can't read her first name

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stellina13
Veteran
Veteran

can't read her first name

Post by stellina13 »

is it Irma, Irene, Teresa?

thank you!
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Nina

Researching Surnames: Paolini, Polidoro, Salutari, Musti and many others- Castelvecchio Subequo; L'Aquila Province.

my husband"s side - Cancellieri/e, Trapani, Giambanco, Ruggeri, and many others - Palermo & Carini, Sicily
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: can't read her first name

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Are you able to post a copy of the full record - her name will be in the margin as well - or even better still, post the link to the record.

Thank you.
Angela
stellina13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stellina13 »

I couldn't read her name in the margin either and I am pretty good with Italian handwriting. Thanks for taking a look.
Attachments
Untitled1111.jpg
Nina

Researching Surnames: Paolini, Polidoro, Salutari, Musti and many others- Castelvecchio Subequo; L'Aquila Province.

my husband"s side - Cancellieri/e, Trapani, Giambanco, Ruggeri, and many others - Palermo & Carini, Sicily
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Wow! So tricky. Now that I'm almost cross-eyed, I believe it is Irma. It definitely starts with an I and the second letter looks very much like how some of the other "r's" are formed in the record. Well that's my take:-)

Angela
jestes
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jestes »

The last letter looks like an "a" - it is similar to other a's in the document. The two "points" just before the "a" look like the n's in "anni"...

For being such neat handwriting it is terribly illegible...
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Nina
Is this record online? If so, can you provide the link to it? I'm seeing the first name Lucia. Is there an index? The name may be more legible there.
Erudita
stellina13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stellina13 »

Erudita, the record is not online. Someone from my town in Italy took a photo of the record for me and sent it to me so i don't have the index.
Nina

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I had also debated whether it started with an "L" but when I looked at my "L" samples the top bit went to the right not the left. My samples of cap "i" look like the letter at the start of the name. I can see how you would be reading Lucia, Erudita. Interesting.....

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Angela
I've learned over the years that you can't get hung up on letter charts. Handwriting is such an individualized thing and, even for one person, can vary from one time to the next. That's why I try to see the whole thing sometimes and not the individual letters. Anyway, it's unfortunate that Nina doesn't have the index. It might have helped in this case. Lucia is still my best guess, but I can't say it's correct.
Erudita
stellina13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stellina13 »

i have sent word to my cousin to go to the town hall and send me a photo of the index. Will post when I receive it. Thank you!
Nina

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

That's great, Nina. Hopefully the name in the index will be easier to decipher.
Erudita
stellina13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by stellina13 »

The index isn't any clearer to me! anyone want to take a shot at it? My guess is Irena.
Attachments
INDICE.JPG
Nina

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I think Irena
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I'm still with Irma.

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Angela and Nina
I could really go either way with this one-Irma or Irena. I tried to see if there was a saint in this town with one of the two first names, as I thought that might give us a clue as to which first name is the correct one, but no such luck. Sorry. I guess you need to toss a coin on this one, unless you can find reference to her in some other record where the handwriting might be more distinctive.
Erudita