Dual Citizenship Question (Maternal)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Pugeroni

Dual Citizenship Question (Maternal)

Post by Pugeroni »

Hello! Hoping someone can help answer this question. I'm trying to figure out if I qualify for dual citizenship via Maternal Grandmother. She immigrated to the US in 1946 (married in Naples 1945) She had 2 children in Italy but when she came to the US she had my Mother in 1951.

Given this information below I'm confused as to if "children" means my Mother or children in general.
Parents who became naturalized citizens of their new country BEFORE the birth of their children lost their Italian citizenship and COULD NOT pass citizenship on to them, while parents who became naturalized AFTER the birth of their children COULD pass citizenship on to them.

Thank you!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Dual Citizenship Question (Maternal)

Post by mler »

It means all children. In your mother's case, she was born a US citizen, and also an Italian citizen (assuming you gm did not naturalize before your mother's birth in 1951).
Qliner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Qliner »

She was born a US citizen however Pugeroni may actually still qualify if he wishes to fight the 1948 rule. My extended family of 11 just did this and won through our maternal line.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

No need to go the 1948 route. The mother was born in 1951. This is an easy one.
Qliner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Qliner »

Yup, you're right, I missed that. Wonderful!
brendariani
Veteran
Veteran

Post by brendariani »

Hi I wonder if you could help me with Italian Citizenship please? My Great Grandfather came from Italy in 1897 (we think) to Belfast, N.Iteland. He had my Grandfather in 1910, my mother was born in 1943. Do I qualify? Many thanks
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I'm assuming your entire family lives in Ireland. Is that correct?

If your great grandfather never naturalized or did naturalize after the 1910 birth of your grandfather, you qualify.
There are other possibilities as well, but it's impossible to know unless you provide specific dates and locations.
brendariani
Veteran
Veteran

Post by brendariani »

Yes my family live in Ireland. He came to Ireland himself without any family members. I do not know if he did naturalize? How would I find out?
What information do you need? Many thanks
brendariani
Veteran
Veteran

Post by brendariani »

My Mum confirmed he did not naturalize. He stowed away from Italy approx age 16. He did not register until 1917 in Ireland. He had been here 20 years. He used a different 1st name but was buried under his orginal name.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If he never naturalized, you have an easy path to citizenship. You do, however, need to prove he didn't naturalize.

I'm not sure how you obtain "no naturalization" records in Ireland. Check with the naturalization office in your country.
brendariani
Veteran
Veteran

Post by brendariani »

Thank you for this informarion.
clrendal

Post by clrendal »

I am hoping someone can advise me as to whether I have any options for dual citizenship on the maternal side.
My grandfather was born in Italy 1889.
Grandmother born in Italy 1896.
Grandfather immigrated to USA in 1910
Declared naturalization in 1914 and fought in the US army
He was married though in Italy sometime before 1922 to my grandmother. She came over in 1922.
My mother was born in the US in 1926.

I am not sure if my grandmother declared US citizenship.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Before 1922, the Cable Act meant that a married woman automatically received citizenship through her husband. Your grandmother may have earned US citizenship in that manner and may never have naturalized on her own behalf.

It that is true, you may have a 1948 case, but only a lawyer can confirm.