Help Find Giuseppe Santoro and Filomena Pagano Please

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
magbag1
Rookie
Rookie

Help Find Giuseppe Santoro and Filomena Pagano Please

Post by magbag1 »

Please help me find when and where Giuseppe Santoro and Filomena Pagano were born in Italy. They would be my dad's Mother's Grandparents on her mom's side. Her Mom was Giacomina/Minnie Santoro. My Great Great Grandparents.

I am pretty sure Giacomina was born in the Petina Salerno Campania Italy area, but exactly where I can not tell you.

Giuseppe was born September 1843 and Filomena was born January 1845. I am assuming in Italy.

I can not read Italian if you have suggestions on where I can look so it will have to be in English.

Thank you,
Margaret
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Help Find Giuseppe Santoro and Filomena Pagano Please

Post by carubia »

Did Giuseppe or Filomena ever go to the US or some other country? Did they die outside Italy? Where were their children born? How do you know their approximate dates of birth?
magbag1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magbag1 »

Giuseppe Santoro died before Filomena Pagano came to the US with their last two children, Giacomina Santoro and Giuseppe Santoro. As far as I know all their children were born in the Petina, Salerno, Campania, Italy area. Some of the siblings came to the US. The ones that did died in the US. I know for fact Giacomina came to the US and died here as she is my Great Grandmother and I just got the marriage certificate for her and my Great Grandfather Francesco Moia, had children and died in Groton, CT and I know that because I just got their death certificates as well. With help from a researcher here I got a manifest with the date Filomena Pagano came to the US with the two children and it states the ages of the three on it. The certificates verify Giacominas birth date and death dates. From researching on ancestry and seeing names of husband and wives and parents and children I summized that the birthyear and month for the Giuseppe spouse had to be correct. And the same for Filomena his spouse, the mom who traveled with the two Santoro children. I am wanting to find my Great Grandfather's parents but have much less to go on unfortunately. I only have their names from the marriage certificate.
Margaret
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Does the passenger manifest for Filomena Pagano and Giacomina Santoro list their last place of residence or place of birth? What year and what port was the manifest from?

Did Giacomina ever naturalize to become an American citizen? If so, in what year?

Your GGF Francesco Moia met your GGM in America, right?

Have you found Filomena's death cert?

What does your great-grandparents' marriage cert have as their places of birth? Just Italy, or is it more specific? Is there a separate marriage license application? That often has more info than the certificate.

When was Giacomina born?
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I see from another thread that on the ship's manifest the last residence of Filomena and her children was Petina. That's the natural place to look for their birth records. The marriage and death records from the US that you've found so far don't have any more info on where there were from. If you can find it, Giuseppe Santoro's WWI or WWII draft card may indicate his town of birth. Otherwise, naturalization records are the only other US source likely to have it.

If Petina records are not online then I recommend writing to Petina and asking them for a copy of Giacomina's or Filomena's birth cert.

BTW, when you start on a new thread about people you've already discussed, please provide a link to the previous thread so as to avoid having people repeating work that others have already done.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Children of Giuseppe Santoro and Filomena Pagano
Nome: Raffale Santoro
Classe nascita: 1869
Comune di nascita: Petina
Full text: Santoro Raffale di Giuseppe e Pagano Filomena nato il 3/5/1869 a Petina di professione bracciante

Nome: Gioacchino Santoro
Classe nascita: 1862
Full text: Santoro Gioacchino di Giuseppe e Pagano Filomena nato il 26\7\1862 a Petina di professione bracciante
Santoro

Nome: Vincenzo Santoro
Classe: 1863
Full text: Santoro Vincenzo di Giuseppe e Pagano Filomena nato il 1/12/1863 a Petina di professione Bracciante

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hello, I think we might be cousins, my great grandfather was Gioacchino Santoro from Petina, Italy and came to Groton, CT. USA with his brothers Vincenzo (James) Santoro & Raffele Santoro. I will look into the family history to see if I can find any info for you on Giuseppe & Filomena
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Nome: Gioacchino Santoro
Classe: 1862
Full text: Santoro Gioacchino di Giuseppe e Pagano Filomena nato il 26\7\1862 a Petina di professione bracciante

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
magbag1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magbag1 »

Marty,

I believe you maybe right. Who are some of your aunts and uncles? Do you have some dates for me? I have a family tree set up on ancestry with who and what I do know and maybe I can figure out where you are on it. If you are right you will be the first one on this part of the tree I have come across!

Margaret
Margaret
Mark

Post by Mark »

Gioacchino Santoro's daughter Filomena (Millie) Santoro was my grandmother she married Ralph Santacroce and they had 4 children Joe, Rudy, Ray and my mother Portia. Portia Santacroce married Vernon Collins and they had 6 children Philomena, Rosella, Verna, Mark, Michael ans Teresa. I have a powerpoint disk with all the information of this branch of the family on it but my computer has decided to break down so i can not access the info at this time. as soon as I can get to it I will send you more information
Mark
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

magbag1 wrote:Marty,

I believe you maybe right. Who are some of your aunts and uncles? Do you have some dates for me? I have a family tree set up on ancestry with who and what I do know and maybe I can figure out where you are on it. If you are right you will be the first one on this part of the tree I have come across!

Margaret
Im not related

Marty

Marty
magbag1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magbag1 »

Sorry I responded to the wrong post but you did respond to my post because it's right there, what were you saying? It's not in English. Do you have some information?

Margaret
Margaret
magbag1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magbag1 »

Mark wrote:Gioacchino Santoro's daughter Filomena (Millie) Santoro was my grandmother she married Ralph Santacroce and they had 4 children Joe, Rudy, Ray and my mother Portia. Portia Santacroce married Vernon Collins and they had 6 children Philomena, Rosella, Verna, Mark, Michael ans Teresa. I have a powerpoint disk with all the information of this branch of the family on it but my computer has decided to break down so i can not access the info at this time. as soon as I can get to it I will send you more information
Mark
Mark,

Can you make me a copy of the disk and send it to me maybe? Where are you located? I am in WV. How old are you? I am 62. If I'm right then Minnie Santoro/Moyer, my great grandmother was a sister to Gioacchino Santoro, which makes her Millie's Aunt cause Minnie was Millie's dad's sister. This is cool!

Margaret,
Margaret
Mark

Post by Mark »

Margaret,
Yes I will make a copy for you, I am 53 years old and I live in Groton, CT. in the house that Gioacchino and his brothers built in 1898 I wish I could attach a photo of this house house for you to see I can send you some pictures of Gioacchino Millie and Ralph if you send me your email address. Your right this is very cool
Mark
magbag1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magbag1 »

My email address is abbie2001@yahoo.com

Margaret,
Margaret