re: birthplace of dominico pasquarello

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

re: birthplace of dominico pasquarello

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

trying to determine the birthplace of dominico pasquarello. he was born ca.1868 and according to the 1910 us census he immigrated in 1888 and was living in middleboro ma. with his wife caroline,who was born in birmingham england ca.1870 and immigrated in 1882. he was a railroad worker,as many italian immigrants were. they married in 1905. this was dominico's 2nd marriage. he was married to maria capella ca.1888-1895,probably in massachusetts(although i can't find a marriage record it doesn't appear they married in italy,especially as dominico was here from 1888 on). they had 1 son,antonello, ca.1895. maria capella died in middleboro in 1905. can't find a passenger record for either dominico or wife maria. and it doesn't appear he was naturalized. he died in middleboro in 1919,but only italy is stated as his place of birth. his parents,according to his marriage to caroline rootes in 1905,were vincenzo and filomena altieri. i checked the cognomi di italia sites,which gives the surnames prevalent in italy. the name pasquarello,or probably pasquariello, was most heavily concentrated in the naples area. but that could cover hundreds of comunes. he was only in the 1890,1900,and 1910 censuses,as he died in 1919. no mention of comune of birth was ever mentioned-only the generic italy. the passenger record is probably the only source for this information,but the closest i came was one i found at castlegarden-and that didn't mention a comune once again. as he immigrated before ellis island opened in 1892,there was scant information given in castlegarden records noting comunes of origin. any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: re: birthplace of dominico pasquarello

Post by Italysearcher »

There are tips on finding the town of origin on my website.
In your case, you do not mention locating the death record or obituary. Try these first.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

there wasn't an obituary,just a very brief funeral notice. this was 1919. even today its rare to see an actual locality mentioned in a death notice. in my maternal family several of my great grandparents were only noted as being born in canada.they were born in quebec but this was never noted. locality was never mentioned. i checked the death record. same thing. just italy. as there doesn't appear to be a naturalization record,which would mention this,and i can't find a passenger record(it wouldnt matter if i did because at the time of his arrival ca.1888 only country once again was given,not locality) the last shot might be getting his military record(registri di leva) in italy. but even with that you would at least need to know the province of origin. i checked the cognomi di italia(surnames of italy) site. it appears pasquarello,or more likely pasquariello, was very common in the naples area. maybe one of the provinces in the campania or basilicata regions. as he was born ca.1868,his active military service would have begun ca. 1886 when he was 18. but he left ca. 1888. maybe this was the reason.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

On the theory that where you find one Domenico Pasquarello coming in to the U.S. you might find others, there was a Domenico Pasquarello who came in to Boston in February of 1909 and was born in the commune of Montemiletto. Unfortunately, the civil registration records for that commune are not (yet) online at FamilySearch.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cat=341169
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

much too late. by 1909 my subject was married with children here and had been here for at least 20 years.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

mezzogiorno62 wrote:much too late. by 1909 my subject was married with children here and had been here for at least 20 years.
I know this particular record is too late. However, I was hoping that since the name "Pasquarello" appeared for another Boston-area emigre, someone familiar with if/where the military records for Montemiletto may be found might be able to check those records for a "Dominico Pasquarello" born around 1868.
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

i contacted the military districts in avellino(campania) and potenza(basilicata)which i think may be more likely places of origin. i don't think it was sicily. in all likelihood i'll have to try a hit and miss for virtually all the provinces of the southern italian mainland,and if nothing is found there,then move on to the provinces of sicily. many of these registri di leva records start in the 1840s and continue into the 20th century.lots of information there as i have my grandfather's. the problem is,it takes a very long time to get a response. not even sure what port he arrived at. it says he immigrated in 1888. most likely it would have been new york(castlegarden)or boston. found nothing at either port close to his birth and immigration years. and as i said,with these early records,only country of origin is noted,never locality. after ellis island opened much more information was entered,like place of origin. my grandfather arrived at ellis island in 1900 and his last place of residence was there. same with my grandmother,who arrived in boston in 1902. but not with those pre 1890 records.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

mezzogiorno62 wrote:there wasn't an obituary,just a very brief funeral notice.
Assuming this is for the same person, the Certificate of Death isn't much more enlightening regarding a birth place. But it may provide new leads if you haven't already found this:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1928860

It is very likely that you already have the marriage record for the second marriage:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2061550 (line 62)

Not entirely sure how Caroline Rootes from the marriage record becomes Carrie Parry on the above death certificate, or Domenico's father "Vincenso" becomes James, but both records do seem to represent the person who's origin you are searching for.
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

vincenzo is the italian version of james. carrie parry is caroline rootes,who later became heywood and lord with 2 marriages before her 3rd wth dominico. her mother,louisa stone, married a james rootes before marrying a glendall,who used the pseudonym parry. this must be where the carrie parry came from. found all this at the find a grave website. dominico's 1st wife,maria capella,is buried in the catholic st.marys cemetery,while dominico is buried with 2nd wife caroline rootes in the protestant central cemetery. very rare for an italian of that generation to marry a non catholic englishwoman. that rarely even happened in the next generation. if an italian married a non italian it would be to another catholic. not until the 3rd generation,mine,would this kind of intermarriage be common. my grandparents,both italian immigrants,were even a rarity-my grandfather from avellino and my grandmother from messina. that was rare as most immigrant italians married only those from their area. dominico was a ground breaker. plus he remarried very quickly. 1st wife maria dies in july 1905 and he's remarried to caroline by oct. 1905. but the bottom line is,no comune of origin can be found on either marriage record or his death record. unable to find a passenger record for a dominico pasquarello/pasquariello b.ca.1868 and arriving ca. 1888,and it doesn't appear he was ever naturalized. he was only in 3 censuses-1890,1900,and 1910-as he died in 1919 just before the 1920 census. my only hope to find his comune of origin is his registri di leva(military record). as the area around naples has an extemely high number of pasquarello's/pasquariello's. i'll send letters of inquiry to the archivio di stato in the provinces in this area. hopefully he'll show up as registered for the military as men of 18 were required to register by law. as he left italy in 1888 age 20 he should have been registered wherever he resided.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

mezzogiorno62 wrote:vincenzo is the italian version of james.
I think Vincenzo = Vince and Giacomo = James; something to watch for when you find Domenico's origin if Domenico's father occasionally used his middle name instead of his given name.

Still, a very interesting bit of family history. I caught the quick remarriage; that tended to happen in Italian society when a father became a widower with a child, though in many cases the new wife would be a sister of the old one.

Good luck with your military record searches!
mezzogiorno62
Master
Master

Post by mezzogiorno62 »

thanks. thats my only hope as the few documents available here in his short 50 year life reveal nothing. the answer,hopefully,is in italy. as you can see,not only a quick remarriage,but to a non catholic englishwoman. as immigrant italians of that time rarely mixed socially outside of their group,i wonder under what circumstances dominico and caroline met. one with very little knowlege of emglish,the other without a clue to understanding italian. and both with children from other marriages. dominico with a young son and caroline with a son and daughter. together they had another son and 2 daughters.