry in a NJ marriage index in 1896 for who I believe may have been his sister. When he arrived, he was joining his brother-in-law, Pietro Mazza, in Long Branch. I found a Pietro Mazza marrying a Felicia Mazza in that index and the age for her matches the birth record I have for her. But, once again, the records are not online. I may have to contact Monmouth County and attempt to get the marriage record.

Ray
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I found a Gazetteer/Gazzetta from Comune of S. Pietro di Apostolo that shows these parenthetically included names. They appear to be identifiers of some sort... possibly nicknames, as you said.

Was not able to get a translated page for you... file too large... but here is link to the PDF (open it rather than save)
Do a "find" for Catinazzo, and you will see it show with Mazza Francesco.

https://www.google.com/url?url=http://a ... 5A&cad=rja

***EDIT TO ADD ***

WWII Registration Card for Vincenzo Mazza of Red Bank, NJ
Lists DOB as 5 October 1887
Wife is Mary - residing at 18 Willow
http://interactive.ancestry.com/1002/2w ... turnRecord

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Do not know if you have this birth act for Vincenzo Mazza - in 1884
There are not other "names" written on the birth act...

Annotation in column states that he married with Giuseppina Mazza on 4 May 1905 in Nicastro.

#57 - Dated 6 October 1884 in S. Pietro Apostolo
Birth on 5 October at 7:05 PM at the house at Via Piazza
Father: Giovanni Mazza, 47, peasant farmer residing SPA
Mother: Domenica Tomaina, peasant farmer, his wife, residing with husband
Child given the name VINCENZO

Marriage Banns of Vincenzo and Giuseppina Mazza in 1905
Vincenzo, age 20, peasant farmer, son of deceased Giovanni who resided in "Filadelfia, America" in his lifetime; and of living Domenica Tomaino of SPA. It states that the groom was currently a resident of New York.

T.