re: passenger record ss anglia jan.16 1889

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

re: passenger record ss anglia jan.16 1889

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i'm trying to determine the port of origin for this vessel. one of the passengers,francesco landino,was possibly my great grandfather. no.81. i'm trying to tie in this information with what i believe is his death record 13 days later under the name francesco lidino(landino?). trying to verify information in both these records as being one and the same person. the problem with these early pre-ellis island records is that they contained so little information. name,age,and proffession. thats it. no relatives to whom they were coming to.no comune of origin noted. just italy as country of origin.in an earlier record i found from july 2 1874 for the assyria (his brother salvatore & sister agostina) it noted sicily as the last place of residence which made identification much easier. my ancestor would have immigrated from sicily, possibly barcellona pozzo di gotto. the name matches as does the age. but a comune of origin would have verified it.even just the locality of sicily would have pretty much verified it. normally immigrants from sicily would have stopped first in naples,the main port of the south (occasionally they sailed from palermo but normally departed from naples).just wondering if there were any way to find more information regarding this. probably not but nothing ventured nothing gained. i found the same information at the castlegarden website.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: re: passenger record ss anglia jan.16 1889

Post by Tessa78 »

The first page of the ship manifest indicates departure from Naples.
Passenger #81 is on page 2.

http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... 7_529-0231

T.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thanks. when i originally searched that entry it went directly to the page in question. somehow i missed that. still doesn't really help in correctly identifying my ancestor. wish they had noted the comune of origin. just give italy as place of origin-no comune.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

Just for grins, I looked up passenger records for Salvatore Landino -- the one referenced in the 1903 Manhattan directory. Found one for 1900.
http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/p ... 5pZmVzdCI7

Unfortunately, even if Francesco and Salvatore were related, and even if this is the same Salvatore as from the 1903 directory, the entry isn't of much help. It only narrows the last residence to Palermo.
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i've seen that entry. but its not the son of francesco. possibly some relation. the son of francesco,salvatore,was from barcellona in messina,and arrived in 1893.