Need Basic Help on translating Birth Records!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
SteveJ

Need Basic Help on translating Birth Records!

Post by SteveJ »

Hello,
I'm trying to make my way through the data base at:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... mona/Nati/
&
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... uzzi/Nati/

This is in order to find a birth record of Domenico Gizzi ( a.k.a. "Izzo").

Domenico is the father of my Grandfather Christopher who was born around 1885 so I have hopes that I will find something in this timeframe. The problem is that I don't speak Italian. I've been trying to make use of this translation of the birth records at:
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... Record.jpg

BUT the translation does not seem to match up line for line. I can figure out the first name of the child but cannot determine where the Father's last name is.

For instance, I see (or I think that I see!) that this record is for a child named "Domenico":
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 7.jpg.html

Is the Father on Line #6? (Carmelo?) or Line # 11 (Angelo?) Line 15 ? other?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Need Basic Help on translating Birth Records!

Post by Tessa78 »

Carmella del Greco appeared before the official to present the child, Domenico. She was the midwife who assisted with the birth.
Father is Angelo di Giusto, 39, peasant farmer.
Mother is Serafina del Vecchico, 35, his wife.
Child was born on 23 March 1862

If you give us the details of Christopher's birth in 1885 (place of birth, mother's name) maybe we can assist you in locating Domenico's birth :D

T.
SteveJ

Post by SteveJ »

Thanks, Tessa!!

Well, I've brought up the topic elsewhere: http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... logy/36207

I've followed up on Marty's suggestion and wrote away to get Christopher's birth records.

If there is an easy way to navigate that online database and find Domenico's, then I'm all ears! Please let me know if you have any suggestions. (e.g. is there an index somewhere? if not; I'm willing to go record-by-record if I have to).

Best,

Steve
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Steve!

Thanks for the link to your other thread.

Can you tell me why you are searching records in Anversa degli Abruzzi, when you stated in your earlier posts that Domenico and Crescenzo were from Sulmona? (they are only about 14 km apart)

T
SteveJ

Post by SteveJ »

Tessa78 wrote: Can you tell me why you are searching records in Anversa degli Abruzzi, when you stated in your earlier posts that Domenico and Crescenzo were from Sulmona? (they are only about 14 km apart)

T
Yes, I can but not without some embarrassment. :(

I seemed to have bookmarked a couple of wrong links. My searches thru the years 1862 and 1861 are no good. Argh... :cry:

That's the bad news. The good news is that I've been downloading every "Domenico" over the past several weeks that I've found from the years 1861 thru 1865 and the last 3 years (I just checked) are all from Sulmona. I'll only have to get back on track for '61 and '62. By the way, with your help above, I've now been able to determine that I have not yet located my Great Grandfather's birth from the years '63 to '65. But...I'll keep at it.

Tessa...I'd be lost stumbling about in Italian genealogical cyberspace without you!! Many thanks!

Steve
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Steve,

I have been searching the 1862 (October thru December) births to help you search for your GGF Domenico Gizzi.

While searching I came across this record which may be connected to your family, but I am not sure how.

It is a birth for Domenico di Lauria in 1862 on 24 December. Born to Bernardo di Lauria, 32, and to his wife, Filomena Petrilli, 23.
What is interesting is the side note...
It states that 25 March 1886, Domenico di Lauria was married(?) with Angela Teresa Gizzi (record #32) in Solmona.
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

May want to hold onto this record until we find the one you are looking for. :-)

T.
SteveJ

Post by SteveJ »

Thanks again, Tessa! Once I get my self accustomed to what's on these records, I'll probably save off all Gizzi records that I find. You never know how things will fit in at a later point. I assume that Gizzi is not a common Surname, ... or is it?

Steve
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

SteveJ wrote:Thanks again, Tessa! Once I get my self accustomed to what's on these records, I'll probably save off all Gizzi records that I find. You never know how things will fit in at a later point. I assume that Gizzi is not a common Surname, ... or is it?

Steve
Here is the distribution of the Gizzi surname in the Abruzzo Region today...

Gizzi 49.98 L'Aquila L'Aquila
Gizzi 21.60 Pescocostanzo L'Aquila
Gizzi 16.62 Sulmona L'Aquila
Gizzi 16.20 Pescara Pescara
Gizzi 15.54 Roccaspinalveti Chieti
Gizzi 15.30 Collarmele L'Aquila
Gizzi 14.45 Avezzano L'Aquila
Gizzi 10.48 Villavallelonga L'Aquila
Gizzi 8.58 Vasto Chieti
Gizzi 8.43 Giulianova Teramo
Gizzi 7.89 Villalfonsina Chieti
Gizzi 7.38 Opi L'Aquila