Lorenzo Celli Death Record Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
tikibar22
Veteran
Veteran

Lorenzo Celli Death Record Translation

Post by tikibar22 »

Would someone translate the, what i think is a death record, for Lorenzo Celli. Or if it isn't a death record explain what sort of record it is. Thanks so much :D

Family Search Direct link- https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cat=409607
Infante, Cella or Celli,
Bagnoli Irpino, Avellino
ChrisMosca
Elite
Elite

Re: Lorenzo Celli Death Record Translation

Post by ChrisMosca »

It is a death record for Lorenzo Celli, I tried reading a much as I could but it was difficult for me, hopefully someone else can help you better, all I could get is that I think he died on 10 April of 1866
Looking for the surnames Mosca( Marches ), Pizzoglio (Piedmonte), Chiacchiera, Lobasso(Bari), Gallo(Malvito), Azzolina (Messina).
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Lorenzo Celli a foundling 6 days old, died on Apr 2 1866 in the foundling house of Avellino.
tikibar22
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tikibar22 »

Thanks...very interesting! Also I see on this page a Rose Celli too. Possibly twins.
What is a foundling? Does it say who his parents are?
Infante, Cella or Celli,
Bagnoli Irpino, Avellino
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

These foundlings are abandoned children. They were of unknown parents -incogniti genitori. She died at the age of 2 days on March 30th. Lorenzo was "di Bagnoli" and Rosa's record reads that she was born in Bagnoli. Neither record indicates that he or she was a twin.

Erudita
tikibar22
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tikibar22 »

Oh...How sad. That would explain why I had a hard time trying to decipher the parents in these documents.
Thanks a bunch.
Infante, Cella or Celli,
Bagnoli Irpino, Avellino
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome. Of course, thinking more about the twin issue-you should see if you can find their birth records. They both should have been born March 27/March 28th, and the fact that the death records are one after the other, may indicate that they were twins. Also names given to abandoned infants are normally invented by a town official. So maybe the reason why they share a common surname is that they were twins. Normally surnames which are common in a town are not assigned to abandoned infants.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043434

They were twins. Here are their birth records. Lorenzo was born first. Parents' names are in the records. The father Antonio Celli of dec Vincenzo and the mother Maria Ciletti.

I have an appointment and have to leave now, so I can't do anymore with this at the moment. Sorry

Erudita
tikibar22
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tikibar22 »

I looked at the birth records for 1866 and there are a set of twins Lorenzo and Rosa that were born to parents acknowledging them I wonder how they ended up as Children with a name parents anybody have an idea? thoughts?
Infante, Cella or Celli,
Bagnoli Irpino, Avellino
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

tikibar22 wrote:I looked at the birth records for 1866 and there are a set of twins Lorenzo and Rosa that were born to parents acknowledging them I wonder how they ended up as Children with a name parents anybody have an idea? thoughts?
In the record, the declaration of the death was made by Vincenzo Dente, the president of the Charity Congregation of the city (Congregazione di Carità di questa città)...

I believe he states that Lorenzo died at the "casa di ricezione di trovaletti" and informed that because of the severe weather (season) the child was not transported to Naples to S. Annunciata home and was hospitalized here (ebbe qui ricovera)

Rosa died at the "ospizio di proietti" (hospice of the abandoned), and declared by the same person.

Here is information about the Orphanage at Santissima Annunciata church in Naples.
The Orphanage and its wheel (ruota)

The church has always been associated, in one form or another, with an orphanage. The complex of buildings attached to the church are now part of a maternity and pediatric hospital. As an orphanage, it was equipped with a famous wheeled system on the wall, where abandoned infants, were placed into a revolving basket container from the street, and the basket could then be turned such that infant wound up within the church where nuns would then receive, baptize, and register the new addition to the orphanage. (The "basket room" has been restored and visitors may see how the operation was handled.) The existence of the wheel is documented by 1601. The system was abolished in the 1870s. The church functioned as an orphanage until the 1950s at which time state social services took over the task.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santissim ... re,_Naples

T.