please help me ID this coat of arms (if that's what it

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
arttravitaly

please help me ID this coat of arms (if that's what it

Post by arttravitaly »

Hello, this is my first post, and thanks for listening. If you've read this question on other forums, I apologize for the duplicates. I really want to solve this question.

I'm trying to ID a coat of arms that is in the background of an engraving from about 1507. I think it's a coat of arms, but it could also be a personal emblem - you'd know better than I. It is probably from Modena, Ferrara or Rome, though i would not discount any other town in northern italy.

I have posted the photo at: http://www.arttrav.com/tower.htm

Any leads will be much appreciated, as I am finding that reverse coat of arms research is next to impossible (having read an entire turn-of the century book of Ferrarese coats, which put me to sleep).
Best regards, Alexandra
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: please help me ID this coat of arms (if that's what

Post by suanj »

Alexandra you can show us the complete coat of arms and on where it is? Thanks, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
arttravitaly

Post by arttravitaly »

Volontieri! thanks for taking a look. I have put up the full print - I hesitated to do so because I do not have reproduction rights for this photo. Details are at the link above.

The photo is a detail from a print by Nicoletto da Modena, ca. 1507, about which i am writing an article. Anyone who answers this question will get gracious and grateful thanks in the footnotes.

The various other symbols that you see in this photo can be traced to the artist (some are his personal emblems), but this arms (if that is what it is) is unique to this artist's 130 known works. The landscape behind all this is also not likely to yeild hints as to provenance, because it looks just like all his other fantasy landscapes, influenced by his travels in Venice.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Nicoletto da Modena worked also in Como area..
personally I think that this is no a coat of arms...
I know that :

"The landscape behind all this is also not likely to yeild hints as to provenance, because it looks just like all his other fantasy landscapes..."

yes and is so, but as it seems me.... it seems a simbology pertaining the author or indicating the town where the work has been made ... sometimes the artistes made this ...

I no found the complete picture on line, and as for all artwork the particular it must be seen in the artwork context..
regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
arttravitaly

Post by arttravitaly »

Thanks again for helping. I did put the full print up on the webpage (www.arttrav.com/tower.htm) after your last post, perhaps you need to hit "refresh" on your browser to see it.

Indeed Nicoletto worked around Como and semes to have been very influential there.

It's possibly a symbol related to nicoletto, or a town symbol, i hadn't thought of that idea. I can't discount anything. But most scholars point to it being a coat of arms (unidentified) because it does not show up in his other works. He tends to repeat his personal symbols - crossed branches, a pot, and various initials. Then again, this artist is wierd, and the print is even wierder, so anything goes. But I certainly hope to find a family to connect to this print!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I send you my opinion by private message and email.
Best regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH