Afeltra - Research for Jure Sanguinis

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
newsmike

Afeltra - Research for Jure Sanguinis

Post by newsmike »

Hello,

I am wondering if someone could point me in the right direction regarding my family research for the purposes of obtaining dual Italian/American citizenship.

On Ancestry.com I can trace back to my Great Grandfather Ludovico Afeltra (butchered as Ludobico in some instances) 1866-1958. Born Grangano, Italy. I cannot seem to get anything on his father (my Great Great Grandfather) Vincenzo Afeltra. Vincenzo was founder of the pastificio Afeltra (still operating) in 1848 in Gragnano.

Is there a database you would recommend? To make matters worse, I don't speak very much Italian at all.

I am trying to nail down the dates to test my eligibility for Jure Sanguinis

Thanks

Mike
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Afeltra - Research for Jure Sanguinis

Post by Italysearcher »

Checkout familysearch.org. If they don't have microfilms than you will have to write to the town offices.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Carla

Post by Carla »

My husband is also a great grandson of Ludovico Afeltra and we are just beginning to research whether he is eligible for Jure Sanguinis. Our first concern is if Ludovico relinquished his Italian citizenship. If so, would that disqualify his descendants from dual citizenship? Any information you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Carla
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

I found some Gragano films and digital images on FamilySearch here:
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

However, there are no records prior to 1901, so you won't find birth info for GGF Ludovico Afeltra or his father, GGGF Vincenzo Afeltra.

You can also check Antenati (Italian site). They have records from Napoli. My search on "Afeltra" was unsuccessful, but I have not used this site for my research. Maybe others can find something. Link here:
http://antenati.san.beniculturali.it/en

This is important:
if Ludovico relinquished his Italian citizenship -- would that disqualify his descendants from dual citizenship?
IF he relinquished his Italian citizenship, it depends on WHEN he did it.
Your GF (and his descendants) are disqualified if your GGF naturalized before your GF's birth. Otherwise (if it was after your GF's birth), it should NOT disqualify your GF (and his descendants). Note, if your GGF's naturalization disqualifies you, finding your GGGF won't help.
You can glean insights into naturalization info from the 1920 and 1930 censuses.
You can request naturalization papers (if they exist) from the NARA website.
Hope that helps,

-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adellagreca »

If Ludovico came to this Country, when he became citizen he was required to relinquish his citizenship. This was an Italian, not a US requirement. It was only about 15 years ago that dual citizenship was allowed. I, my wife and cildren went through the process. I believe that you need only to establish your relationship with the person that emigrated to the US
Paulsmith

Post by Paulsmith »

Hi all,
Ludovico is my great grandfather..on my mother’s side. What I do know is he travelled back and forth, Gregnano / Brooklyn through Ellis island. As to his citizenship, he returned to Italy fairly young (for good) and probably maintained Italian citizenship.
Feel free to email me.
Infrastructure.design@gmail.com.

Paul