DeLillo/a

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jmd1181

DeLillo/a

Post by jmd1181 »

hello,
i am wondering if anyone has any information or links to information on a Anthony DeLillo. He came to NYC in the early 1900's and changed his name to DeLilla. I have had trouble locating information on him, particularly because of the name change. He was married in NYC to a Loise Adamo. These are my great-grandparents.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: DeLillo/a

Post by nuccia »

Hi,

I found an interesting 1920 census for a Tony

1920 United States Federal Census Recordinfo
about Tony De Lillo
Name: Tony De Lillo
[Tony Delillo]
Estimated birth year: abt 1884
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Brooklyn Assembly District 14, Kings, New York
Home owned: Rent
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1902
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 304

Married a Louisa, 32 yrs old and lived on the same street as several Adamo's..can't really read the name of the street. Could be Conslrya Street...need other opinions, though. Louisa came in 1904 and she and Tony were both alien status in 1920. Tony was a bricklayer Contractor in Kings New York.

Children are: Angeline,13 years old, James, 10, Pasty, 8, Joseph, 5, and Matilda 2.

Hope this helps.

Nuccia :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Again,

Here is Tony's draft registration cards.

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Recordinfo
about Antonio Delillo
Name: Antonio Delillo
City: Brooklyn
County: Kings
State: New York
Birth Date: 29 May 1884
Race: White
Roll: 1754397
DraftBoard: 51
Permanent address is: 35 Conselyea St, Bkln, NY
Present occupation: Foundry, Greenpoint Mettalic , 226 Franklin St, Bkln, NY
Nearest relative: Luisa Delilla, 35 Conselya St, Bkln, NY, NY
He was able to sign his name so he could write a little
Medium height and build and had black hair and eyes
Dated Sept 17, 1918

I've tried to write things as they appear on the cards so you'll notice the variations in spelling. This may be useful when researching as you said due to name changes, you were having difficulty finding things.

Death information:

Social Security Death Index Recordinfo
about Anthony Delilla
Name: Anthony Delilla
SSN: 121-07-2256
Last Residence: 11783 Seaford, Nassau, New York, United States of America
Born: 8 Aug 1884
Died: Sep 1973
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )

ocial Security Death Index Recordinfo
about Louise Delilla
Name: Louise Delilla
SSN: 069-52-8816
Last Residence: 11783 Seaford, Nassau, New York, United States of America
Born: 15 Jan 1888
Died: Sep 1973
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (1973 )

Nuccia :D
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I also found this obit which mentions Antonio and Louisa. Another child? I don't remember seeing him on the 1920 census though...hmmmm..... :?

Obituaries

DeLilla
Vincent Thomas DeLilla, age 94, passed away Feb. 14, 2004. Born to Antonio and Louise DeLilla, on Aug. 12, 1909, in Brooklyn, NY. United in marriage to Loretta Watts on Sept. 7, 1941, in Long Island, NY. ?Jim? was a machinist employed by Grumman Aerospace. His work moved him to Las Cruces in 1964 where he worked on the lunar excursion module. In 1969, he relocated to Houston, finally retiring to Las Cruces in 1973. In Nov. 2003 they moved to T or C. He enjoyed solving math problems and working with wood.
He is survived by his wife, Loretta of T or C, NM. Son, Edward Anthony DeLilla, wife Helen, of Burnside, Christchurch, NZ. Daughter, Louise ?Pat? Predmore, husband Jerry, of T or C, NM. Six grandchildren: Clint Langdon, Clayton Langdon, Justin Predmore, Leslie DeLilla, Kristin DeLilla and Christopher DeLilla. Five great-grandchildren. Also a brother and sister.
Visitation from 6 PM to 8 PM, Wed., Feb. 18th, at Sierra Funeral Home. Funeral Mass at 11 AM, Thur., Feb.19th, at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church. Burial will follow at Vista Memory Gardens Cemetery. Arrangements by Sierra Funeral Home, Truth or Consequences, 505-894-4428.

Nuccia : :(
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Street name is Consulrya.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Are you looking to trace family here in US or Italy?
Have you located a ship manifest or identified the town of origin?
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Sorry to take so long to respond to your pm.... :oops:
after reading the thread, can you first confirm the info found so far, if this info is in fact correct or incorrect??

wldspirit
Julz

Post by Julz »

I know this was posted a couple of years ago, so I'm hoping that the original poster still has an active account. I think I may be related to you. I have never met any of my family on my father's side, which would be the DeLilla side. But he had a grandfather named Antonio Nicolo DeLillo who changed his last name to DeLilla shortly after coming here from Italy. My dad knows alot about the family and I'm sure would be willing to share what he knows. His name is Daniel and he is the son of Pasquale (Pat) DeLilla, who would in turn be the son of Antonio. This would make me their great-grandchild as well. My name is Juliann. Feel free to reply!!