Josephine Peligrino (Maria Giuseppia)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Josephine Peligrino (Maria Giuseppia)

Post by phishfood »

I have a puzzle to figure out here on my great grandmother Josephine Peligrino. Here is the info. I have.

Family says she was born in 1894. I just gor her marriage certificate the other day and it states she was married in 1910 and that she was 20 years old. So if that is true then she was really born in 1890. Then it states on the marriage certificate that she was born in the U.S.A. but on the 1930 census it says she immigrated over in 1897 and on the 1920 census it says she immigrated over in 1900. Also on her marriage certificate it states her paretns are Thos. Peligrino and her mom is Annie Caruso (never knew that). So my question is where do I begin to look for her birth record? Some family members said she may have been born in Salerno, Italy. I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kim
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Josephine Peligrino (Maria Giuseppia)

Post by suanj »

phishfood wrote:I have a puzzle to figure out here on my great grandmother Josephine Peligrino. Here is the info. I have.

Family says she was born in 1894. I just gor her marriage certificate the other day and it states she was married in 1910 and that she was 20 years old. So if that is true then she was really born in 1890. Then it states on the marriage certificate that she was born in the U.S.A. but on the 1930 census it says she immigrated over in 1897 and on the 1920 census it says she immigrated over in 1900. Also on her marriage certificate it states her paretns are Thos. Peligrino and her mom is Annie Caruso (never knew that). So my question is where do I begin to look for her birth record? Some family members said she may have been born in Salerno, Italy. I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kim
Hi Kim, really, the better option, as already I wrote you in my previous replies, it could be this ship's maniofest if you read, are in line 5: Gaetano Pellegrini, line 6: Maria Giuseppa Pellegrini, line 7 Luigi Forlano, and line 8: Anna CARUSO... Postiglione is in Salerno province.... it is an possibility...regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

suanj,

I looked at the ship manifest again. I have a few questions. If the dad is Gaetano then why on the marriage certificate (Luigi's and Josephine's ((Maria Giuseppia))) would it say Thos. Peligrino? Is there a connection somehow to the name when translated to an American name? Also, If the mom is traveling with them, then why would they have different last names (Pellegrino/Caruso)? Lastly, On line 9 could that be a brother traveling with them (Nicolina Caruso)? Wanted to get your opinion. Thanks again and I will wait to hear from you.

Kim
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, Kim, I say...:
"an possibility".... only an possibility.....

and however it is an coincidence....

and about the last names, as you know, the italian women they have always in the life, the father's surname..

so for exemple in Italy, in the past (and aslo currently), Anna Caruso if was single, she was Anna Caruso name, and if married was always Anna Caruso in (english also=in; or cgt/coniugata=married) Pellegrino, so the husband surname for italian women is an adding only.. that it can be mentioned or not, but in all documents, in all signatures, the italian women they have always the own surname...

because they have always the same identity of birth.... and this is an certainty in the time... however dear kim, this ship's manifest is the only with some probability... perhaps is better if you can find some other detail in USA for an better and sure search.. regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

suanj,

I am not sure what else I can do in the U.S. here. Any suggestions? The ship manifest seems like a good lead to me.

Kim
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

suanj,

I am not sure what else I can do in the U.S. here. Any suggestions? The ship manifest seems like a good lead to me.

Kim
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Kim, you can find the church record about Josephine's marriage?? regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Yes, Kim, as suanj suggests, the church marriage record will have some answers for you. You will have to visit the church, call the church or write to the church to get it. (It never hurts to include a small donation.)

In the meanwhile, the 1910 census may also be helpful. Josephine got married in 1910, right? So she might be listed with her husband on that census or she might be listed with her parents. It depends on the date of the census and the date of the marriage. We can help you look for her if you tell us what city she was in.
Donna Pellegrin
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

From what family has said she was never married in a "church". Her and her husband just got married at city hall. I have that marriage record. The info on that is as follows on her:

Married: August 17, 1910
Josephine's Age: 20
Birthplace: U.S. (don't know if that is true since the older census records said she immigrated over here)
Father's Name: Thos. Peligrino
Mother's Name: Annie Caruso

At the time of Marriage she lived in Newark, New Jersey. That is what it says on marriage certificate as far as the residence goes. In the 1920 census she lived in Amsterdam, New York and also the 1930 census. Do you need any other information to help you look for her? Let me know I can let you know what I do and do not have. Thanks and I will wait to hear from you.

Kim
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Kim

Have you tried to find the family in the 1910 census?
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

No I have not. I don't know where to look. Should I start in New Jersey since that is where she got married? I don't know where the parents lived. If they are not in New Jersey I have no idea where to look. Any thoughts?

Kim
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

I would start searching in NJ, looking in Neward and then outside. Folks usually got married where they lived, especially where the bride lived. I see she married in August 1910 and the census was done in April of 1910. Hopefully you will find her with her parents.

What is the name of her husband?

Give it a try. It is very rewarding to search and find your ancestors!
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

VaDeb,

Her Husband is Luigi Marrone. I did a prelim search in the census today and did not find anything. I guess I will have to dig some more. I don't have a lot of luck when it comes to census records. I found one on my own and the rest was found by others through this website which has been a real blessing for me. Thanks.

Kim
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Kim,
I worked a bit on your Peligrino question.
Like you, I found more questions than answers.

Question from above posts: Where was Joesphine (Maria Giuseppa) PELIGRINO Marrone in 1910?

I found her husband in 1917 on his WWI Draft Registration Card living
in Amsterdam, Montgomery, NY
If you haven't seen his card it's on Ancestry under: Luigi Massone - he
signed Luigi MARRONE
Born 13 Dec 1887 in
(this is a guess, I can't quite read it)
Pinera? (Ronco Canavese) Torino? (Piedmonte) Italy
Wife & 4? Children
Worked at JK Stewart Co (textile mfg)

I can't find his Census for 1920, but to narrow your search, a check of the children's birth dates and locations may indicate the state they were living in for 1910. You indicated you have this family on the 1920 census.

I also looked for her parents in NJ in 1910.
I found a Gaetano (Thomas) PELLEGRINO in Kearny, Hudson, NJ for 1910, 1920 and 1930. No Josephina living with this Gaetano - if this is the right one.

I hope this helps a bit,
Valarie
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

Valarie,

That is my big question. Where was Josephine and her parents in 1910? Did her parents even live in the states? Did they just come over to see her get married? Don't have answers to that.

It does look like you found Luigi. He was born in Civatella Casanova, Italy. I have proof of that. I don't have access to Ancestry but thanks for the info. In the 1920 and 1930 census they (Luigi and Jospehine) were living in Amsterdam, NY.

Which children's birthdates are you speaking of to narrow down the search? If it it Jospehine's siblings I have not a clue how many brothers or sisters she has unfortunately. Let me know if you have any other thoughts and thanks for the search that you did do.:)

Kim