Help with possible birth and marriage location

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
eoddom

Help with possible birth and marriage location

Post by eoddom »

I'm trying to find out where my Great Great grandparents may have been born in Italy and and records associated to their birth and marriage. The oldest records I have for them are from a 1900 san fran census.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-XC8W-6S4

Their names are Mary and Luigi (Louis) Fabrizio. They were living with Mary's parents (Frank and Saveria Licora) at the time of the census but soon after would have moved to Elmira, NY. In a later census report Mary went by Nunzia and Luigi went by Louis. It looks like they would have married around 1898. I believe luigi/louis's parents names were luigi and filomanna fabrizio.

And help would be much appreciated. Gotta track this stuff down for a 1948 case with Luigi Paiano.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Help with possible birth and marriage location

Post by Tessa78 »

I believe that the surname of Maria's father is CICORA, not Licora :-)

Here is a POSSIBLE arrival manifest for her father, Francesco Cicora in 1891 (date agrees with census)

Francesco Cicora
United States Italians to America Index
Name Francesco Cicora
Event Type Immigration
Event Date 02 Jun 1891
Event Place New York, New York, New York, United States
Gender Male
Age 38
Birthplace Italy
Occupation Peasant
Ship Name Cachemire
Birth Year (Estimated) 1853
Departure Port Naples
Literacy Unknown
Destination Place NEW YORK
Transit or Travel Compartment Staying in the USA [Transit]; Steerage [Travel]
Affiliate Manifest ID 00081877
Affiliate ARC Identifier 1746097

ALSO... on the next page of the census you will see Vita Fabrizio age 2 months, listed as "neice" born in California (possible child of Luigi and Maria?)
- and a son (Frank's), Michael Cicora, age 10, born in Italy.

T.
eoddom

Post by eoddom »

That manifest seems to line up well, thanks. I wish it said where he was coming from in Italy. And yes, Vita was their oldest child, and the only one born in California. The rest of their children were all born in Elmira.
eoddom

Post by eoddom »

Is it possible that Mary changed her name from Angela Maria to Mary A when she moved here? Also would it be normal for Frank's wife to take his middle name as her first when they came? On that 1900 census her first name is Sevaria...

Name: Angela Maria Cicora
Event Type: Birth
Event Date: 14 Dec 1880
Event Place: Santa Croce di Magliano, Campobasso, Italy
Father's Name: Francesco Saverio Cicora
Mother's Name: Maria Nicola Mancini
Entry Number: 172
GS Film number: 1811422
Digital Folder Number: 5122951
Image Number: 00371
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I have been searching for a WWI registration card (alien registration) for Frank, Luigi and Michael, all of whom were born in Italy, hoping it would identify a town of birth. No luck so far.

Did Michael also move to Elmira? Found a Michael Cicora in the census there.

I was also hoping to find a manifest for Maria and her mother, so having her mother's maiden name (Maria Nicola Mancini) will help. Maybe searching under Angela Maria Cicora will also help :-)
The name for Frank's wife on the census could very well have been an error in understanding her.

Just a a point of interest...
The surname Cicora appears to be concentrated in the Campobasso Province of Italy. Cicora found in Santa Croce di Magliano and San Giuliano di Puglia.
The surnames Cicora AND Fabrizio are both found in the Comune of Tremoli, Province of Campobasso :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The birth index that you posted for Angela Maria Cicora is NOT your Maria :-)

Here is the link to the original birth act in 1880 in Santa Croce di Magliano.

There is a notation under her name in the column, AND a copy of the marriage extract to the right (loose page)
Angela Maria Cicora married with Gennaro Antonio Iacurti in Santa Croce on 20 December 1903.

Birth Act #172 - (She was born on 14 December 1880)
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 2.jpg.html

So Maria's mother's given name is probably Saveria :-)

T.
eoddom

Post by eoddom »

I would imagine all of them probably moved to the Elmira area shortly after that 1900 census, You can find plenty of elmira census' with louis and mary fabrizio. I think my next step will be doing uscis and nara searches for naturalization records for louis/luigi and Mary. Since my 1948 case will go Mary-her daughter, my grandfather, my dad, me I was told by luigi paiano that letters of no records for her would suffice. I'm assuming since luigi/louis was in the US much longer than mary that if he did naturalize it would have been long before they married.

Mary's mother appears to have come to the US with Frank, and mary came 4-5 years after them.
eoddom

Post by eoddom »

Oh darn alright. There's a birth for an Anna Maria Cicora to the same parents in 1883 that it could possibly be as any other census aside from the 1900 census mary fabrizio put she was born in 1882 and not 1880

Name: Anna Maria Cicora
Event Type: Birth
Event Date: 27 Jul 1883
Event Place: Santa Croce di Magliano, Campobasso, Italy
Father's Name: Francesco Saverio Cicora
Mother's Name: Maria Nicola Mancini
Entry Number: 147
GS Film number: 1811422
Digital Folder Number: 5122951
Image Number: 00729
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The US Census records can be quite inaccurate... so do not put too much faith in the dates given there...

As to Anna Maria Cicora - same parents
She married in Santa Croce 4 June 1910 to Emilio Morgante
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

T.
eoddom

Post by eoddom »

You're good at this...haha. I'd rather cross these two off my list than chase after the wrong documents. I think my first step will be to attain her death certificate from Elmira and see what her name was on there. I wonder if her parents moved back to Italy, because I don't see them anywhere else on census records.

Edit: I also tried calling the SF clerk's office but they never returned my call. I want to see if luigi and mary got married in SF and if they have record of it. The only places I can think of that they would have gotten married would be san fran or elmira.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

According to the 1900 and 1910 Censuses for Louis/Luigi Fabrizio, he immigrated in 1882... That would suggest they most likely were married in California, with their first child born there.

T.
eoddom

Post by eoddom »

Alright thanks. I'll try the san francisco clerk of court again on Tuesday to see what I can turn up.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
the son, Michele CICORA, italian name: Michelangelo CICORA, well he was born in MACCHIA VALFORTORE ( Campobasso province) on 28 Aug. 1889 #59, son of Francesco CICORA 33 old, farmer, and of Saveria CAMPANELLI

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 5.jpg.html
The full names of parents was:
Francesco Saverio CICORA and Lucia Saveria CAMPANELLI; they married in Macchia Valfortore on 29 Jan 1873 #3

Groom: Francesco Saverio CICORA 19 old, farmer, born and resident in Macchia Valfortore, son of Michelangelo CICORA and of Maria CAROZZA
Bride: Lucia Saveria CAMPANELLI 21 old, born and resident in Macchia Valfortore, daughter of Francesco CAMPANELLI and of Concetta M... (unreadable)

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 5.jpg.html

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Michelangelo CICORA born on 28 Aug 1889 was the last son, because,

previously, another son named Michelangelo also was born on 18 Feb 1878 #13 and died infant, because the second son was named as the first..
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 9.jpg.html

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Antonia Maria Concetta CICORA born in Macchia Valfortore on 9 Jun 1874 #38 daughter of Francesco Cicora 21 old, farmer and of Lucia Saveria Campanelli

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 2.jpg.html

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH