need a little help on city name

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

need a little help on city name

Post by kencwalker »

Hello IG team,
I have a small favor to ask. I'm trying to read a marriage record, and can't figure out the city for the bride.
It's written 4 or more times, but I can't figure it out.
For the bride, I read:
"2nd Bellatti Giovanna Maria d anni venti, (occupation), nata in (?)omaso, residente in (?)omaso..."
and as the city for her father and mother...
It's a Parte II entry, so also written near the top, referencing the Sindaco of the same town.

FamilySearch link:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cat=985332

Thanks!
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: need a little help on city name

Post by erudita74 »

I read Damaso which I believe is San Damaso, a frazione or hamlet of Modena
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Domaso (Como)
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

Thanks, I never would have guess that!
Domaso (Como) makes sense for a groom born in Verceia, and living in Islato/Madesimo (Sondrio) .
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

Hi mmongo,
I definitely need to add that URL to my list of "handy Italian genealogy bookmarks".

This marriage sparked my curiosity because it's unusual -to see a bride and groom are from different towns (not far apart by modern standards, but these were goat herders, so traveled in a small area). Nearly every marriage I've recorded is between a bride and groom from the same small town, or maybe adjoining towns.

I have a similar circumstance on my mother's side. Her maternal grandmother was from Camerano Casasco, Asti, then moved and married my GGF in Cavaglio d'Agnogna, Novara (and her sister married in Torino). These towns are even further apart than the example above.

So, my question: what are the typical reasons to relocate to another province/region in the early 1900s. As I understand, this wasn't easy, as a newcomer (to a town) would have difficulty acquiring a house or land (especially a poor agricolo goat herder -- like my family!)

Any insights are appreciated.
Thanks -- Ken
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Possible links between the population of villages near Lake of Como and that one of Madesimo are connected to the seasonal migration of lowland cattle (transumanza) to the alpine pastures (alpeggi) of high Valchiavenna: in Summer herds and flocks were taken to graze in the mountains.

http://www.wikiwand.com/it/Sorico
http://www.ruralpini.it/Alpeggi.htm
http://www.ruralpini.it/Alpeggi_StoriaN.htm
http://www.ruralpini.it/file/Alpeggi/Do ... mbarde.pdf
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

mmogno wrote:Possible links between the population of villages near Lake of Como and that one of Madesimo are connected to the seasonal migration of lowland cattle (transumanza) to the alpine pastures (alpeggi) of high Valchiavenna: in Summer herds and flocks were taken to graze in the mountains.
mmongo, that's exactly what my mother's Pedroncelli family did. They spent summers in Madesimo, and winters in Verceia (east of the lake). Other families migrated between Madesimo and Piantedo. That lead to some interesting research challenges (in fact, why I discovered IG!). I was always told my GF was "from Madesimo", and yet he listed Verceia as his birthplace on Ellis Island ship manifest. Confusing!! Eventually I figured out most May thru November births (and deaths) were in Madesimo, and those in December thru April were usually in Verceia. I learned to pay attention to both the "domicilato in" and "nella casa posta in" entries. Some families considered Madesimo as "home" and others considered Verceia or Piantedo as home (reverse migration?).
The groom in this record (Lorenzo Pilatti) is my GGM's brother. I haven't studied the Pilatti migration pattern yet. Who knows? Maybe they moved their herds between Madesimo and Domaso? :) And, maybe that explains why I can't find some of the sibling's birth records.
Thanks for sharing, -Ken