Born somewhere in Potenza

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Miss Blue
Rookie
Rookie

Born somewhere in Potenza

Post by Miss Blue »

Hi, everyone. I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

I'm trying to identify the hometown of my 2nd great-grandfather, Michele Casale. He was born about 1860 in Italy. I have some reasonably good evidence that he was born somewhere in Potenza. (I can elaborate in the comments if any of you are interested.)

Based on his marriage record in NYC in 1892, his parents were Angelo Casale and Angela Romeo.

Another helpful, and possibly complicating, detail is that Michele Casale was likely related to his son-in-law's family. His daughter, Filomena, married Domenico (my great-grandparents). Domenico's mother, Concetta, was the daughter of Antonio Ronna and Rosa Casale. The family "rumor" (who actually knows) is that Filomena and Domenico were cousins through the Casale family. If they were, then Antonio Ronna and Rosa Casale (who married in Italy) would presumably be from the same town/area as Michele Casale.

That could mean I'm looking for any town in Potenza with Casale, Romeo, and Ronna.

Picerno looked like a good lead, as they have Casales and Romeos. The problem is that they have Rennas, not Ronnas. Maybe my family changed their name, maybe it's not the right town. I looked through Picerno records and I couldn't find a marriage record for Michele's parents, for Antonio Ronna and Rosa Casale or a birth record for Concetta Ronna and her brother Francesco. So, I've tentatively ruled out Picerno.

I'm getting desperate enough to just working my way through every town in Potenza in alphabetical order. :lol: Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Gerardi, Nole, Santarsiero, Summa, Colangelo in Avigliano, Potenza; Casale and Salvia in Picerno, Potenza; Latorraca and Lagrutta in Moliterno, Potenza; Lanno in Ariano Irpino, Avellino; Arezzo, Scala, Colombo, Armenia, and Gugliotta in Pozzallo, Sicily.
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Born somewhere in Potenza

Post by elmosgirl »

Hello Ms Blue,

Since you know the State (Potenza) where your 2nd great-grandfather was born, and you believe his birthyear to be around 1860, plus you have his parents' names, I wonder if it would be helpful to request/search for his military registration record in the Archives in the State of Potenza. It would name his birth comune. If you decide to write, there are suggested formats for requests available on line.

This site will explain all about these records:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... e-archives

The street address for the State Archives is: Archivio di Stato
Provincia di Potenza
Via Nazario Sauro,1,
85100 Potenza ITALY

Civil records for Potenza comunes are available at Ancestry.com, by subscription at home or at your local library.

Either of these approaches might help you! I've searched for years in Potenza records but finally yielded to hiring a researcher in the province! Good luck, Noel
Miss Blue
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Born somewhere in Potenza

Post by Miss Blue »

elmosgirl,

Fantastic idea! I didn't even know I could do this.

Thank you!
Gerardi, Nole, Santarsiero, Summa, Colangelo in Avigliano, Potenza; Casale and Salvia in Picerno, Potenza; Latorraca and Lagrutta in Moliterno, Potenza; Lanno in Ariano Irpino, Avellino; Arezzo, Scala, Colombo, Armenia, and Gugliotta in Pozzallo, Sicily.