fnovella

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
fnovella

fnovella

Post by fnovella »

The meaning of Capitane di Chiave in Capua

I got a photograph of the document given to my g-g-g-father Salvatore Ceci by the Re. It was a promotion from Secondo Tenente to Capitane di Chiave in Capua. It was dated Napoli 1 Marzo 1841. Il Re was Ferdinando II Re dei Regno Delle Due Sicilie.
The document reads as follows:

Il RE
Essendome degnato prescrivere che D. Salvatore Ceci sia debita_
mente riconosciuto nel impriego disecondo tenente già con_
ferito gli fin dal ventidue ottobre milleottocentoventotto

ho ordinato che gli sia spedita la presente nomina firmata di mia Real Mano
e roborata dal mio Direttore del Ministero e real Segretaria di Stato de la Guer_
ra e Marina. Pertanto impongo ai Comandante Generali delle armi ed a
tutte le Autorita militare di dare gli ordine conveniente accio sia riconosciuto in detto impiego conservandogli e faciendogli conservare tutti gli onori, grazie e preeminenze che gli spettano, e gli averi che gli corrispondono per detto impie_
go a norma delle tariffe in vigore, e secondo le diverse destinazione che mi pia_
cerà di absegnargli con ordine particolare per lo bene del mio Real Servizio, e voglio che le Reali Officine,cui spetti facciano registro,e formino l´absiento di que_
sta Nomina. Dato in Napoli il diprimo Marzo milleottocentoquarantuno
Io Il Re
Sua Maesttà rilascia la nomina Di secondo Tenente a D. Salvatore Ceci gia nominato tale fin dal ventidue Ottobre milleottocentotrentotto actualmente
Capitane di Chiavi in Capua.

For the tree dates given, I can assume that he was during ten years 1828-1838 Secondo Tenente, and since that dateâ€â€
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: fnovella

Post by suanj »

Hi, I advice you of to send a email here info @ regioesercito.it (no spaces) about your topic and they will reply you, this is the better help that you can have about your question... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

[quote="fnovella"]The meaning of Capitane di Chiave in Capua

I got a photograph of the document given to my g-g-g-father Salvatore Ceci by the Re. It was a promotion from Secondo Tenente to Capitane di Chiave in Capua. It was dated Napoli 1 Marzo 1841. Il Re was Ferdinando II Re dei Regno Delle Due Sicilie.
The document reads as follows:

Il RE
Essendome degnato prescrivere che D. Salvatore Ceci sia debita_
mente riconosciuto nel impriego disecondo tenente già con_
ferito gli fin dal ventidue ottobre milleottocentoventotto

ho ordinato che gli sia spedita la presente nomina firmata di mia Real Mano
e roborata dal mio Direttore del Ministero e real Segretaria di Stato de la Guer_
ra e Marina. Pertanto impongo ai Comandante Generali delle armi ed a
tutte le Autorita militare di dare gli ordine conveniente accio sia riconosciuto in detto impiego conservandogli e faciendogli conservare tutti gli onori, grazie e preeminenze che gli spettano, e gli averi che gli corrispondono per detto impie_
go a norma delle tariffe in vigore, e secondo le diverse destinazione che mi pia_
cerà di absegnargli con ordine particolare per lo bene del mio Real Servizio, e voglio che le Reali Officine,cui spetti facciano registro,e formino l´absiento di que_
sta Nomina. Dato in Napoli il diprimo Marzo milleottocentoquarantuno
Io Il Re
Sua Maesttà rilascia la nomina Di secondo Tenente a D. Salvatore Ceci gia nominato tale fin dal ventidue Ottobre milleottocentotrentotto actualmente
Capitane di Chiavi in Capua.

For the tree dates given, I can assume that he was during ten years 1828-1838 Secondo Tenente, and since that dateâ€â€
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

It would seem from the royal edict that he was promoted 'from' Captain of the Keys up to Second Lieutenant - see closing/last sentence.

Hope this is of some use.
Elba.

THE KING
I am honoured to order that D. Salvatore Ceci is duly recognised in the grade of second lieutenant which was conferred on him from the twenty second of October Eighteen Hundred and Twenty Eight
I have ordered that the present nomination signed by my Royal Hand and is sent and corroborated by my Director of the Ministry and royal Secretary of State for War and Admiralty. I therefore empower the General Commanding Officer and all other military Authorities to issue a suitable order so that he is recognised in the said role, retaining and keeping all the honours, thanks to the pre-eminence that is his right, and the corresponding items that correspond to the said role within the current tarriffs/rates, and according to the different destinations that I may wish to assign him to with particular orders for the benefit of my Royal Service, and I would like the Royal Offices, whose duty it is, to formulate and record the assent of this Nomination.
Given in Naples the first day of March Eighteen hundred and forty one.
I The King
His Majesty grants the grade of Second Lieutenant to D. Salvatore Ceci who was nominated as such since the twenty second of October Eighteen Hundred and Twenty Eight and who is currently the Captain of the Keys in Capua
fnovella

Post by fnovella »

Thank you Suanj and Elba
Sorry for repliyng this late, I had to travel outside the country.

I did write to the regioesercito, but they had replied that the time period they actually cover by mandate, is 1923 to 1943. So this place would be important for those who have/ad family members that served during this period. Never the less it was very usefull-thankyou.
I did some search previosly at the esercito italiano, and found but very limited information. It looks there is a gap. Some how some day..

Regarding the translation, Elba, many thanks. I thought Secondo Tenente was a lower grade than Capitane.

Grazie.
Fernando
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Hi fnovella,

Yes I wondered about that discrepancy in grades too. But on reflection I think this may be the answer:

I think that "Capitane De Chiavi" is possibly a title and not a grade. A good example of this could be the "Keeper of the Queens Keys" at the Tower of London. His army 'rank' has nothing to do with his current role in the Tower.
I think this may have been the case here too. The King says quite clearly that he had undertaken this role (Capitane) for sometime and the opening statement says he (the King) was pleased to confer the grade of 'second liutenant' (giving the clear impression that this was indeed a promotion with an increase in both pay and conditions, and of course it is backdated - so a nice lump sum in 'back pay' I would hope!
Elba.
fnovella

Post by fnovella »

Grazie Elba, I bet your surname is Holmes !

It makes sense. I did visit Capua´s web page in order to know more about this city. It looks like a very old city and most important a closed city with doors.... maybe.

I did suscribe to capua on line forum and post a lettere al Direttore to find out more. I will let you know the reply.

Many thanks,
Fernando
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Hi Fernando,

No not 'Holmes' - Dr. Watson maybe.... :wink:

If you get stuck with anything in Italian and you need a translation, let me know. This is 'beyond' being intriguing - it's fascinating!

Elba.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Hi Fernando,
You 'may' find these links interesting if you haven't seen them, especially the 2nd one with the 'gate'......

http://www.capuaonline.it/carnevale/fot ... hiavi.html

http://www.museocampano.it/articoli_det ... ?artID=138
Portal…

http://www.touritaly.org/tours/capua/capua-main.htm
Use links at bottom of page to do the tour...

Regards,
elba