Help with reading birth record.

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
boris673g

Help with reading birth record.

Post by boris673g »

Hi everybody! Hope everyone is well.

I have located my 2nd great grandmother's birth record online. Her name was Filomena Traficante. I'm having a little trouble deciphering the handwriting. I know that her parents were Leonardo Traficante and Rubina Errichiello. I think it says Leonardo's dad was Vito. Other than that, I can't make anything else out!

Here's the link:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Jen
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Help with reading birth record.

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Birth No 305: Filomena Traficante

Recorded on 11 August 1860, 9 pm, before Giuseppe Michele Giannattasio, Mayor, Rionero.

Appearing was Leonardo Traficante, son of the late Vito, 33 yo, Contadino (Peasant Farmer), living in Rionero, to present a female baby, who he reported was born to his wife Rubina Errichiello, 26 yo, living in Rionero and to himself, the declarant, age as above, profession as above, living as above. Filomena was born on the day 11 (11 August) at 6 am and baptised the same day at the Chiesa di Madra.

Witnesses: Giuseppe Pietrafesa, of deceased Carmine, 45, Servente (Attendant), living Rionero, Strada La Fontana and Giovanni Pietrafesa, son of the late Domenicantonio, 43, Servente, living Rionero, Strada di Morti. (It looks like there is also a church called Chiesa di Morti.)

Angela :)
boris673g

Post by boris673g »

Thank you Angela!!!! Could I impose upon you again?? I found Leonardo and Cherubina's (what a great name) marriage record. I think I have the very basics understood. However, I cannot make out her mom's name (Chiara?) and I have NO idea what all the writing on the bottom is! Thanks again SO much!

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You are very welcome, Jen.

The mother's name at a quick glance looks like Chiara Vella. All the writing at the bottom is a list of the documents (allegati) that were presented in order for the marriage to take place, and they are really important and very helpful to the genealogist. I'm expecting visitors shortly, so need to prepare. I'll come back to this when they have gone and list the allegati for you and check on the surname.

Angela :D
boris673g

Post by boris673g »

Angela, PLEASE take your time and enjoy your guests. Thanks a TON!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Yes, definitely Chiara Vella.

Here is the list of Allegati mentioned. Some of the writing is a bit tricky.

1. Extract of Birth of Groom
2. Death Extract of Groom's father who died in Rionero on 24 August 1839
3. Death Extract of paternal grandfather who died in Rionero on 7 March 1827
4. The verbal consent of his mother for this marriage?
5. Birth Extract of the Bride
6. The verbal consent of her parents for this marriage?
7. The certificate proving that the marriage banns had been posted and that there was no opposition to the marriage? (Basically the Notificazioni – Marriage Banns)

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

boris673g wrote:Thank you Angela!!!! Could I impose upon you again?? I found Leonardo and Cherubina's (what a great name) marriage record. I think I have the very basics understood. However, I cannot make out her mom's name (Chiara?) and I have NO idea what all the writing on the bottom is! Thanks again SO much!

The record, dated Dec 29, 1855 is the "marriage promise" record. The actual marriage date is written on the right column and is February 20, 1856. The marriage was celebrated in the by the parish Priest in the Chiesa Madre (Main Church).
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Marriage Allegati: Leonardo and Cherubina

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi again

So, I've located the Allegati for this marriage. It starts here at Image 300 with a "cover page".

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 5.jpg.html

Next page, image 301 is Leonardo's Birth Extract
and so on

Mostly, the documents tend to appear in the same order as is listed, but not always.

The original birth records for bride and groom, if you don't already have them, should be on line, along with Leonardo's father's original Death Record (No 360) in the 1839 Records, and his paternal grandfather's original Death Record (No 43) in the 1827 records. If you need any help with the translations, just post here and someone will be happy to help.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Brava Angela!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

liviomoreno wrote:Brava Angela!
Grazie, Livio. It means a lot.
boris673g

Post by boris673g »

I don't know how to begin to thank you (both!). You've opened up so much for me. The people on this message board are so helpful and kind. I owe you a big bottle of wine, Angela! xo
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

boris673g wrote:I don't know how to begin to thank you (both!). You've opened up so much for me. The people on this message board are so helpful and kind. I owe you a big bottle of wine, Angela! xo
You are very welcome, Jen. I am very happy to have been of some help with your journey. Thank you for coming back to the forum to say "thank you". Yes, this forum is a very special place with very special, helpful, kind, generous people - ie it is very Italian. Look forward to future interaction.

boris673g

Post by boris673g »

Of course, I have another question! After reviewing the Allegati, I found Cherubina's birth record. It seems that a woman named Rosa Mazza reported the birth, not Angelo Errichiello. Is this normal? Where was dad?? Was Cherubina illegitimate?

Here's the birth record:

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

boris673g wrote:Of course, I have another question! After reviewing the Allegati, I found Cherubina's birth record. It seems that a woman named Rosa Mazza reported the birth, not Angelo Errichiello. Is this normal? Where was dad?? Was Cherubina illegitimate?

Here's the birth record:

All good :) Yes, correct, in this case the father did not present the child, nor report the birth. It was the midwife (Levatrice) who did this. If you look at the top of the second page it tells us that Cherubina was born “nella casa di essi coniugi” (they married) which I interpret as “the married couple – her parents” “or the spouses – her parents”. I believe the parents were married and Cherubina was legitimate.

In this case it doesn't tell us why the midwife appeared to report the birth instead of the father, which was customary . I know that in later records there is often a note at the bottom of the record, above the signatures, making a note to say why the father didn't present the child/report the birth. (He may have been sick, out of town. It doesn't tells us why in this case.)

So Cherubina was born on 3 September 1837 at 7 am. Her parents were Chiara Valla (looks like it is spelt Valla here), aged 30(1807), and Angelo Errichiello, aged 30(1807), Contadino (Peasant Farmer).

boris673g

Post by boris673g »

I see! Thank you Angela!