What is a Pignataro?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
mercedesjay

What is a Pignataro?

Post by mercedesjay »

A branch of my family comes from Comune di Broccostella, Provincia di Frosinone. Listed on many of the certificates as the occupation is pignataro. This seemed to be a common occupation in the town because I have seen it listed with other people as well on certificates dating from the 1820's-1860's. What does this mean? According to family lore, ancestors were involved in pottery making. Any connection? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, mercedesjay.
Have been researching family for more than a decade in the provinces of Campobasso and Frosinone.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: What is a Pignataro?

Post by elba »

Hello Mercedes,
Well 'pignatta' means a pot, cauldron, cooking-pot, kitchen-pot. So it would seem to follow that a 'pignataro' will be connected to these items. Possibly a pot maker or pot mender.... There is no distinction given between the types of pots and pans - they could be terra cotta, copper or iron. Anything in fact.

But as a link it does seem to tie in with your understanding of the 'family lore'!
Regards,
Elba
mercedesjay

Post by mercedesjay »

Thanks Elba. I appreciate the tip. I am new to this website and am finding out quickly that it is very useful. Just wish that I would have found it before now. Thanks again. mercedesjay.
Have been researching family for more than a decade in the provinces of Campobasso and Frosinone.
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xaymara »

I searched and from what I read I gather that the correct spelling is pignattaio which is a pottery maker but a producer of a specific type of pottery, maybe decorative as opposed to utilitarian? The link below is from an article dealing in the production of ceramics in Siena and the quote is about the etymology of the word pignattaio.

In merito all'etimologia del termine pignattaio è stato ipotizzato che esso indichi il fabbricante di vasellame da fuoco, se si accetta la derivazione del termine da pignatta(m) e quindi da pinguia(m) , ollam , cioè da nomi, anch'essi di ascendenza latina, che indicano la ceramica da fuoco.

http://archeologiamedievale.unisi.it/Si ... one/01.rtf

FWIW, Pignataro is also a village ( frazione ) under the jurisdiction of the town of Broccostella. Complete name is Pignataro Interamna.

From http://www.abruzzoimages.com/lazio/prov ... lla/03.htm :

In the small district called Pignataro there was a clay quarry called Cretaro, which gave rise to a flourishing craft of terracotta potmakers [...]

Maria
mercedesjay

Post by mercedesjay »

Thank you xaymara for the information and the link to the wonderful pictures of the town of Broccostella. It is amazing to see the actual town where my ancestors lived for so many generations. I have corresponded with the village and the church a number of years ago and to actually see where I was writing to is great. The pictures made my jaw drop! Thanks again for the help. mercedesjay.
polsinelli

Post by polsinelli »

Hi. I also posted a reply to your Di Cresce post. I keep running into your posts because I too am interested in the towns of Broccostella and Sora. As stated in another post, Pignataro is an "area" (frazione) of Broccostella and many years ago ceramic pottery was made there. My cousin's wife (surname Di Cresce is from this area). My father was born in Broccostella and I still have an Aunt who lives there. I last visited in September 2004...it is a very quaint, authentic and ancient little town. I love it there.