I am a descent of a Powerful Sicilian Immigrant: Desire to know more

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CongettaBrooke

I am a descent of a Powerful Sicilian Immigrant: Desire to know more

Post by CongettaBrooke »

Hello,
My name is Brooke Fick and my grandmother's name was Congetta Bish. My Aunt told me that I am a descendant of some people with a lot of authority and control in Sicily today.
Although the generation line is long and spread out, the blood of my ancestors still run in my veins.
She told me a story last night about how our Sicilian ancestors arrived in America. They arrived in Ellis Island. They were 14 and 16 years old and couldn't bring their parents with them into America because they had what is known today as pink eye. My aunt said that they had one uncle in America to go to. She said they built a wonderful life and became known and well loved members of the town they moved to. I believe it was Milwaukee? She just texted me the name of one of our ancestors because I asked. The name of the person I am a descendent of is

Carlo Tarantino

If anyone knows anything about my story that could help me find my ancestors...please help. I want to know the people I am related to. I want to did my family.

Not because they may be very influential people with a lot of authority, but because they're my family and even though I don't agree with some of the things they do I still want them to know who I am and I want to know who they are.

This might be a lost cause, but I'm hoping this might help me find out more about myself. Thanks in advance.

Brooke Lynette Fick
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: I am a descent of a Powerful Sicilian Immigrant: Desire to know more

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
Carlo Tarantino was born 5/17/1887 in Modello town of Palermo

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
C_Artale
Rookie
Rookie

Post by C_Artale »

Here's the familysearch results for Carlo Tarantino. Noteworthy are the 1930 census and the findagrave link. Cross-reference this with any other confirmed information you may have (other known family member names, etc)

https://familysearch.org/search/record/ ... A1886-1888~

You can search by his name and other names listed on the findagrave site, here (to get the exact plot location within the cemetery):

http://www.cemeteries.org/Genealogy-Search.htm

Name: Carlo Tarantino
Date of Death: 11/19/1986
Date of Burial: 11/22/1986
Age at Death: 99
Marital Status: Widowed
Funeral Home: Schmidt/bart
Cemetery: Holy Cross Cemetery
Section:
Row:
Lot: 76
Grave: 2 (Anna Tarantino is buried in #1)
Surnames of interest:
Artale, Minincleri, Cattat (Accattato), Manfredi, Licetti, Durso, Pizzuto
C_Artale
Rookie
Rookie

Post by C_Artale »

Obituary of Congetta's brother, Carlo Tarantino Jr.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/jsonli ... =137676164

Someone has created a family tree that contains (at the very least) Carlo Sr. and his 2nd wife, Maria (Caterina) Tarantino (born Gagliono) on familysearch. Found this via my paid myheritage account. Search result listed his birthplace as Mondello, Palermo, Palermo, Sicilia, Italy.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/4:1:LKVD-JKQ

You'll have to create an account there to view the tree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Surnames of interest:
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Great finds!

Here is a POSSIBLE WWI Alien registration card (about 1917-1918) which gives his place of birth, more specifically as Monte San Giuliano, Prov. Trapani, Italy.
The birthdate is the same - May 19, 1887

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1968530

T.
C_Artale
Rookie
Rookie

Post by C_Artale »

Working off Carlo Jr's obit:

Via Newsbank:

His sister, Rose V. Pippa (born July 1, 1934 per Soc Security Death Index)
(Nee Tarantino) Found Eternal Peace September 29, 2004 at the age of 70. Loving and caring wife of Peter Pipia. Devoted and loving mother of Salvatore (the late Sandra) and Gina (Paul) Aiello. Proud and loving nana of Anthony, Anna Rose, Steven and Andrew. Dearest sister of Carlo (the late Eunice), Congetta (the late Robert) Bish, AnnaRose (the late Dominic) SanFelippo and Marie (John) Mullarkey. Preceded in death by her dear brothers, Anthony "Duffy", Steve (the late Elsie), Nick and Lawrence (the late Helen) Tarantino. Dear sister-in-law of Angie (Eugene) LeTendre, Tom (the late Rita), the late Rose Markum, Charles (the late Cheri), Frank (Carol) and Congetta (Florian) Palkowski. Cherished friend of Albina and Andy Buechler, Helen and Kenny Eggert and Blanche Ruehle. Also survived by aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins and many dear friends. Visitation Sunday, October 3 at the FUNERAL HOME from 3:00PM to 7:00PM with a Prayer Vigil Service at 6:30PM. Funeral Services Monday at 10:15AM from the Funeral Home to CHRIST KING CHURCH, 2604 Swan Blvd. for Mass of Christian Burial at 11:00AM. Procession to Holy Cross Cemetery for Committal Service and burial to follow. Rose was a proud member of the Italian Community Center, Ladies of Pompeii, St. Joseph's Society and the Red Hat Ladies. SCHMIDT & BARTELT GUARDALABENE & AMATO Funeral and Cremation Service 10121 W. North Ave. Wauwatosa

His wife, Eunice A.Tarantino (born October 30, 1917 per Soc Security Death Index)
Nov. 18, 1995, age 78 years. Beloved wife of Carlo. Dear mother of Debra. Sister-in-law of Congretta Bish, Elsie Tarantino, Anna San Felippo, Rose (Peter) Pipia, Marie (John) Mullarkey, and Helen and Pamela Tarantino. Further survived by nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends. Funeral Wed. from Trinity Lutheran Church, 2500 S. 68th St. at 10 AM. Interment Highland Memorial Park. Visitation Tuesday at Schaff 4:30 to 9 PM, also in state Wed. at the Church 9 AM until time of Service . SCHAFF FUNERAL HOME 5920 W. Lincoln Ave. 541-7533
Surnames of interest:
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hello Brooke,
to help you in your research i wanto to point out 2 things : correct name is Concetta not Congetta and the name of place of Birth is Mondello. Mondello was a village of fisherman last century, but now is residential "district" of Palermo. Mondello is famous Worldwide for its beatiful beach . Tarantino is a common surname in Palermo: you don't have other information about the job or activities of your ancestor?

good luck

Vincenzo.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).