Do Italian Towns Have Historical Societies?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sigatti
Rookie
Rookie

Do Italian Towns Have Historical Societies?

Post by sigatti »

I was wondering if Italian towns had anything like the historical and/or genealogical societies that many communities in the US have? Along this line, I suspect that there is often a person or family in a town or village that might be considered the local history expert. Does anyone know if there is a tradition of having a local historian?

Thank you in advance.
Susan
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Do Italian Towns Have Historical Societies?

Post by Italysearcher »

The Proloco may handle this in some towns. Large citites would have something but it's not usually organized the way you are used to. Every town in my area is different and I often have to dig hard to come up with someone.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
mark04ox

Re: Do Italian Towns Have Historical Societies?

Post by mark04ox »

Interest in genealogy is not very widespread in Italy (in fact, I'd say it's a peculiarly American or new world obsession). You won't find a lot of genealogical societies, except perhaps those concerned with nobility. Local history, on the other hand, does interest many people. It is good advice to contact the pro loco. You might also try historians at nearby universities.