Telese, Maria Death #18

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Telese, Maria Death #18

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Telese, Maria Death #18

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

DEATH NO 18: MARIA TELESA
Frigento: 25 February 1866, 9 am
Francesco di Feo, 66, landowner, and Angelo Michela Salerno, 47, barber, both living Frigento reported that on 24 February at 9 pm, Maria Telesa died in the house where she lived. She was aged 81, born and living Frigento, contadina, widow of Michelangelo Famiglietti, daughter of the late Gaetano and the late Rosaria Famiglietti, both contadini, who had lived in Frigento (when living). (No address given.)

Angela :D
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thank you. She lived to a ripe old age in that time period.

Was her surname Telesa?
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

dmurphy1940 wrote:Thank you. She lived to a ripe old age in that time period.

Was her surname Telesa?
Whoops. No, it was Telese. It looked like Telesa and I intended to check, and clean forgot. Good spotting, Dolores. You should help us with editing, you are very good at it.

Indeed, 81 was a very good age for that time period.

Have a lovely day.

dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thanks again! (I can help with editing if needed) I thought perhaps Telesa was the original name.........:)
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

dmurphy1940 wrote:Thanks again! (I can help with editing if needed) I thought perhaps Telesa was the original name.........:)

It is definitely "Telese" in this case, Dolores. I have looked at the index as well. The name Telesa does exist in other towns though. I've not seen Telesa in Frigento though. It doesn't seem to be in Frigento Pagine Bianca either. I can't say whether they may have been the same names originally?

Editing - it would be great to have you on board :D :D :D I always appreciate your attention to detail.

dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Speaking of indexes, Angela, I'd like to find the index for 1884 Frigento deaths as I would like to find an ancestor. Thank you if you can help and if it is not too much trouble.

Editing: yes, that would work.............:)

Dolores :)
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi again Dolores

Re: 1884 Death Records and Indices for that year: My understanding is that neither are online. The records jump from 1883 to 1885. They could possibly be out of order though, but I'm sure I would have noticed this going through the records at different times. Who are you looking for? Are you certain they died 1884?

Angela :)
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Angela, I am looking for Nunziante CIAMPI who died 21 October 1884. This is my great grandfather. He was unfortunately murdered in Philadelphia, PA by a Giuseppe D'Avino, also from Frigento. I have tried to find out what happened to his remains and have not had any luck. I am not sure when he immigrated. He was working in Philadelphia at the time of his death. I thought that by finding his death record in Frigento, it may have some leads. He was born in Frigento 21 January 1855.

Dolores
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Oh, I see. Yes, I remember you posting the story. It was so interesting. So, in this case, we might be lucky, because it probably wouldn't be amongst the 1884 records anyways. Providing they sent a copy of the record back, details will appear in Part II of any of the following years, I would say. (Sometimes the details can take years to get back to Italy, but not always.) I'll have a look for you and get back to you. (I don't think that it would mention his "remains" though.)

Angela :)
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

I guess I would just like to give him a proper rest. I wondered if they sent his remains back to Italy or "disposed" of them here. It looks as though my great grandmother re-married about 8 years after his death. Thanks for your help if you find anything. :)

Dolores
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Yes, I understand about wanting to give your great grandfather a proper rest. It was such a disturbing case - I've just had a reread to refresh my memory.

So far, I've looked at all the indices up to 1902, and also gone page by page for the Part II of these years, just in case they were missed off the indices - but nothing there. It's such a shame because your death records have allegati with them. I'm expecting visitors for a cuppa shortly, (wasn't planned), so will continue on later and get back to you. From the earlier post re His Passport, it looks like Carmine, Erudita and Tessa did some great research on this as well, and found some good and helpful info between them.

Will get back to you again later. Strange that we haven't been able to locate his burial place??? Will take a look later, just incase more records have been put on line since the initial search. It would be great to solve the mystery, and, as you say, give your great grandfather a proper rest.

Angela
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

I re-read all the posts too, so many of of you helped and I think I followed up with all of their suggestions. Thank you for your efforts as usual and have a nice cuppa!

Dolores
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I went write through the indices to 1910 that are available, plus I went through the Supplementary Sections but I didn't see anything there. I found the following which might interest you. I know that you already know the story well, but I think that the clip from the book has only recently been digitised:

http://www.forgottenbooks.com/readbook_ ... 553128/567

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/656626/the_times/

I think this may be Nunziante and Maria Rosaria's daughter Giuseppa? (You may already have this.): https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1463156 (So tragic!)

Here is the related thread we spoke of in case anyone else is interested in digging further:
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/e ... E%20CIAMPI

It looks like Nunziante (also written as Nevaciante/Nunzianto in some records) must have travelled to the US between May 1882 (he was present for the birth of Giuseppa) and …....? October 1884? (Does this sound right?) I haven't found an immigration record for this, but haven't spent a lot of time on this, either. I'm not sure whether you have found one since you first began searching, Dolores.

I have a couple of questions, emerging from what I've read, but I'll send you a message, Dolores.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Dolores,

I know that you already have the marriage records for Nunziante and Maria Rosaria's two daughters, Giuseppa and Angiolina. I decided to look for the Pubblicazioni in the hope that there might be some allegati with them, because I remembered that for different years there were allegati amongs the Frigento records. I found the Pubblicazioni, but unfortunately no relevant allegati for them. What I did notice though, when I read Angiolina's Pubblicazioni, was that it mentions some allegati: “Copy of the Death Act of the father of the groom etc etc …....... as well as the affidavit of this District Court to the effect that Ciampi Nunziante died in the Americas.” (nonche l'atto notorio di questa Pretura da cui risulta​? che Ciampi Nunziante moriva nelle Americhe.)

So I'm wondering whether you may be able to write to Frigento and ask for the Allegati, and in particular a copy of the affidavit, and any other information pertaining to Nunziante. It's just a thought. I doubt it will tell you where Nunziante was buried but it might give you other information.

Pubblicazioni No 30: Nicola Montecalvo and Angiolina Ciampi:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043434

Angela