Please Translate-------Calabrian Dialect if possible

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie

Please Translate-------Calabrian Dialect if possible

Post by jjk_16_21 »

I am sending a letter to a couple households in San Giovanni in Fiore, to see if some of the Guarascio's still remaining in Italy are linked to my Great Grandfather. If some one can translate this into Calabrian Dialect, it would be much appreciated as always!!!! Thank you.

Dear Guarascio Family,

My name is James Klos and I am from the United States of America. I am the Great Grandchild of Giuseppe Guarascio who was born on March 23,1904. He was born in San Giovanni in Fiore, Calabria. Giuseppe’s parents were Tommaso Guarascio and Anna Maria Secreti. Salvatore Guarascio was the older son of Tommaso and Anna Maria Guarascio. He was born in 1901. My Great-Great Grandparents and their family set forth to America in 1913. When my ancestors came to the Unites States, they worked as Coal Miners. My Great Grandfather Giuseppe Guarascio married Rosie Scarcelli in 1930. Rosie Scarcelli’s family was from San Giovanni in Fiore also, however, Rosie was born in the United States in 1911. They had many children in the United States and one of them in particular was my Grandmother, Barbara Jean Guarashio. She was born in 1937. When my Grandfather went through customs, his name was changed to Joe Guarashio. Since he did not know how to write or speak English, the custom officers wrote down how they thought the name was spelled out as. Barbara Jean Guarashio then married Samuel Ernest Gehrke in 1952. He was German. In 1955, they had a daughter named Linda Maria Gehrke, which is my mother. My mother married Gerald Klos and have eleven children. That is a summary of who I am, and now here is why I am writing….

I am hoping to hopefully find some of my family that stayed behind in Italia while my G-G-grandparents came to America. I am currently going through the process of getting Italian Dual Citizenship by Jure Sanguinis. Some time in the near future I plan to make a visit to San Giovanni In Fiore to see the town of my ancestors. Hopefully, I will be able to meet some of my distant relatives that remained in Italia. I am also sending this letter to a few Guarascio households that are in San Giovanni In Fiore. I hope that this letter does not scare you. I mean no harm, I am just trying to see if there are any relatives that are linked to my Great Grandfather that are still living in San Giovanni in Fiore. Enclosed is a family tree of how I am related to Giuseppe Guarascio. If you are not related to this family treeI am sorry about sending you this letter. If you are related, I ask that you please re-write back if you have the chance. I would love to hear from you! Thank you for your time. God Bless!

Sincerely,

James Klos
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Please Translate-------Calabrian Dialect if possible

Post by suanj »

James: and why in calabrian dialect? In Italy all to speak the ITALIAN! and in San Giovanni in Fiore also!
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjk_16_21 »

I figured id try to make the letter easiest as possible for them. That is their dialect, not regular italian although I know it is almost the same. Either way, can you please translate...
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

jjk_16_21 wrote:I figured id try to make the letter easiest as possible for them. That is their dialect, not regular italian although I know it is almost the same. Either way, can you please translate...
no.. no... the italian is normal... the dialect it cannot be written and it cannot be read, because the accentations are impossible to read or to write.. and only the local historians can make it in some way more or less well... the dialects, all dialects are only speaks ... so is better the italian language.. regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

suanj wrote:
jjk_16_21 wrote:I figured id try to make the letter easiest as possible for them. That is their dialect, not regular italian although I know it is almost the same. Either way, can you please translate...
no.. no... the italian is normal... the dialect it cannot be written and it cannot be read, because the accentations are impossible to read or to write.. and only the local historians can make it in some way more or less well... the dialects, all dialects are only speaks ... so is better the italian language.. regards, suanj
Suanj is correct. We speak different dialects because of all the different villages, etc in Italy but when writing, only proper Italian is recognized. In school, all Italians are spoken to and taught to write in Italian regardless of where they are living. There would be no way of communicating to people in other areas of Italy otherwise because you would never be able to understand each others dialect. :)

Is this correct, Suanj? :D :D

Nuccia :D
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Yes Nuccia you are quite right, and I'm sure suanj will go along with what you say.
In fact the difficulties arise when someone attempts to write down a dialect....as can in fact be seen on threads on other sites.
To be able to scribe a dialect correctly the author would need to resort to the use of 'phonetics' - and that leads to discussions and differences over the pronunciation of those same phonetics. It just becomes a vicious circle from which there is often no exit.

Hence the sensible decision made 'goodness how long ago' by the Italian Government of the time, to insist that every child is taught the national form of the language.

Elba.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi yes both right! the dialect
is handed orally and it cannot be written well, and also in a same area the dialect is diversified, and it is only used in family (not always) and with the friends, and therefore it must understand that the dialect is SPOKEN and not written as a language.
Regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjk_16_21 »

Can Somebody then translate to Italian so I can send this letter out? Thank you for clearing up my knowledge about the calabrese dialect, I thought they would write this way also. Thank you very much, and please translate!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Guarascio Family,

My name is James Klos and I am from the United States of America. I am the Great Grandchild of Giuseppe Guarascio who was born on May 23,1904. He was born in San Giovanni in Fiore, Calabria. Giuseppe’s parents were Tommaso Guarascio and Anna Maria Secreti. Salvatore Guarascio was the older son of Tommaso and Anna Maria Guarascio. He was born in 1901. My Great-Great Grandparents and their family set forth to America in 1913. When my ancestors came to the Unites States, they worked as Coal Miners. My Great Grandfather Giuseppe Guarascio married Rosie Scarcelli in 1930. Rosie Scarcelli’s family was from San Giovanni in Fiore also, however, Rosie was born in the United States in 1911. They had many children in the United States and one of them in particular was my Grandmother, Barbara Jean Guarashio. She was born in 1937. When my Grandfather went through customs, his name was changed to Joe Guarashio. Since he did not know how to write or speak English, the custom officers wrote down how they thought the name was spelled out as. Barbara Jean Guarashio then married Samuel Ernest Gehrke in 1952. He was German. In 1955, they had a daughter named Linda Maria Gehrke, which is my mother. My mother married Gerald Klos and have eleven children. That is a summary of who I am, and now here is why I am writing….

I am hoping to hopefully find some of my family that stayed behind in Italia while my G-G-grandparents came to Americawith their family. I am currently going through the process of getting Italian Dual Citizenship through Jure Sanguinis. Some time in the near future I plan to make a visit to San Giovanni In Fiore to visit the town of my ancestors. Hopefully, I will be able to meet some of my distant relatives that remained in Italia. I am also sending this letter to a few Guarascio households that are in San Giovanni In Fiore. I hope that this letter does not scare you. I mean no harm, I am just trying to see if there are any relatives that are linked to my Great Grandfather that are still living in San Giovanni in Fiore. Enclosed is a family tree of how I am related to Giuseppe Guarascio. If you are not related to this family tree, I am sorry about sending you this letter. If you are related, I ask that you please re-write back if you have the chance. I would love to hear from you! Thank you for your time. God Bless!

Sincerely,

James Klos
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

jjk_16_21 wrote:Can Somebody then translate to Italian so I can send this letter out? Thank you for clearing up my knowledge about the calabrese dialect, I thought they would write this way also. Thank you very much, and please translate!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Guarascio Family,

My name is James Klos and I am from the United States of America. I am the Great Grandchild of Giuseppe Guarascio who was born on May 23,1904. He was born in San Giovanni in Fiore, Calabria. Giuseppe’s parents were Tommaso Guarascio and Anna Maria Secreti. Salvatore Guarascio was the older son of Tommaso and Anna Maria Guarascio. He was born in 1901. My Great-Great Grandparents and their family set forth to America in 1913. When my ancestors came to the Unites States, they worked as Coal Miners. My Great Grandfather Giuseppe Guarascio married Rosie Scarcelli in 1930. Rosie Scarcelli’s family was from San Giovanni in Fiore also, however, Rosie was born in the United States in 1911. They had many children in the United States and one of them in particular was my Grandmother, Barbara Jean Guarashio. She was born in 1937. When my Grandfather went through customs, his name was changed to Joe Guarashio. Since he did not know how to write or speak English, the custom officers wrote down how they thought the name was spelled out as. Barbara Jean Guarashio then married Samuel Ernest Gehrke in 1952. He was German. In 1955, they had a daughter named Linda Maria Gehrke, which is my mother. My mother married Gerald Klos and have eleven children. That is a summary of who I am, and now here is why I am writing….

I am hoping to hopefully find some of my family that stayed behind in Italia while my G-G-grandparents came to Americawith their family. I am currently going through the process of getting Italian Dual Citizenship through Jure Sanguinis. Some time in the near future I plan to make a visit to San Giovanni In Fiore to visit the town of my ancestors. Hopefully, I will be able to meet some of my distant relatives that remained in Italia. I am also sending this letter to a few Guarascio households that are in San Giovanni In Fiore. I hope that this letter does not scare you. I mean no harm, I am just trying to see if there are any relatives that are linked to my Great Grandfather that are still living in San Giovanni in Fiore. Enclosed is a family tree of how I am related to Giuseppe Guarascio. If you are not related to this family tree, I am sorry about sending you this letter. If you are related, I ask that you please re-write back if you have the chance. I would love to hear from you! Thank you for your time. God Bless!

Sincerely,

James Klos
[hr]
Cara famiglia Guarascio,
il mio nome è James Klos e provengo dagli USA.
Sono il bisnipote di Giuseppe Guarascio che nacque il 23 maggio1904 a San Giovanni in Fiore, Calabria; i suoi genitori erano Tommaso Guarascio ed Anna Maria Secreti. Essi ebbero altri figli e il primo si chiamava Salvatore Guarascio nato nel 1901.
I miei trisnonni e la loro famiglia emigrarono in America in 1913.
Quando giunsero negli USA lavorarono come minatori delle miniere di carbone. Il mio bisnonno Giuseppe Guarascio sposò nel 1930 Rosie Scarcelli.
La famiglia di Rosie Scarcelli anche proveniva da San Giovanni in Fiore i, tuttavia lei, Rosie era nata negli USA nel 1911. Essi ebbero molti bambini ed uno di loro è la mia nonna che si chiama Barbara Jean Guarashio nata nel 1937.

Quando il mio bisnonno cambiò le proprie abitudini il suo nome divenne Joe Guarashio poichè non sapeva scrivere o parlare l'inglese, e gli impiegati scrissero il suo nome come lo pensarono loro.
Barbara Jean Guarashio, mia nonna, sposòSamuel Ernest Gehrke in 1952 di origine tedesca e nel 1955 nacque la loro figlia di nome Linda Maria Gehrke, la quale è mia madre.che ha sposato Gerald Klos ed hanno undici figli. Questo è un sommario di chi sono e perchè vi sto scrivendo .... Sto sperando eventualmente di trovare qualcuno della mia famiglia che è rimasto in Italia mentre i miei antenati sono venuti in America con la loro famiglia.
Attualmente sto facendo con il procedimento per ottenere la doppia cittadinanza italiana per Jure Sanguinis.
Nell'immediato futuro ho inprogramma di venire a San Giovanni in Fiore per visitare la città dei miei antenati e desidero contattare alcuni dei miei parenti italiani in San Giovanni in Fiore.

Inoltre sto inviando questa lettera ad alcune famiglie Guarascio della vostra città. Spero che questa lettera non spaventi nessuno perchè non voglio essere un danno, poichè voglio solo provare a vedere se ci sono dei parenti viventi in San Giovanni in Fiore discendenti della stessa stirpe del mio trisnonno.
In allegato a questa lettera c' è l'albero genealogico mio fino ad arrivare a Giuseppe Guarascio mio antenato emigrato.

Se non vi riconoscete in questo albero genealogico, sono spiacente di avervi inviato questa lettera. Se invece siete miei parenti, chiedo che mi rispondiate presto. Amerei sentire vostre notizie! Grazie per il vostro tempo.
Dio vi benedica!
Francamente,
[hr]
just some corrections for to better understand in italian... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jjk_16_21
Rookie
Rookie