Baptism Record Antonino Proto

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
rproto

Baptism Record Antonino Proto

Post by rproto »

I am not experienced in translating records. I am in awe of the help and kindness of the posters at this site. I hope I can be of future help to some of you. Can someone kindly help me translate the Baptism record for Antonino Proto dated January 31, 1875 found here in church records:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2013622

The record is number 15 at the top on the right hand side page. In future documents it is noted that my great grandfather's parents are "unknown" . I do see the word "ignoti" below his name and in the body of the Baptism record text but I cannot make out who the other people are that are referenced in the record (except for the priest) and why he was given that surname if his parents were unknown. Also it appears he was born in Maletto but the other people referenced in the record are from Bronte which is a nearby town.

Thank-you in advance for your kind assistance in this matter.
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Baptism Record Antonino Proto

Post by PippoM »

The record states he was born of unknown parents.
The couple you mention were godparents.
I'd investigate about them, they might be related to him, or even his natural parents.
Godmother for foundlings usually was the midwife; in this case they were a couple, and from another town; it's weird.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Baptism Record Antonino Proto

Post by liviomoreno »

I read the surname as Prato, not Proto