help translating Francesca Galioto birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
soosee

help translating Francesca Galioto birth record

Post by soosee »

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2051639

I need help with Francesca Galioto's birth record. The 1st link has her father as Francesco Galioto and her mother as Francesca Billante? Is that right? In the upper right corner of that record it looks like Galioto Francesca di Francesco, Cefalu Rosalia 1 July 69 # 77. Then the next link seems to have Rosalia Cefalu connected with Francesco Galioto. I've always thought Francesca's mom was Rosalia Cefalu so I'm wondering who is Francesca Billante. Thanks if anyone can straighten this out for me
Sue
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: help translating Francesca Galioto birth record

Post by PippoM »

This is the original birth record of Francesca, from the registers of Solanto:

It actually states she was the daughter of Francesco and Francesca Billante.
Uhm?!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
soosee

Post by soosee »

Thanks for finding the original birth record. That's why I'm confused with the 2nd certificate and the writing on the top rt. corner of the 1st., which seems to have the name Rosalia Cefalu. If Francesca Billante is her mother then who is Rosalia Cefalu?
Sue
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Since the records you posted are part of the allegati for the marriage of Francesco Mercurio and Francesca Galioto...

I think the notation at the top of the first page you posted was done by the official when sorting and filing the extract of birth into the allegati. I believe the Rosalia Cefalu is in error, and probably a confusion with the mother of Francesco Mercurio whose name was Giacoma Cefalu.

You will also see a notation at the top of Mercurio's extract, though very faint.

What does the actual Act of Marriage state?

EDIT TO ADD:
It must have been a stressful day for the clerk that day. The couple is listed in the index at #42 for the marriage act, but a different couple appears there and I cannot find the Mercurio/ Galioto marriage among all the entries for that year :?:

T.
soosee

Post by soosee »

I did find another record that had Francesca's mother as Rosalia Cefalu on familysearch.org do you think that was an error too?

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Your link is bringing up an index.
I am not seeing Rosalia Cefalu there... or Francesca Galioto

Tell me the type of record and date (# if you have it), and I will look for the link.

EDIT TO ADD

I located the Publication of Banns in 1887 - #33
It also gives Francesca's mother's name as Rosalia Cefalu.
Since the document in the allegati was an extract of this record (a copy made in writing from this original act of Pubblicazione), it would have the same information...
Perhaps the error was made in THIS act originally...
But then... if the error is in the original birth act - a rectification record would be available somewhere showing that the mother's name was corrected - and this would be annotated on the original birth act
---- A mystery!

The birth act provided by Pippo :-) does indeed show Francesca's mother as Francesca Billante.

T.
soosee

Post by soosee »

Mystery indeed. I have a 2nd great grandmother who's a Rosalia Cefalu born around 1826 married to a Francesco Alioto. The one child I know they had was named Antonino. I was hoping to connect everyone together. Thanks so much for looking at the records and helping me! You guys are great.
Sue