Help,Mercati !!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
danuella

Help,Mercati !!

Post by danuella »

Hi there, i am tracing my great grandad ernesto mercati who married my gt grandmother in london in 1912,i have located his death record in 1952,he was 61 and have searched the birth records for the uk and cant find any record.I have no idea where he came from but have always been told he was italian.
Does anyone have any ideas on where i could go from here as i have no idea and has anyone ever heard of the name?
Any help would be so much appreciated.
Warmest regards
:D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Help,Mercati !!

Post by nuccia »

I'm providing a link to some manifests of Mercati's with the exact spelling of the name who went to the USA..

It appears a few of them came from Citta di Castello, Italy. I didn't look to see if they were all related to each but maybe you can look through them and see if anything looks familiar.

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1

It's not much but if you could get someone to remember where abouts in Italy he came from (even North or South, Central anything) then we might be able to help more. Do you know the name of his parents or siblings?

Nuccia :)
danuella

Post by danuella »

Thanks so much for that i'll have a good look through.No one in the family know anything at all about him they used to think his name was leaonardo till i found otherwise and unfortunatly anybody who could've helped is dead now :(,i have searched the 1901 uk census and found no mercatis so can only surmise he came over after then.Once again thank you so much for all your help.
Big hugs
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, are a Earnest Mercati italian, seaman for a little time on the Majestic vessel for Southampton/New York route, of same birthyear of your Ernesto
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 4018040357
I think that this record could be interesting...
about the surname as you can understand, is a italian surname, and many Mercati peoples lived essentially in north and center Italy.... however the Mercatis was, for sure, in San Giustino, Camaiore, San Sepolcro, and obviously Città di Castello also already suggested from Nuccia...

regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
danuella

Post by danuella »

Wow!! that is totally amazing,i'm pretty sure that thats him,thank you so much i really cant thank you enough and there is so much detail on the form,its great to know more about him even his height.
Once again thankyou so much,could you please advise me how i could go about checking the records in italy for his birth.
Big hugs
xxxx :D
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

danuella wrote:Wow!! that is totally amazing,i'm pretty sure that thats him,thank you so much i really cant thank you enough and there is so much detail on the form,its great to know more about him even his height.
Once again thankyou so much,could you please advise me how i could go about checking the records in italy for his birth.
Big hugs
xxxx :D
yes, really could be he... this is also my thought .... unfortunately don't are listed the birthplace, almost on this ship's manifest... perhaps it are some info in other records, for exemple if are the alien mariners data emplyed on vessel as members crew.. the ship where Ernesto was employed, well :

Bismarck as the RMS Majestic

In 1919 the ship was handed over to the British Government as part of the war reparations and then bought jointly by White Star and Cunard. In 1920 the work on the ship was further delayed as it was badly damaged by a fire. Sabotage was suspected as the Germans had no wish to part with the ship. Work was completed at Hamburg in March 1922 and the ship was delivered to Liverpool at the end of the month. After a period of trials the ship was renamed Majestic on 12 April. It made its maiden voyage for White Star on 10 May on the Southampton-Cherbourg-New York route
as you can see this was the first travel of vessel with Majestic name... it is necessary to search more in this direction.... best regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH