1821 Death Records

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Sasso
Rookie
Rookie

1821 Death Records

Post by Sasso »

I'm having trouble reading these two documents. On the left is Giuseppe D'Orio, son of Carmine and Restitute Catuogno, (What age?), died April 24, 1821. On the right is his father Carmine, son of Francesco, who died the same day. How old was he?https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... W:52359401

Where were they from? The writing doesn't say Lacco Ameno, which is where the rest of the family is from. This is kind of confusing because the rest of the family documents that precede and follow this record all list Lacco Ameno.

Would there be any record of how they died? Since they died on the same day, it was probably an accident of some sort. I was hoping I could get lucky and some nice priest would have written it down somewhere. :roll:
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: 1821 Death Records

Post by Tessa78 »

First record (#14)
Death of Giuseppe D'Orio, age 18 months, on 24 April 1831.
Son of Carmine D'Orio and Restituta Catuogno.

Second record (#15)
Death of Carmine D'Orio, sailor, age 29, on 2 May 1821, husband of Restituta Catuogno.
Son of deceased Francesco, and of Restituta Sogliuzzo(?)

Both deaths occurred at home at Strada Prunella, in Lacco ...
No cause of death given (usually not stated in these records)

T.
Sasso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sasso »

I wonder what happened to them....

Thanks so much!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I appear to have mis-typed the year on the child. BOTH deaths occurred in 1821...

Most death records do not have a cause. You might look at the history of the area at that time for any disasters, diseases, etc. that might have happened during that period.

BTW - the name Ameno was not added to the official name of this town until 1862 :-)

T.
Sasso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sasso »

That's a good point. I was thinking it may have a fire or something of the sort. A natural disaster would probably be easier to find out, though.

The Strada Prunella is,presumably, the street they lived on. What's the best way to find an old, possibly renamed, street?