Birth Record Antonio Festoso

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
32deuce
Rookie
Rookie

Birth Record Antonio Festoso

Post by 32deuce »

Can anyone help me determine the precise birth date of Anotnio Festoso. His records in the U.S. say that he was born on 13 April 1868. I believe that this birth record says he was born on 14 April 1868. To be more exact, was he presented on the 14th, or born on the 14th, or does it only give one of those dates?

Thank you!

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043630
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Birth Record Antonio Festoso

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi

I'm reading del giorno surriferito (the day reported earlier/the day quoted - so referring to the day presented/registered): so born on 14 April. I've not seen this before, so this is what I understand it to mean. Hopefully someone else might verify.

Angela :)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

That word had me stumped, Angela. Great job in deciphering it! I believe your understanding is correct.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you, Erudita. (Surriferito is a new word for me.)

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Angela
It's a new word for me too, which is why I was having so much trouble trying to decipher it.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

:) Angela
32deuce
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 32deuce »

Thank you for the information. It is very helpful. I am glad to know why I was so confused with the date of his birth, especially because his death certificate has the 13th of April.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

:)
Either the Act was misinterpreted, or it was a typo. All my mum's documents have the incorrect day of birth, because the original Birth Act was mistranscribed. Human error happens, and, yes, can be quite confusing and frustrating at times.

kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

Not to muddy the waters...given my limited skills (LOL).
I found an alternate translation (which supports the 13-April birthday)
del giorno surriferito = "lapsed day"
I've also seen it translated as "day mentioned above".
Anyone have an Italian dictionary from 1868?

Birth dates on death certificates are notoriously fickle. They depend on the declarer's knowledge and state of mind. Like others, I have multiple family members with birth dates on their death certificate (or SS Index) that don't perfectly match the Italian Nascita record.

-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Yes, you are correct "del giorno surriferito" does mean "lapsed day". Well done, and I remember debating this at the time. However, I believe that how I have interpreted what it says is correct, but I am always open to correction. Thank you.

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I'm beginning to reconsider. I've flicked through a number of these records and the odd thing is, that they are very similar, in that the ones I have looked at, were all registered at 10 am. I've not seen this type of uniformity before. What is really interesting though, is that all the births happened in the early hours of the morning 2-4 am “del giorno surriferito”. I have located record No 205, the only one I have found, which just gives the time born, that I can see. This might have been an omission on the Clerk's part – or not. If it wasn't an error, then it suggests to me that “del giorno surriferito” in these records relates to “lapsed day”. It seems strange that it doesn't say "oggi" to make it clearer. Maybe someone else can shine a light.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043630

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

“del giorno surriferito” is definitely "the above mentioned day"

surriferito = su riferito = above mentioned
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

liviomoreno wrote:“del giorno surriferito” is definitely "the above mentioned day"

surriferito = su riferito = above mentioned
As I thought, (although I was starting to doubt myself). Thank you for confirming this Livio.

Angela :D
32deuce
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 32deuce »

This is very helpful information. It sounds like the consensus is He was born on April 14th.

I want to say thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread and for looking a little deeper at this issue. I know this was not a simple work translation, as is the case often, it was trying to translate the idea of what was expressed; thus, leaving room for interpretation though the experience and knowledge that each person has.

One of the things that I love about this online community is everyone’s desire to help coupled with their willingness to look at alternatives. The help I have received from this forum is beyond words!
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

32deuce - amen to that! And it is amazing that as each person gives of their time to help unravel the past, new ancestors step forward providing new records that need further translations. I am hoping once I get the hang of this that I will be able to help others along the way as well.
- P
Peonygirl
Always Searching....