Need Help Translating this Birth Record-Abandoned Baby

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
asearch2find

Need Help Translating this Birth Record-Abandoned Baby

Post by asearch2find »

I would very much appreciate if someone can translate this birth record for me. The little that I can decipher from this record is that a baby was found outside someone's door, abandoned. I am wondering if the woman (Elisabetta Cancro) kept the baby, because the baby was given a name (Michele Lentini.) If she didn't keep the baby, then who took custody? I did some research on the village of Savoia di Lucania, and found that in 1873, the village was known as Salvia di Lucania. Therefore, towards the end of this record, the name Teresa Salvia, may not be a person at all, as it may be referring to the town's municipality (Salvia.) Then if this is true, am I misreading the name Teresa? Maybe it is Terza? Not sure, but I sure do need help deciphering this record!

Many thanks in anticipation of your assistance! :-)
Attachments
Michele Lentini birth 1873.jpg
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Re: Need Help Translating this Birth Record-Abandoned Baby

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

#47, Salvia, 28 Sep 1873.
Birth record of Michele Lentini, abandoned outside the door of Elisabetta Cancro (daughter of Giovanni, age 26, peasant) at about 3.30 am of the same day. The child was born about 3 days before, and was entrusted to the custody of the wet nurse Teresa Salvia.
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
asearch2find

Re: Need Help Translating this Birth Record-Abandoned Baby

Post by asearch2find »

Thank you so much, Marcello! Grazie Mille!