Carlo Bazzurro-Carlo Preti, same person?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sus80
Veteran
Veteran

Carlo Bazzurro-Carlo Preti, same person?

Post by Sus80 »

This is a little bit of a mystery and sadly I only have user submitted information on part of this (very extensive information though, and as I was told directly transcribed from church books of the area for FamilySearch).

We have a Carlo Bazzurro in the family whose official death record states he died on 5 May 1868, and states his wife's name was Rosa Bazzurro, father's name Gio. Batta Bazzurro.
His mother's name is Geronima Costigliolo (all in the full death record, FamilySearch link below).

In these user submitted parish book entries I tried to find Carlo's father Giovanni Battista (or Gio. Batta) Bazzurro, married to Geronima Costigliolo, with a son Carlo, in the right time frame. I didn't find this constellation (except one Gio.Batta Bazzurro and Geronima Costigliolo but without a Carlo as son and the mother would have been 49 when she gave birth).

What I found is a Carlo Preti, married to a Rosa Bazzurro, with some of the children that are mentioned for our Carlo, our Andrea born 1815 in paricular, with the same exact death date as our Carlo Bazzurro, and for this Carlo Preti it is mentioned that his father Giovanni Battista Preti has children with a Geronima Costigliolo, and these children have sometimes a double name Bazzurro de Preti, and either name alone, this is continued for Carlo Preti's children (Bazzurro, De Preti, Bazzurro de Preti).

So what we thought is that our Carlo's father's full name was actually Giovanni Battista Bazzurro de Preti, Carlo initially went by Preti, married a Rosa Bazzurro, and later on went by or was recorded as Carlo Bazzurro in the records.

Here the link to the death record of our Carlo Bazzurro, died 5 May 1868 in Struppa:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... 3DLK4V-MNT

Here a link to the parish book entries mentioning the death date and further family information on Carlo Preti, died 5 May 1868 in Struppa, spouse Rosa Bazzurro.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/34Z5-CGG

Would very much appreciate any suggestions or questions.

I think in the end I'll have to contact the churches of Struppa to find out about this double name Bazzurro Preti...

Susanne
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Carlo Bazzurro-Carlo Preti, same person?

Post by PippoM »

Here is a 1806 Census for Struppa...there are a lot of Bazorro's (as written here by the French). I think yours should be number 5721:

http://antenati.san.beniculturali.it/v/ ... ewsIndex=0

http://antenati.san.beniculturali.it/v/ ... ewsIndex=0

Reading carefully, you might find someone who is related to him.
Unfortunately, women don't seem to be listed.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Sus80
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Sus80 »

Thank you for your help, PippoM.
We have the whole family line up to him and the name of his father and mother, that is not the issue :-)

The interesting issue here is that I found a Carlo Preti who is roughly the same age as my Carlo Bazurro who died on the same day. Since there is no exact birth date for my Carlo Bazurro, and only a christening date for that Carlo Preti, age was a matter of memory for them at the time.
If you look at the links that I gave you'll see the father Giovanni Battista Preti has children with double names Bazzurro and Preti, his wife however is a Costigliolo, this goes on with Carlo's children...

Here a link to the older thread that mentions many of the Bazzurros:
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... g&start=30

Documents probably cannot really be found until we visit the place, I'm interested in opinions and experiences :-)
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Well, the link I provided shows Carlo went by Bazzurro in 1806, when he was 26. You also might try to read the list to see if there's any Preti or De Preti.
Moreover, have you tried to contact the person who published info about Bazzurro/De Preti in Family Search (there's name and email address), for a comparison of info and sources?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Sus80
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Sus80 »

Yes, I was in contact with that person. He said his father originally transcribed whole parish books for genealogical purposes, and he (the son) now feeds them into the Familysearch database. He says there are tens of thousands of names. I don't think he would welcome questions of this sort, he just shares the data because he has it...
Sus80
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Sus80 »

You are right, I'll look for Preti's in that list, thanks!