Info on Santella/Morrone family in Jelsi, Campobasso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DianeSaltarelli

Info on Santella/Morrone family in Jelsi, Campobasso

Post by DianeSaltarelli »

I'm looking for any info or photos on my grandmother, Louise (Luigine) Santella Morrone, her husband Louis (Luigi) Morrone and her parents Nicola and Teresa Santella. Thank you!
DianeSaltarelli

Re: Info on Santella/Morrone family in Jelsi, Campobasso

I'm sorry, but I forgot to give you birth dates. May 1899 for Luigine Santella and Aug. 1889 for Luigi Morrone. Thank you!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the POSSIBLE birth act of Luigi Antonio Morrone in 1891 in Ielsi.

Notation in margin is for a marriage to Mariangiola Santella - 12 or 19 February 1927

Dated 23 August 1891 in Ielsi
Appearing before the official was Maria Riccitelli, 70, peasant farmer residing in Ielsi, to declare that at 7 AM on the 22 of the month at the place at Calata San Sebastiano, to Filomena Manzi, housewife, wife of Francesco Morrone, shoemaker, both residing in this town, was born a male child who was presented and to whom was given the name LUIGI ANTONIO
Witnesses to the recording of the act of birth were Emilio Conte, 50, landowner; and Salvatore Cianciullo , 66, landowner.
The declarant announced the birth because she assisted in the birth to Filomena Manzi, and in the place of the husband of same, as he was unable to declare because he traveled to America.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Have not found a birth record in 1888-1891 for a LUIGINE - maybe that was a nickname?
Will search for a Mariangiola Santella...

****EDIT TO ADD****

Birth of Mariangiola Luigia Santella in 1899
Notation of marriage to Luigi Morrone on 19 February 1927

Dated 16 May 1899 in Ielsi
Appearing before the official was Nicola Santella, 35, mason, residing in Ielsi, to declare that at 9 PM on the 15 of the current month, at the place at Piazza Municipi, to Teresa Palange, housewife, his wife residing with him, was born a female child who was presented to the official and to whom was given the name MARIANGIOLA LUIGIA.
Witnesses to the recording of the birth were Domenico Ciaccia, 59, landowner; and Pietrangelo Tatta, 49, municipal guard.

Birth of Nicola Santella, [father of Mariangiola Luigia Santella], in 1865 in Ielsi
Daed 5 January 1865
Before the official appeared Teresa Padulo [daughter of Francesco] age 44, midwife residing in this town to present a male child who she declared was born to Francesca Morrone, 28 residing in Ielsi, and to Michele Santella, 28, peasant farmer residing here, on day 4 of the abovesaid month at 5 in the night at home. The child was given the name NICOLA
Present at this declaration and presentation were Filippo Vasile, shoemaker residing here; and Emilio Conte, landowner residing here, and Signora Padulo.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 3.jpg.html

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

And here is the record for...

Banns of Marriage of Nicola Santella and Maria Teresa Palange (parents of Mariagiola Luigia Santella)

#15 - dated 20 March 1884 at 11:30 AM at the town office in Ielsi
Before the official appeared:
Nicola Santella, single, 23, mason residing in Ielsi; son of Francesco [Santella] age 60, mason residing in Ielsi; and of Elisabetta Cianciullo, peasant farmer residing in Ielsi;
AND
Maria Teresa Palange, single, 27, housewife residing in Ielsi, daughter of Giuseppantonio [Palange] age 52, residing in Ielsi; and of Marianna Serino(?), tavern keeper rsiding in Ielsi.

Banns were posted on 23 March, 30 March and 3 April.

T.
DianeSaltarelli

Grazie Tessa!!!! Oh my! I can't believe you found all this info for me. I can't wait to tell my mom. :) I'm so happy. You made my day. It looks like there was a Morrone on both sides of my nana's family. I know there is a Santella on both sides as well. Have a wonderful day!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Glad to have helped!

Hope you and your mother enjoy "meeting" your ancestors :-)

BTW - Here is the link to the Marriage of Nicola Santella and Maria Teresa Palange in Ielsi on 3 April 1884
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 4.jpg.html

AND a correction/clarification - surnames

Luigi Morrone's mother's surname is Mansi :-)
Maria Teresa Palange's mother's surname is clearer on the marriage and looks like Serena.

AND... Marriage of Luigi Morrone's parents in 1881 :-)
Act of Marriage
Dated 29 September 1881 at 11:15 AM at the town office in Ielsi
Before the official appeared:
1 - Francesco Saverio Morrone, single, age 27, shoemaker born in Ielsi, residing in Ielsi; son of Andrea [Morrone] residing in Ielsi; and of Angelamaria Cianciullo residing in Ielsi.
AND
2 - Filomena Mansi, single, age 22, peasant farmer born in Ielsi, residing in Ielsi; daughter of Luigi [Mansi] residing in Ielsi and of Carmela Paladucci residing in Ielsi.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 5.jpg.html

AND**** Birth of Luigi's mother, Filomena Mansi in 1859 :-)

Birth Act of Filomena Mansi in 1859 (mother of Luigi Morrone)
Dated 15 September 1859 at 1 PM at the town office
Appearing before the official was Maria Martinelli, daughter of Andrea, a 71 year old midwife residing here, to present a female child who she declared was born to Carmela Palatucci(?), age 27, residing here; and to Luigi Mansi, 30, cutter, residing here; [child born] on 14 of abovesaid month at noon. The child was given the name FILOMENA
Witnesses to the record: Andrea Passarelli, peasant farmer and Filippo Vasile, civile servant, both residing here and also present was Signora Martinelli.

AND******
Birth Act of Francesco Saverio Morrone (father of Luigi Morrone) in 1854
Dated 5 February 1854 at 4 PM at the town office in Ielsi
Before the official appeared Maria Granata, daughter of deceased Francesco, midwife of age 62 residing here, to present a male child who she declared was born to Angelamaria Cianciullo [daughter of deceased Domenico Cianciullo], age 32, residing here; and to Andrea Morrone, 42, tailor residing here, [child was born ] on day 4 of the above month at 2 "in the night" (2 AM) at home. The child was given the name Francesco Saverio
Witnesses to the record: Egidio Ciaccia and Pasquale Campanaro, and Signora Granata.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

AND anther generation back in the Morrone family line :D :D

Birth Act of Andrea Morrone (father of Francesco, grandfather of Luigi Morrone) in 1812
Dated 2 january 1812 at 4 PM before the official in Ielsi
Appeared Samuele Morrone, age 27, peasant farmer residing in this abovesaid town of Ielsi at Strada della di S. Biase, to declare that on day above indicated (2nd) at noon was born at home to the declarant (Samuele Morrone) and to Annamaria di Rienzo, his legitimate wife of age 25, a male child who was presented, and to whom was given the name Andrea.
Witnesses to the record: Timofeo Vena, 48, barber; and Sig. Pasquale Granata, 40, archpriest.
***Note that Samuele Morrone signed the record

T.
DianeSaltarelli

Grazie, grazie, grazie Tessa! :) I'm in shock again! How did you find all of this so fast? I told my mom yesterday & she kept saying yes, nana talked about those people & said she remembered their names. I wish there were photos, but I'm so happy you gave me all this info going so far back. This is unbelievable! Can I ask about my dad's side of the family? If this is too much, it's alright. :) Have a great day!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

DianeSaltarelli wrote:Grazie, grazie, grazie Tessa! :) I'm in shock again! How did you find all of this so fast? I told my mom yesterday & she kept saying yes, nana talked about those people & said she remembered their names. I wish there were photos, but I'm so happy you gave me all this info going so far back. This is unbelievable! Can I ask about my dad's side of the family? If this is too much, it's alright. :) Have a great day!
Sure, we can try to find information about your father's ancestors.
With some comunes (towns) it is a bit easier as the records are available online...

I will also continue to search for your Morrone/Santella line.
If you wish to go back further than the 1812 record I posted, you will need to request records (Baptism and marriage and death) from the local parish priest in Ielsi as the civil records do not go back further than about 1806-09.

Glad your mom remembered some of those names!!! :-)

***EDIT TO ADD***

Death of Francesco Santella (father of Mariangiola Luigia Santella) in 1890

Dated 11 August 1890 at 11:30 AM at the town office in Ielsi
Appearing before the official were Nicola Cianciullo, 32, shoemaker residing in Ielsi; and Salvatore Ciaccia, 28, mason residing in Ielsi; to declare that at 10 AM today at the house in Strada San Nicola #12, died Francesco Santella, age 67, mason residing in Ielsi; born in Ielsi to deceased Pasquale [Santella], a mason who resided in Ielsi in his lifetime; and to deceased Mariagiuseppa Santella, a peasant farmer who resided in Ielsi in her lifetime.
Francesco was the husband of Elisabetta Cianciullo.
Witnesses to the recording of the death were Domenico Ciaccia, 50, landowner, and Pietrangelo Tatta, 40, municipal guard.

Just an FYI about witnesses:
On these records you see witnesses - they are often not related to the family and just happen to be at the town office at the time of the declaration and served as witnesses to the recording of the act.
SOMETIMES the declarants on a death are related to the deceased, but that is usually noted in the description of the declarants...

T.
DianeSaltarelli

Oh wow Tessa you are terrific! :) It's hard for me to read a lot of the copies because of my eyesight & being a little on the light side, but that's okay. I'm still saving them.

My dad's grandfather was Angelo Saltarelli from Minturno. I *think* his wife's name was Maria Sparagno. There also may be 2 Angelo's, but I'm not positive. The other info I have from a 3rd cousin is that the name Santarelli was recorded way back & then Saltarelli was recorded. Hope that made sense. :) Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of info, but I know Angelo came to the USA where he resided & then died. One son, maybe Samuel, was also born in Minturno, but the rest of the family was born in the US. Thank you so much Tessa!!!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

DianeSaltarelli wrote:Oh wow Tessa you are terrific! :) It's hard for me to read a lot of the copies because of my eyesight & being a little on the light side, but that's okay. I'm still saving them.
Thank you so much Tessa!!!
When you open the link to the records in the Archives site, you can click ON the document and it will open in magnification which you can make larger and small with the wheel on your mouse. You may need to move the scroll bar up and down in order to grab and move the document up and down.

It should be better on your eyes! :-)

However, I will continue to translate the records that I find for you!

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

A few questions about your Angelo Saltarelli....

Have located some US documents to gather more information but want to be sure I am on the right family...
Did Angelo arrive in US about 1893? (a first arrival?)
Naturalized in 1902?
Did he settle in Connecticut? possibly Fairfield county, town of Norwalk?
Was Angelo a stone mason? or a farmer?
And did his wife die before 1920?

Here is a possible US Passport application
(dated November 1913)for Angelo Saltarelli - for himself, his wife Mariagrazia, and 3 of his children: Rose and Philip (born Connecticut) and Pasquale/Patrick (born New York)
This is a passport application for a naturalized citizen... and it identifies Minturno as his birthplace on 29 February 1872

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=2185145

World War I Registration Card for Samuel Saltarelli - age 18 in 1918
born 26 August 1900 in Italy
Naturalized under father's naturalization
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-8BT7-JY5

Here is the 1920 US Census for the above family in Norwalk.
Mother is not listed...
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-XXC9-TPQ

Possible naturalization Index card for Angel(l)o Saltarelli in 1902 in CT
https://familysearch.org/search/record/ ... onnecticut~

T.
DianeSaltarelli

Thanks so much again Tessa! I did scroll, but what happens is that I can't see the very top or bottom, but it's alright. My husband can make them a bit darker. Not sure when Angelo came to the US, but that date might be right. Yes, he came to Norwalk, CT, Fairfield County. I don't know when his wife died, but was also in CT. Her name was Maria Grazia Sparango, but that's all I know. I think Angelo was a mason because my grandfather, his son, Philip was a mason (builder) & I believe another son was also. As I said, my 3rd cousin told me one last name was Santarelli & then the last name Saltarelli was recorded. Strange. lol
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You need to move the scroll bar on the right up or down to see the top and bottom.
Tip - When you open the link DON'T move the image up - just click on the top of the image and you will be able to move it up or down when it enlarges... (remember to enlarge with the wheel on your use)

Check the docs I have posted above... just trying to definitely establish the family and place of birth...

Spelling of names can be very fluid... do not worry about the spelling. If we can get to the civil registrations we can see what it was originally (and sometimes family stories are just that - family stories :-) )
There are currently 22 listings in the Italian Phone Book for SALTARELLI in Minturno, so it IS a spelling found there :-)
http://www.paginebianche.it/page?btt=1& ... turno&ind=

You must be familiar with this information which was on the Wiki site for Minturno...
Emigrants

In the early 20th century, many residents of Minturno and the villages around it emigrated to Stamford, Connecticut, in the United States. A club for Minturnese immigrants, the Minturno Social Club was founded in the West Side of Stamford in 1939 (and has since moved to the Springdale district) and only made up of members whose families hailed from Minturno, had 120 members in 2007. A Minturnese tradition, the Festa de la Regna ("Festival of Wheat") celebration of harvest day and honoring the Madonna delle Grazie, is still honored in Stamford with an annual procession.[1]
Michael Fedele, the lieutenant governor of Connecticut, was born in Minturno in 1955.

***EDIT TO ADD***

I am not finding online records for Minturno - so you will need to write directly to the town to request the birth record of Angelo Saltarelli on 29 February 1872.
You do not need to send any $$$, but do include a photo id.

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Principe di Piemonte
04026 Minturno (LT)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italian...
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

T.
DianeSaltarelli

Thanks so much Tessa! :) I love the quote you added. I don't drive anymore, but do have an old driver's license with a picture so I guess I can make a copy & send it with a letter. You provided me with so much info! Yes, Angelo Saltarelli & family are my family. :) His son, Philip was my grandfather. I wasn't able to see anything on Ancestry.com because I can't afford their fees. It's alright, though, because you've given me a lot to read. I'll let you know if I hear anything from Italy & I'll keep checking back here too.