Can I pick up birth certificate (estratto) while visiting the Comune?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
msabattini

Can I pick up birth certificate (estratto) while visiting the Comune?

Post by msabattini »

Hello,
My GGF was born in Zocca in 1872. I will be visiting Zocca in the beginning of May. I need the estratto for jure sanguinis. (All other documents are in the US) I can't seem to find a clear answer as to whether I can:
1) look up the record myself without some type of appointment or pre-approval
2) get a certified estratto while I'm there (hopefully the same day)
3) also get a Strato di Famiglia (hopefully the same day; however this is a bonus, not a necessity)

I emailed the Anagrafe a week ago - so far no response. I realize that's not much time, but I begin traveling soon so I'd like to get any necessary arrangements in place beforehand. So today I emailed the Sindaco for permission to search the records, using an Italian form letter I found on another site. We'll see how that goes...

Assuming I don't hear back from anyone in Zocca, has anyone had success just showing up at a records office?

Thanks,
Matt
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Can I pick up birth certificate (estratto) while visiting the Comune?

Post by PippoM »

In my opinion (I live in Italy):
1) you won't be allowed to search records by yourself (it seems to be the most common interpretation of law, though some towns let you do it)
2) yes, it should be possible; administration of towns in Emilia usually is very efficient
3) this can be a long work, so you can't be sure; however, you can request it when you are there, and have it sent to your home
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

my opinion:
1- I agree with PippoM
2- "the administration in Emilia region is very efficient", yes,and a historical Birth certificate (Estratto) is no the same of a current Birth certificate, because the record is in the archive and maybe the clerk need of some day, to search the record and to issue the certificate;
3-I agree with Pippo, but it could be possible that in the archive are the historical Foglio di Famiglia also, with the same infos of Stato di famiglia, it is similar abt the infos, and maybe you can get a photocopy, it no necessary a certificate because it is just for genealogical purpose, so a photocopy can be very helpful equally and more fast..
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website Matt
What is your GGF name there are records of Zocca online you can info from to help you in your quest

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I went in person to my small, mountain commune in Castelli, Teramo Abruzzo and presented my American passport and US driver's license and asked for a copy of my grand-father's birth certificate. The clerk asked me a few questions about my family and looked through a big book. He then typed up, on a manual typewriter, a copy of the certificate and handed it to me. He also said, "Welcome home" and got my father's first cousin on the phone. I had dinner in the home of my cousin the same night.
James
Rookie
Rookie

Post by James »

jennabet wrote:I went in person to my small, mountain commune in Castelli, Teramo Abruzzo and presented my American passport and US driver's license and asked for a copy of my grand-father's birth certificate. The clerk asked me a few questions about my family and looked through a big book. He then typed up, on a manual typewriter, a copy of the certificate and handed it to me. He also said, "Welcome home" and got my father's first cousin on the phone. I had dinner in the home of my cousin the same night.
Sounds like that was a great night!!
James
lvelt

Post by lvelt »

I did the same thing but had my son pick them up while he was passing through. I now have the 3 birth certificates and a marriage license that I needed from Italy all stamped and signed.

My issue is that none of the documents show any of the parents on the birth certificates. I received these from the Comune. Does anyone know if this will be okay or not?

Thanks, for any advice.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
how is it that there are no parents' names?
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lvelt

Post by lvelt »

They were there. I missed them. But the certificates are new typed up ones. I have a copy of the old originals ones that had a lot more info on them but not very clear. Will that matter?

Sorry for the confusion.

One more question. Can my son go straight to Italy with all the required documents and get his citizenship there if all of his paperwork is correct?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi lvelt,
abt 2th inquiry: yes, if all certificates ( of Italy and of USA) are ok, the US certificates must be translate in Italy and the clerk in the italian commune where your son will work, it will be able to say the name of a translator accredited in the Town Hall and in the Court, and I believe are necessary also the apostilles for some US certificate...
abt the 1th inquiry I cannot reply beccause I must see what was these ccertificate without parent's names, however you can request newly the italian certificates so you don't will have problems...
best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

lvelt wrote:
One more question. Can my son go straight to Italy with all the required documents and get his citizenship there if all of his paperwork is correct?
All of your son's US vital records will require apostilles as well as be legalized by the stamp of the consulate that has jurisdiction over your son's place of legal residence. The comune officials will still look to coordinate with that consulate to proceed as provided by their procedures.

Which Italian consulate will you be working with?
TerraLavoro
lvelt

Post by lvelt »

Philadelphia, PA,

Also picked up the Naturalization papers from the county in PA, where GGF officially filed. They gave me a copy but said they were not allowed to put a seal or sign it as official. Is Washington, DC and Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) my next trip?

Or is there another way I can get this document in a week or 2?

Thanks!
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

My grand-father was naturalized in Philadelphia. I found his records at the Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives in Philly. The copies they sent me were perfectly fine for the Philly consulate and they weren't certified in any way.
lvelt

Post by lvelt »

Thank you.

Do you know if all the USA Doc's (besides the Naturalization paperwork) needs apostilles and translated?

All Birth Certificates (even the females), Death Certificates and Marriage Licenses?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

All documents created outside of Italy need to be translated and affixed with an apostille except for the US naturalization papers.