Dorso Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
eareid

Dorso Family

Post by eareid »

I am looking for help in tracking down my great-grandfather's family. His name was Charles Angelo Dorso and he lived in Niagara Falls, NY. He was born in Italy in 1862 died in NF in 1924. I have census' records which indicate that he immigrated around 1885. Family oral history indicates he may have lived in Canada before coming to the US. I have exhausted all possibilities for relatives who may have some information and have reached a brick wall in my goal of identifying his birthplace. If anyone has any info or ideas that could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Dorso Family

Post by VaDeb »

On the census records you have, how is his citizenship status noted? (NA, AL or PA) There may be naturalization records to locate that will provide information as to where he came from.

Have you looked on Ellis Island or Ancestry.com for immigration records? If you can find a passenger manifest that may also give his place of birth.

The other option is try and obtain every document that was created. What does his death certificate say? Do you have an obituary? They can have tons of personal information. Where was he married? Church records?

You haven't hit a brick wall until you have located all the possible records and struck out. Keep searching. Let us know if you have tried the possible sources I listed.

I also believe the original surname is not spelled DORSO. Only 4 from Italy listed at Ellis Island with that exact spelling.
say
Rookie
Rookie

Post by say »

I know D'Urso is a name found in Nusco records, and I understand it was changed to Durso in the US. Not sure if this helps you or not?
Sherry
eareid

Post by eareid »

Thanks for the help and the encouragement!

The census lists him as an alien (Al) and his death certificate didn't provide anything other than his birthdate and estimated immigration year. My grandmother filled it out (as a teenager) and she didn't really know any details. He immigrated prior to Ellis Island and I haven't been able to find any other records. The only records I found on Ancestry.com were census records. I have been trying to see if I can find a marriage certificate but haven't found anything yet.

I suspect that Dorso wasn't his original name but I don't know how to determine what it was. There are a lot of variations.

The only 'thread' is that my grandmother had heard a family story that indicated that he may have known his wife's brother or first husband in Italy and may have immigrated to Canada prior to coming to the U.S.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Any idea where in Canada? Maybe Ontario?

mfjp
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

His year of immigration is covered by Castle Garden.

www.castlegarden.org

This site is an index, but not linked to images yet. You can play with different combinations of names and dates and see if you find anything worth following up on.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

1920 United States Federal Census Record info
about Angelo Dorso

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8001/dorso19202da.gif

Name: Angelo Dorso
[Angelo Dorco]
Estimated birth year: abt 1862
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Niagara Falls Ward 12, Niagara, New York
Home owned: Own
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1885
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy

mfjp
eareid

Post by eareid »

Thanks so much for the help -

I don't actually know where in Canada but I assume Ontario. That is definitely him on the 1920 census. The first record I see that I know is him is on the 1910 census. My grandmother was born in 1907 and her mother immigrated in 1902 so they married somewhere in between those dates. I am still struggling to find someway of finding a thread that will lead back to where he is from.

I've been playing around with castlegarden.org (that was new to me) and it looks like there may be a couple of entries that I can followup on!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, just a bit:
Dorso surname is a mistaken version of D'ORSO (with space); also exist D'ORSI and DORSI (no space) and DORSA ... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

eareid,

Another lead?

The 1910 Census for Charles Angelo DORRISO (DORSO)
indicated that his wife Bridget was married twice.
His 3 step-children's names are MARCANTONIO

There is a manifest on Ellis Island for Bridget and 3 Children at
http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1

The Calabria
17 Nov 1902, lines 1-4
Brigida AGLIATI 31 yrs old
son Severino MARCANTONIO 12 yrs old
daughter M Lucia MARCANTONIO 10 yrs old
daughter M Addollovata MARCANTONIO 2 yrs old

Last residence: Limosano
(corrected, see suanj's note below!)

Joining relative:
her brother
_lino? AGLIOTI
4-6 Pearl St, Buffalo (Erie), NY

Hope this helps you find Charles Angelo DORSO
maybe in Buffalo in 1900?
maybe from the same town?

vj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Last residence: S. Liucosano
(possibly San Leucio del Sannio, Benevento, Campania?)
It is LIMOSANO town in Campobasso province.. suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
eareid

Post by eareid »

Wow - I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's help!
Unfortunately I haven't found much more. The census' provided are definitely him.

My great-grandmother Brigida immigrated in 1903 as a widow with 3 children. Her first husband's name was Giovannanni Marcantonio and they lived in Limosano. I see that he came to the US in 1891 but based on the age of the children he obviously returned to Italy. Her family, the Agliati's are from San Stefano (I have not been successful in finding a birth certificate for her there yet) in Campobasso. There are numerous relatives immigrating, including cousins with the name Di Cristofaro and people who are likely relatives with the names Paolone and Mitri.

However, I can't seem to find any trace of Charles/Angelo prior to my grandmother's birth in 1907 in Niagara Falls. (I have yet to be able to find their marriage certificate). I can readily go forward from that point but am working my backwards and have been somewhat stuck. There are a number of entries that are possibly him but nothing that I can find yet that truly fits. Castlegarden.org was great though - it helped me truly identify a number of Brigida's relatives.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to make a suggestion. I don't know if this applies in your grandparents case, but perhaps your grandparents never married in a church. My grandmother was a widow so when she remarried it was only through a civil ceremony so that she wouldn't lose her widow's pension from Italy. I realize that my grandparents married in Italy, but the same thing may apply in your family's case.

Let me know what you think.

Nuccia :D
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

There are numerous relatives immigrating, including cousins with the name Di Cristofaro and people who are likely relatives with the names Paolone and Mitri.
According to the manifest (that vj posted) Brigida's brother was Eliseo Agliati.

So looking for Eliseo, led me to this manifest... which also lists Cristofaro, Mitri and an E. Agliata.. (born 1877)

A couple of the Cristofaro's were on their way to Belleville... there's a Belleville in Ontario... which is directly north ..... (and over the lake) from Rochester, NY...

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main ... &2s=ON&2z=

You had wondered about a possible Canadian connection... but it would be nice if we could find out more about Angelo... just keeping an eye out...

Name: E Agliata
Arrival Date: 28 Apr 1891
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1877
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Destination: New York
Place of Origin: Italy
Ship Name: Assyria
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 9
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: 566
List Number: 558
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

If you haven't seen this manifest, I can link it for you...

mfjp