Letter translation needed written in 1921 about G. Marra ( Sant'Angelo, Aveliina, Campania)

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ELLENMONTE

Letter translation needed written in 1921 about G. Marra ( Sant'Angelo, Aveliina, Campania)

Post by ELLENMONTE »

I have a letter that is about my great-uncle, Guiseppe Marra, who was born in Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi in 1875. It's about his birth and I think it was done in lieu of a birth certificate. I would love from someone to translate.

Giuseppe emigrated to the US sometime before 1901. He married my grandfather's sister, Felice Montemarano. Coincidentally (or maybe not, perhaps they are distant cousins) Felice's grandfather was also named Giuseppe Marra.

Copy of the letter is attached (2 pages)
Attachments
1875 guiseppe marra letter Italian (2).JPG
First page of G. Marra letter
First page of G. Marra letter
1875 guiseppe marra letter Italian (1).JPG
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Letter translation needed written in 1921 about G. Marra ( Sant'Angelo, Aveliina, Campania)

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum! :-)

This is an Extract of Birth

Extract from the birth registers of the Comune of S. Angelo dei Lombardi for the year 1875 -- Act #103
Giuseppe Marra
Dated 1875 day 24 of May at 8 AM at the town office.
Before the official, Nicola Rossi... appeared Giovanni Marra, age 36, peasant farmer residing S. Angelo Lombardi, to declare that at 9 PM on the 23rd of the current month, at the house in Via S. Gennaro (no number) to Donata Antoniello, his wife, peasant farmer residing with him, was born a male child who was presented to the official and to whom was given the name GIUSEPPE
Witnesses to this presentation and recording of the act of birth were Marco Geloso, age 30, peasant farmer, and Angelo Verderosa(?), age 40, both residing in this town.
Only the official signed the act as the others were illiterate.

This extract was made at S. Angelo Lombardi on 13 August 1921.

T.
ELLENMONTE

Re: Letter translation needed written in 1921 about G. Marra ( Sant'Angelo, Aveliina, Campania)

Post by ELLENMONTE »

Thank you very much Tessa for the translation; that gives me a lot of info about the family of my G-aunt's husband, who may also be related to be as my G-Grandmother was a Marra also.

And thank you so much Livio! I never expected to get the actual birth record!

I think I have done as much as I can with the U.S. family records, now time to check Italy, which will be difficult since I don't speak Italian and I believe many records were destroyed in the 2 earthquakes that took place last century. But you have been so helpful, it has really gotten me inspired!!!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

ELLENMONTE wrote:Thank you very much Tessa for the translation; that gives me a lot of info about the family of my G-aunt's husband, who may also be related to be as my G-Grandmother was a Marra also.

I think I have done as much as I can with the U.S. family records, now time to check Italy, which will be difficult since I don't speak Italian and I believe many records were destroyed in the 2 earthquakes that took place last century. But you have been so helpful, it has really gotten me inspired!!!
Glad to help! :-)
We can assist you in your search. Just give us some names, approximate dates, and towns of birth or marriage.

Were your Montemarano ancestors also from S. Angelo dei Lomardi?
If yes, there are records available online at this link:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043434

We can help you with the Italian :-)

T.
ELLENMONTE

Post by ELLENMONTE »

Tessa78 wrote:
ELLENMONTE wrote:Thank you very much Tessa for the translation; that gives me a lot of info about the family of my G-aunt's husband, who may also be related to be as my G-Grandmother was a Marra also.

We can assist you in your search. Just give us some names, approximate dates, and towns of birth or marriage.

T.
Tessa78 wrote:

T.
Yes, my Montemarano ancestors were from S. Angelo as well and there are a ton of them from both sides of my father’s family.

And since you offered, here is their info:

* My grandfather, Angelo Michael Montemarano (or Michael Angelo) was Born Aug. 24, 1894.
*His father was Frank Montemarano, born circa 1855
*Frank’s parents were Filippo Montemarano and Madelina Chichette
*Angelo’s Mother was Concetta Marra born c1854
*Concetta’s parents were Guiseppe Marra and Josephine (no last name known)

*Concetta and Frank had at least one daughter Felice, born approx. 1882 and three other children who died before 1900.
*Concetta and Frank married approx. 1880 and came to the US in 1900 with Michael and Felice in 1900.

*My grandmother (Angelo’s wife) was born in the US but her parents were born in S. Angelo.
*Carmine (or Carmeno) Montemarano (born c. 1860)
* Lucia born c. 1868 (no last name known but I think she may be a Montemarano too because of the way my grandparent's wedding license was filled out)
*They had several children born in Italy - Guiseppe (c. 1889), Nicoletta (c.1894 ), Romeo (c.1895 ), Domineco (c.1896) & Felice (c.1899 )

All came to the US in 1900.

* Carmine (or Lucia if she is indeed a Montemarano) may have had a brother named Angelo born about 1886 who married Filomena. Not sure if that marriage took place in US or Italy or if Filomena is from S.Angelo. Or Angelo may be a more distant relative of that side of the Montemarano tree. Angelo had a son who my father referred to as his mother's cousin, but I don't know if they were first cousins or more distant.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

OK... let's start with your grandfather :-D

Here is the birth act of Angelo Michele Montemarano
Dated 2 September 1894 at noon at the town office in S. Angelo Lombardi.
Before the official appeared Francesco Montemarano age 36, laborer residing in S. Angelo Lombardi to declare that at 4PM on the 29th of the last month (29 August) at the house at Via Solemicosa (sp?), no number, to Concetta Marra, his legitimate wife, peasant farmer, residing with him, was born a male child who was presented to the official and to whom was given the name ANGELO MICHELE
Witnesses to the record were Arcangelo Antoniello, 30, laborer, ad Michel di Vito, 40, laborer, both residing in this town.
Only the official signed as the others were illiterate.

FYI*** Here is an earlier birth of a son who was named Angelo Michele in 1889 (#139).
More than likely he died, and when your GF was born he was given the name.

Marriage of Francesco Montemarano and Concetta Marra in 1880
:-)
Dated 7 February 1880 in Sant'Angelo Lombardi
Before the official appeared:
1 - Francesco Montemarano, single, 24, laborer born in Santangelo Lombardi and residing in the town; son of the living Filippo [Montemarano] and living Maddalena Cicchetti, residents of Sant'Angelo Lombardi
AND
2 - Concetta Marra, single, age 24, peasant farmer born in S. Angelo and residing here; daughter of living Giuseppe [Marra] residing in S Angelo; and deceased Giuseppa Imbriano who lived in S/ Angelo in her lifetime.
Publication of the banns of marriage were made on 11 and 18 January.

T.
ELLENMONTE

Post by ELLENMONTE »

OMG, Tessa, I love you!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

:-)

Just posted another birth above - an earlier Angelo Michele. Will try to find his death act if they are available.

Edit to add***
Located ANOTHER son, Angelo Michele, born in 1885 to Francesco Montemarano and Concetta Marra.
He appears to be the first child - I searched the birth acts from 1880 (with the exception of 1882, which I skipped), and I did not find any other children born to them in the years 1880-1885.

I was searching for the marriage of Carmine Montemarano and Lucia ? - since their births may not be available.
Unfortunately some of the marriage records have the tops of the pages missing from decay.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the death of the first AngeloMichele (b.1885) in August 1887.

T.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Here is the birth act of Felicia Montemarano

Dated 7 May 1882 at 10.33 am at the town office in S. Angelo Lombardi.
Before the official appeared Francesco Montemarano, 26, laborer residing in S. Angelo Lombardi to declare that on the 7th of May at 6 am at the house at Via Vallegrandi, to Concetta Marra, his legitimate wife, peasant farmer, residing with him, was born a female child who was presented to the official and to whom was given the name Felicia.
Witnesses were Guglielmo di Vito son of deceased Pietro, 60, laborer, and Francesco di Vito son of deceased Angelo, 50, laborer, both residing in this town.
Only the official signed as the others were illiterate.

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

ELLENMONTE wrote: *My grandmother (Angelo’s wife) was born in the US but her parents were born in S. Angelo.
*Carmine (or Carmeno) Montemarano (born c. 1860)
* Lucia born c. 1868 (no last name known but I think she may be a Montemarano too because of the way my grandparent's wedding license was filled out)
*They had several children born in Italy - Guiseppe (c. 1889), Nicoletta (c.1894 ), Romeo (c.1895 ), Domineco (c.1896) & Felice (c.1899 )
Birth act (1899/07/10)
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
ELLENMONTE

Post by ELLENMONTE »

mmogno, Tessa & liviomoreno -- I cannot express enough how wonderful you all are!!!
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Birth act of Lucia Montemarano (born 23 June 1869)
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Birth act of Lucia Montemarano
Dated 24 June 1869 at 9 AM at the town office in S. Angelo Lombardi
Father: Domenico Montemarano, son of deceased Francesco, age 36, laborer residing in S. Angelo Lombardi.
Mother: Giuseppa Fuschetto, his wife, daughter of deceased Carmine, residing with her husband.
Child was born on 23th of the month of June at 8 PM and given the name Lucia.
Record was witnessed by Giovanni Cassano, son of Antonino, age 33, laborer; and Salvatore Venezia, son of Nicola, age 30, scribente, both residing in this town.