Capodicasa from Abruzzo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kappra

Capodicasa from Abruzzo

Post by kappra »

Hello,
I've gotten so much help from everyone here, I hope you don't mind if I post another question. I'm planning a trip to Abruzzo in the near future and hope to find some long lost relatives.

My question is about the surname Capodicasa. Both my grandfather and my grandmother had this name (it was her maiden name). One is from Chieti and one is from Pescara (not sure which). Can anyone shed any light on the origin of this name? Also, was it common for people who were not related to have the same name?

I found the Ellis Island record for my grandfather, but none for my grandmother. He came to the US and settled in Paulsboro, NJ, married and had two sons. His first wife died and then he either sent for, or went back to Italy to get my grandmother. I'm looking forward to unraveling more of the mysteries of my family.

Thanks!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Capodicasa from Abruzzo

Post by adelfio »

If you look at these distribution of the name Capodicasa it seems like it centers in Sicily

PG LINK
http://www.cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cognom ... CAPODICASA

If you look at these distribution of the name Capodicasa it seems like it centers in Sicily

PG LINK

http://www.cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cognom ... SA/SICILIA

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Is her first name Anna?
Born about 1897?
I found a manifest on ancestry for the above. arrived May 6, 1921.
Born in Brecciarolo, Italy, her father was Antonio
Going to join fiance Aurito Capodicasa in Paulsboro, NJ.
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

A church in the town:
St. Rita
Diocese of Ascoli Piceno
Brecciarolo
Ascoli Piceno, 63040 Italy
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You asked about the origin of the surname. Literally it means "head of the house," but I've read that it originally referred to the individual who was in charge of the servants in an aristocratic or wealthy household. So possibly one of your ancestors served in such a capacity.

Just because two individuals shared a common surname does not mean that they were related to each other. Sometimes a surname is so common in a town, or in a region, that the individuals who share the surname are not related. I have, for example, ancestors with the surname Mangiaracina, which means "eat grapes." in their Sicilian town, and neighboring towns, the surname is like Smith in the U.S. So researching the records proved that many with the same surname were not related to my ancestors. Other times you find that individuals in a town with the same surname are related to one another, but you have to go back numerous generations to prove this. I found, for example, that my great grandparents who were from the same town in southern Italy, and shared a surname, had great grandfathers who had been brothers.

Erudita
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Philadelphia Manifest, see line# 11
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1921481

then view Page# 708, Line # 11
kappra

Post by kappra »

Wow! Thank you everyone! I am going back to NJ to meet my grandmother's nephew. He was looking for the family of his aunt Anna and found me on Facebook. My grandfather changed our name, but I included Capodicasa in my name on Facebook. I hope to find out more from him about our family and our past, but this is a great start.