Need help finding orphan great-grandfather's info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
avidya

Need help finding orphan great-grandfather's info

Post by avidya »

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me find more information or verify the information I currently have about my great-grandfather. His name was Francisco Carzello. The information I have tells me that he was born in Caserta (not 100% sure if the city of Caserta or another city within the province of Caserta) in 1901. He was orphaned and raised by Giovanni Viscuso and Francesca Condolina. He immigrated to the US in either 1920 or 1921. I would like to get enough info to request his birth certificate. Can someone help me figure out how I can verify his city of birth, and that his birth name was Francisco Carzello? I know that orphans were given different surnames than their biological parents (since orphanages didn't know the parent's surnames). From doing research I've found his certificate of naturalization for US citizenship, but I don't can't find anything from Italy. I also have only found a few records for Carzellos in Italy, which I was surprised about - does anyone know why that might be? Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thank you!
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Need help finding orphan great-grandfather's info

Post by Italysearcher »

There are many posts on my website that you might find helpful including one of finding the town of origin.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Francesco Carzello born in Caserta born Feb 12 1901

CLICK ON IMAGE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
avidya

Post by avidya »

Italysearcher wrote:There are many posts on my website that you might find helpful including one of finding the town of origin.
Thank you, Ann, I'll definitely take a look!
avidya

Post by avidya »

adelfio wrote:Birth record of Francesco Carzello born in Caserta born Feb 12 1901

CLICK ON IMAGE
Awesome! I really appreciate you finding and posting his birth record! Pming you now :)
avidya

Post by avidya »

Would anyone be willing to help translate/interpret what this birth record says? I can only make out some of the words and would really appreciate some assistance. The record at the top right - Francesco Carzello, is the one that I'm looking for assistance translating. Thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

On Feb 12 1901 a baby male was abandoned in the "house of the foundlings" in Casera. There were no signs that would have allowed to recognize it.
The baby was given, by the official, the name of Francesco Carzello.
avidya

Post by avidya »

liviomoreno wrote:On Feb 12 1901 a baby male was abandoned in the "house of the foundlings" in Casera. There were no signs that would have allowed to recognize it.
The baby was given, by the official, the name of Francesco Carzello.
Thank you, liviomoreno! Did you notice any names mentioned in his birth record - like any siblings, or the family that raised Francesco, etc? Or were there any locations mentioned? I'm hoping to try to track more information down when I visit Italy, so any leads from his birth record will really help. Thanks again! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

No there are no other names in the record.
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱