Help! Need parents of Angelo Torrisi (Torrise)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sjst1

Help! Need parents of Angelo Torrisi (Torrise)

Post by sjst1 »

Hello! I am hoping that someone with more genealogy research experience can help me find my husband’s great grandparents (and then some). I have much information, but keep hitting dead ends. So here’s what I have and I thank you in advance for any help you might offer.  I’m trying to make my husband and his 8 siblings family trees for Christmas.

My husband is James C. Torrise b. 1950 SF, CA
His father was Anthony Joseph Torrise b. 1921, Bellevue, OH – he married Gloria Boscacci b. 1925
Anthony’s had a brother that was 9 years older than him named Sarino (Sam) b. 1912 in Sant Agata, Sicily . Sarino came to the US when he was 8, so I think it would be ~ 1920 before Anthony was born.
Their father was Angelo Torrise (Torrisi) b. Oct. 14, 1886 in Acireale or Catania, Sicily; d. Jan. 8, 1956 Bellevue, Ohio. Their name was changed from Torrisi to Torrise when they came to the US. He married Felicia Sberna and I can find her roots well enough.

Before Angelo, there is nothing I can find. I do know he had a brother named Michael. I don’t know his father or mother’s names. I thought the clue of arriving in the US in ~ 1920 would have helped, but I came up with Angelo Torrisi that arrived in the early 1900s on the Germania “with bro”, another on the Canopic in 1905, so I’m sure those aren’t him. I do not think his parents came over with him. Not sure about his brother Michael.

Well, that’s it. Thanks for looking at this post – maybe you have the clue I need!
~* Sonya *~
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Help! Need parents of Angelo Torrisi (Torrise)

Post by Biff83 »

WWI Draft Reg Card with different birth date--15 Oct 1887
Born town of Acireale, province of Catania.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/6482/00 ... sePUB=true

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
sjst1

Post by sjst1 »

Thanks Biff. I do have that as well, but there are no parent's names on the draft card. :)
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Angelo Torrise in the U.S., Social Security Applications

Name:
Angelo Torrise

Race:
White

Birth Date:
16 Oct 1887

Birth Place:
Acircale, Italy

Father Name:
Rosario Torrise

Mother Name:
Agata Crivuno

Type of Claim:
Original SSN.

Notes:
Jan 1937: Name listed as ANGELO TORRISE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage record of Angelo Torrisi and Felicia Sberna
Index#36
1911 Oct 4th in the town of Sant'Agata di Militello appeared Angelo Torrisi age 23 blacksmith born in Acircale son of deceased Rosario Torrisi and Agata Rigano??residents in Catania married Felicia Sberna age 17 seamstress born in Sant'Agata di Militello daughter of Antonio Sberna resides in Cleveland Ohio and Calogera Lo Nero resides in Sant'Agata di Militello

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,244737401

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Bravo, Marty! :)

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
sjst1

Post by sjst1 »

Marty - this is marvelous! Thank you so much for finding this and interpreting for me! Now I can move ahead with the family tree. Much thanks to you!
Sonya
sjst1

Post by sjst1 »

Hi Marty -- Can you tell me where it says that Rosario Torrisi is deceased in the document? I ask because I've now found a ship's manifest with him named after this marriage date. I used the translator online and couldn't find any word in the document for "deceased". Thanks!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

fu Rosario=deceased

Marty

Marty
sjst1

Post by sjst1 »

Thanks for the lesson in Italian, Marty!