Geremia Surname - Menfi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
curtisl

Geremia Surname - Menfi

Post by curtisl »

Looking for information on Salvatore Geremia (DOB 8/19/1895) son of Pellegrino Geremia, mothe unknown. I believe that this information is correct per SSDI info on Salvatore. I am uncertain if Menfi was birthplace. I do know that he left from Menfi to enter the US at Ellis on July 7, 1911 to be with a brother (possibly Antonio or Giovanni). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
astrorse

Post by astrorse »

Well, the Ellis Island manifest states both his last residence and birthplace as Menfi.
zA zA
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

How were you aware of the fact that his mothers name is unknown since SSDI would establish birthplace and parentage on his application. Peter?
Jeaniey

Re: Geremia Surname - Menfi

Post by Jeaniey »

Yes, Salvatore was born in Menfi. He had 3 brothers, Anthony, Guisseppe and Biaggio (my great-grandfather) His father is Pellegrino and his mother is Peterina Calogera or Peterina Calendra. I have records with both these last names, not sure why.
Pellegrino, his father, was born in Caltabellota, Italy as was his mother. Pellegrino's mother and father's name was Mario Geremia and Paola Pumilia.
Hope this helps.

I have a pretty extensive history on this Geremia family. Feel free to contact me.
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Geremia Surname - Menfi

Post by carubia »

The Pellegrino Geremia who was born in 1855 (5 Aug 1855) in Caltabellotta to Mario Geremia and Paola Pumilia was probably a different person. That Pellegrino moved to Ribera and married Giuseppa Meli there on 8 Dec 1877. They had children Mario, Paola, Maria, Angela, Anna, Mario (again, the first one having died), Marianna, and Giuseppe in Ribera between 1879 and 1897. Pellegrino took a trip to the US in 1904, to stay with his son Giuseppe in Elizabeth, NJ. The manifest clearly indicates that he resided in Ribera.

I can see your tree on Ancestry, Jeaniey, and it is riddled with errors. You have linked this Pellegrino to a naturalization record for Pellegrino Geremia, born in Caltabellotta on 6 Mar 1883, with wife Peterina, born in Palermo on 11 May 1882 . And yet you have a son Biagio for him and Petrina who was born in 1887 in Menfi, before Peterina was even born in 1893 (according to your tree)! It seems that you're mixing up at least 3 different families.