What do the records we order from Italy mean?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

What do the records we order from Italy mean?

Post by nuccia »

I noticed elsewhere that Trish gave an explanation of records ordered from the FHL mean, like Processetti or Pubblicazioni and Notificazioni. Has she posted in on this site and if so, could someone point me in that direction? If not, could you post it for us? I never knew what the records meant or which ones to order. I found it very useful.

Nuccia :)
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: What do the records we order from Italy mean?

Post by VaDeb »

Here is some information on Italian records:

Matrimoni = marriage records. A record of the civil marriage. Name, age, date of birth, names of parents for spouses. Also date of the marriage.

Processetti
Allegati di matrimoni= all the documents a couple had to present to get married. They can be a real genealogical goldmine. IF a couple married in 1840 you would expect to find their birth records, permission for the marriage from their parents. If parents are dead the parents death record and probably permission from the next male relative that had the responsibility to give consent. Birth record of parents if still alive and gave permission. So, if these exist they may take you back earlier than civil records exist.

Pubblicazioni and Notificazioni = The pubblication of the marriage. When I couple wanted to marry they had to declare their intentions and that intention was posted in the town one day each week for several weeks. If they were from different towns, it would be published in both towns. Marriage was a very serious matter and was for life. This notice allowed anyone who had a right to object to step forward. IF another woman was pregant by the future groom, she had cause. If one of the future spouses had promissed marriage to another, there was cause. These records will have the names, ages, places and date of birth, names of parents of both future spouses.

The above comes from what I have found from viewing the records.

BUT
The following comes from Tafford Cole's book Italian Genealogical Records:

atti di matrimonio deals with only the marriage act.
pubblicazioni includes all the records required by law before the marriage could be performed.
notificazione is the marriage bann.

I have never found any documents with the pubblicazioni. Just the record of the marriage being published in town the required 3 times.

Hope this helps.
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

I have seen processetti/pubblicazioni on a couple of the rolls of microfilm that I have for one of the towns that I have been researching. (And I too have been confused by Trafford Cole's ambiguous definitions.) I have found them for the 1820's period and I have found them for the 1860's period. It is indeed a goldmine. Almost unbelievable amounts information. Absolute treasure.

I have been wondering if it is possible to request processetti/pubblicazioni from the Ufficio di Stato Civile in Italy. Do they keep all of those records?

Donna
Donna Pellegrin
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks Debbie,

Its exactly what I was looking for! I think others are going to find it useful, too.

mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

nuccia wrote:I noticed elsewhere that Trish gave an explanation of records ordered from the FHL mean, like Processetti or Pubblicazioni and Notificazioni. Has she posted in on this site and if so, could someone point me in that direction? If not, could you post it for us? I never knew what the records meant or which ones to order. I found it very useful.

Hi Nuccia.... enjoying all that snow??

Here's a link to Trish's post...

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

maria
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Maria,

The whether isn't bothering me much today since I'm having a lazy day anyway and not going out anywhere. But someone needs to talk to the groundhog! I think he was a little confused this year.

Thanks for the link. Check your PM....I'm sending something I think you'll find useful too if you haven't already seen it!

Now to study (righttt.....) :wink:

Nuccia :D