Help with mariage record of 1838

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Help with mariage record of 1838

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Hi Everyone! I am still working on my Visaggio/Sciancalepore family tree. I found a marriage record for Cecila Visaggio. I am having a little trouble with the name and parents of her husband. I think his name is Francesco Saverio Esposito. There is a name listed and I am not sure who Fortunato is. I am thinking that is father is unknown. Thank you for any assistance. Here is the link to the record:

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Sue Visaggio Antista :D
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Help with mariage record of 1838

Post by erudita74 »

Francesco Saverio Esposito was the son of unknown parents (genitori ignoti). He was known under the surname Fortunato (cognominato). You will see a child being born to him and Cecilia in the 1839 birth index #331 under the surname Fortunato.
Erudita
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Thank you very much. I am confused as to how I should name him on my tree, as I have not run into this situation before.
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Sue
I'm having trouble deciphering the word which follows "da che" and before the words "e` cognominato." So from whatever that point in his life was, he became known under the surname Fortunato instead of Esposito. What strikes me as strange is that, in certain towns, both surnames were used for foundlings, or for children of unknown parents, so it's not like substituting the one surname for the other removed the stigma surrounding his birth. I just wish I could decipher the word in between. I personally have never seen such a thing written in a record. Maybe someone else has and understands it better than me.
Erudita
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Thank you. This is why I love researching genealogy! Always a mystery to solve or ask if anyone has run into this situation!

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Yes, Sue, things are never simple with genealogy research which is what keeps us going. Every time I think about quitting, something else presents itself which stops me from doing so. Hopefully some other records for this family will provide additional clues to help unravel the mystery. Have a good evening.
Erudita
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Hi Erudita,
the sentence you can't read is "che da sè si è cognominato" - "who gave himself the surname" (as we know, at that time use was more important than formality :-) )
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Hi Pippo
Thanks so much. I did see se and si, but saw them as a single word sesi, and not two individual words, which is why I couldn't figure out what was meant. You are a lifesaver. Grazie.
Erudita
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

:D
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.