Professional Genealogist Records Search Request

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Professional Genealogist Records Search Request

Post by wisemonkey »

I am curious to know what it would cost or if it is even possible to have a professional genealogist do a search for my 4 times great grandparents and their parents in Scala Coeli, Cosenza, Calabria, Italy? He died in 1795 I do not have their birth dates.

I've been researching on my own for the past several years and have reached a dead end.

Thanks in advance for your response.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: Professional Genealogist Records Search Request

Post by Anizio »

They'll charge you can arm and a leg. I'm guessing writing the parish priest didn't work? If not try it, if you have no choice be prepared to spend money.

Also most professionals will not accept 1 request. They'll want you to make a minimum of $400 (US) worth of requests, and what you get for that depends on which genealogist and how bad they rip you off (they all rip you off, lets be honest on that)
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

Anizio wrote:They'll charge you can arm and a leg. I'm guessing writing the parish priest didn't work? If not try it, if you have no choice be prepared to spend money.

Also most professionals will not accept 1 request. They'll want you to make a minimum of $400 (US) worth of requests, and what you get for that depends on which genealogist and how bad they rip you off (they all rip you off, lets be honest on that)
Ok, all the genealogists rip off... well, ok, then ... why do not you do by yourself? It's the same as saying that all the Americans love war, or are stupid or whatever...if you think you are so good, and all the genealogists are thieves, you only have to buy your ticket (do you pay it? when I take my car, it only moves if I put fuel in it... stupid car) come to the country from where your ancestros came, pay for a hotel, pay for your food, and see that you also have to come back and study, let's say 4-5 year Italian language and, when you're familiar with it, have some Latin (it can be useful). Usually a genealogist gives you proofs that document the information given: you can read the docs or, if you cannot, you have to trust him. Genealogists are professionals, just as lawyer and doctors, You just have to trust them. If you believe you're better then your lawyer, or your dentist, for instance, you can change him or you can do by yourself. In this second case, please, do not complain if you go to jail (or your teeth rot)... It's your fault.
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Marcelo-I pm'ed you regarding this subject. Please reply. Thank you.
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

Hello,

I have been dealing with a researcher in Italy for several months. While her hourly fee is high, not only does she do quality work, but she contacts the appropriate offices (whether it be the local civil office, the parish, or the provincial archives) beforehand and tries to establish rapport, which has often led to easy access to normally not so accessible records. She does not have a minimum; she did ask for a deposit on my first project, but such would be expected when two parties do not know each other and are contracting for a service to be performed. She has provided me with digital copies of all records located and will translate as well (although I have not needed that service, sans a few in depth details). I have primarily obtained birth/baptism, marriage, and death records, but have also obtained military records and fogli di famiglia (created during the 1931 Census - they contain a wealth of information). Also, due to her locality and familiarity with many comuni, I have also asked her to obtain civil records in other areas of Italy (I also research my collateral lines, but not enough to dedicate an entire project to), which she has been able to obtain in a relatively short period of time, at low cost.

I understand that there are shysters out there; there always will be. However, that doesn't mean one should overlook the opportunity for expeditious research. Granted, it can get pricey, but genealogy in itself can be pricey, depending on what you're looking for (i.e. look at how the price of certified copies of birth and death records have inflated since the genealogy boom - when I started in 2002, I could get uncertified copies of those records for less than a dollar a pop; then my state disbanded with uncertified copies and the price for certified blew up from $10 to $23 in just a matter of years.

Sure, you can write to the appropriate authorities, but it can take months (if they are amicable - some don't even respond), and, factoring in the language barrier, it just becomes too cumbersome. I, personally, would love to go and inspect the records and do the research myself. However, I lack the lingual capacity and, even if you were to make it there, the parishes usually do not have the amount of time available for one to do a single swoop through the records; it usually takes several visits. My ancestor's parish, for instance, was undergoing renovation during my first project so they limited my researcher's time. On a later project (to the civil office), the official she spoke with was not present that day and they were not going to let her access the records at all; however, she was able to convince them to allow her access for a short period of time. Personally, I would much rather spend a little extra money and have the record in a timely manner than to attempt to write and just pray for a response. Of course, the fact that the parish records for my ancestors aren't in the greatest condition may also be a factor in that.

Ray
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

I have used Pallente Center for Italian Research, Deborah has helped me with my Italian family research. To hire any professional genealogist is expensive, I find Deborah is very reasonable and has established connections in Italy that help her with her research.

Below is her link.

https://pallantecenter.wordpress.com
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Marcello_DAleo wrote:
Anizio wrote:They'll charge you can arm and a leg. I'm guessing writing the parish priest didn't work? If not try it, if you have no choice be prepared to spend money.

Ok, all the genealogists rip off... well, ok, then ... why do not you do by yourself? It's the same as saying that all the Americans love war, or are stupid or whatever...if you think you are so good, and all the genealogists are thieves, you only have to buy your ticket (do you pay it? when I take my car, it only moves if I put fuel in it... stupid car) come to the country from where your ancestors came, pay for a hotel, pay for your food, and see that you also have to come back and study, let's say 4-5 year Italian language and, when you're familiar with it, have some Latin (it can be useful). Usually a genealogist gives you proofs that document the information given: you can read the docs or, if you cannot, you have to trust him. Genealogists are professionals, just as lawyer and doctors, You just have to trust them. If you believe you're better then your lawyer, or your dentist, for instance, you can change him or you can do by yourself. In this second case, please, do not complain if you go to jail (or your teeth rot)... It's your fault.
First, I am a lawyer, and I still say genealogists are rip offs. I know this because I do it myself and am so experienced. Legal fees are high because court fees are high. Genealogist fees are high for no justifiable reason other than them making tremendous profit, like charging $100 for a record simply obtained by asking for it via email from the town. I have asked for quotes for dozens of genealogists in Italy, Canada, and the US, and each one charges way more than I know it costs. One wanted 700 to obtain 4 civil records. One wanted 400 to browse a single microfilm from FamilySearch.com ( this was from the Pallente Center for Italian Research - if you are ignorant it seems reasonable. If you know better, you'd know she was asking $400 dollars for 1 hour at most of research and the $8 cost of ordering the film).

I DO do it myself, and I recommend everyone and anyone take the time to do it themselves, learn how to do it properly, and obviously use this forum to check for mistakes. You do not need years of Italian and Latin. Basic Italian is enough for almost all records which are standard form, and Latin is similarly not necessary because almost all records share the same common form. Heck its 2015, Google Translate is enough. "Son of" "from" "farmer" "wife" - not complicated things to figure out. Handwriting help is the bigger issue.

Sorry if my comment hurts your pride, but I stand by it. The only time a genealogist's overpriced services are worth it are if you absolutely cannot obtain it any other way, but most people should get to hundreds of direct ancestors on their own before ever needing to consider that.

Again the Pallente centre is 100% of rip off, one of the biggest I've encountered, the biggest was a genealogist who calls himself Istituto Araldico Genealogico del Regno di Napoli. If you're going to be ignorant and not gonna take the time to figure out how genealogy works and how easy it is (and do it properly) then the world is full of "professionals" happy to rip you off and take your money.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
rjmichaels
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjmichaels »

I am an attorney as well. While Court costs do come into play, they usually are inconsequential (depending on the nature of the case). One should seek genealogical services like one does (should) a lawyer. Identify them, research them, contact them. People are looking to rip you off all the time, whether it be the gas station attendant, the bartender, or the genealogist; the key is knowing and calling it out. One or two POS shouldn't ruin hiring researchers. They provide invaluable services (for me at least). Granted, I also exhaust all civil records in my search, so it is mainly parish records I seek.

Just a though.
Ray
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

Anizio wrote:Sorry if my comment hurts your pride, but I stand by it.
It is not a matter of hurt pride. I can't feel wounded by a person who use to offend and put all in a bundle to support his ideas. Your comment is very offensive to the entire category of genealogists, including me. The fact that you have contacted dishonest genealogists, does not mean that everyone else is the same. But I realize that right now I'm just wasting my time.
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
ffusiak
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ffusiak »

This post saddens me and does nothing for the quality and appreciation of the support I have received from these boards and the "master" members. I would hope that the admistrator would remove this post.

I have used professional genealogist throughout the years particularly when I hit a road block or cannot translate records adequately (German and Russian). As with anything, it is buyer be aware of the qualifications and services render such as a lawyer should know the potential of libelous statements without supporting facts and documentations.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

While I know for a fact that some so-called genealogists do 'rip-off' unsuspecting clients I am offended at some of the remarks in this posts. There are good people out there and most do not rip off their clients. In fact fees tend to be very reasonable. I hope the people I have done work for over the past 15 years would agree.

I have also been active in raising funds to restore parish records in Picinisco and Patrica. This year I am concentrating on Sora. There are two books both from the 1600's that are in terrible condition. If you would like to make a donation please contact me for instructions.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

Italysearcher wrote:While I know for a fact that some so-called genealogists do 'rip-off' unsuspecting clients I am offended at some of the remarks in this posts. There are good people out there and most do not rip off their clients. In fact fees tend to be very reasonable. I hope the people I have done work for over the past 15 years would agree.
I agree wholeheartedly! Working with Italysearcher has been essential in the reconstruction of my family history.

Of course you have to choose an upstanding professional in any discipline. That said, I am happy to recommend Italysearcher.
TerraLavoro
James
Rookie
Rookie

Post by James »

Italysearcher wrote:While I know for a fact that some so-called genealogists do 'rip-off' unsuspecting clients I am offended at some of the remarks in this posts. There are good people out there and most do not rip off their clients. In fact fees tend to be very reasonable. I hope the people I have done work for over the past 15 years would agree.

I have also been active in raising funds to restore parish records in Picinisco and Patrica. This year I am concentrating on Sora. There are two books both from the 1600's that are in terrible condition. If you would like to make a donation please contact me for instructions.
Do you search Genova archives, military records?

-James
James
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

To say all genealogists are rip offs is not a fair statement
In every phase of life there are ripoffs and good people. Marcello is good people and a great genealogist from my own personal experience. He is through, and kind, reasonable and very good at what he does. My advice is check your researcher out before hiring just like anyone you hire in life you do..................

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Edward Keeports
Elite
Elite

Post by Edward Keeports »

adelfio wrote:To say all genealogists are rip offs is not a fair statement
In every phase of life there are ripoffs and good people. Marcello is good people and a great genealogist from my own personal experience. He is through, and kind, reasonable and very good at what he does. My advice is check your researcher out before hiring just like anyone you hire in life you do..................

Marty

Wholeheartedly agreed. No doubt there are bad, dishonest, genealogists, but most are not like that.