immigrant pictures

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

immigrant pictures

Post by suanj »

hi, here some pictures about italians immigrant in USA
the txt is in italian language, but very interesting equally... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: immigrant pictures

Post by wldspirit »

How sad are these pictures.......the conditions that they lived in....
yet it speaks to how strong are the Italian in spirit...........that they survived the immigration and strove to improve their lives..........
Thank you Suanj for this link.......to read about the history is one thing,
but to see it is another.....
DeLisa
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Dear Lisa, yes very sad, I would love that the members told the ancestor emigration story and the difficulty of being Italian in USA... in those difficult years.... the right story is the simply people story...kisses, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

My God,

I can't believe how some of this poor people had to live! More reason to respect them and to remember that many parts of the USA and Canada were constructed by the Italians, and how much of that talent is lost today.

Many of our fathers and grandfathers, uncles were tradesman...the physical work they put into this country to help make it what it is should never be forgotten. And the poor mothers and children..many without education who eventually found jobs doing so much for so little!!! :(

Rasicm, huh? They knew all about it!! :(

Nuccia
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Certainly some of the conditions seen in these photographs are harrowing. Immigrants from many different countries are shown, though some of the titles are not quite what is written under some of the photo's - while others are indeed a true translation.

Seeing these conditions - which it seems many were more than pleased to suffer if it meant they could stay in the United States - makes you wonder under what kind of conditions they were forced to live in back in their 'homelands'?

Elba.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

what it is important are the pictures... the right titles are in the photo, under ... suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

suanj wrote:what it is important are the pictures... the right titles are in the photo, under ... suanj
My comment about the pictures was just as an aside.... I don't have any interest whatsoever in openly correcting translations made by others!

My main area of comment was regarding the conditions these poor people had probably left behind in their homelands, in the hope of finding something better in the United States. They could only have been very disappointed at what they did find, and I would imagine this made the majority of them very determined to make a success of their new life.

Looking around many places in Italy at the moment there are similar inhuman conditions, where many 'illegal immigrants' from so many different countries, are trying to gain a better life than that which they have left behind. The difference being that the USA accepted the majority of european immigrants then, and Europe hasn't got the social structure to do the same for all who wish to come here!

Elba.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Elba,
-my reply was a confirming on your reply about the titles: you are right;

-my phrase: "what it is important are the pictures" is my opinion and means that is no important to precise that the titles in italian (they write from webmaster) are no most right, because here no many members to speak the italian language, but I have meant to show here of the images that have the force of visual language to all comprehensible; I knowed that the webmaster no wrote it very well, but my idea, my opinion is that this title's discordance is no important FOR ME because the pictures express equally all and they are comprehensible from all.

Best regards,
suanj

PS: my impression is that we two, I and you, write also both on an other forum: I'm in error?

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

You are right Suanj............the writing, it does not matter......it is the eyes.......it is seeing. We have all read of the history, the discrimination, the conditions, and in our minds eye we see something different, each of us...but the pictures make it to clear............
much kisses and hugs,
Lisa
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

:wink: Hi Lisa, is always a happiness to read your post! many kisses and hugs to you also and for all women!!

[align=center]Image[/align]

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Everyone,

Isn't today International Woman's Day or Day of the Woman?

Nuccia :D
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

nuccia wrote:Hi Everyone,

Isn't today International Woman's Day or Day of the Woman?

Yes indeed.
That's almost certainly why suanj sent 'mimosa' which is symbolic here on this day.... and a charming gesture I think.

Elba.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Well Then,

It's a truly special day!!! :D :D :D :D

Thanks Suanj for the thought and to Elba for the confirmation!

May today bring every woman health, wealth and true happiness now and always! :D :D :D :D

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

:wink: W the women! suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Suanj,

I am so glad I found this post. My son is doing immigration day at school on April 5th. He understood how my grandfather and my father in law came to America. But did not know what conditions they had to travel to get here.

We enjoyed viewing these pictures- as pictures tell a thousand words. The rough times, the dress and also the sadness of coming to a new country, and leaving loved ones in their homeland.

He just finished making his suitcase in which we have to pack his belongings to the new country. So we had to fugure what would be important to bring.

Next we have to dress like they did in the early 1900's and make a paper doll of his ancestor. This is one project I am so enjoying. The look of wonder and excitement in my sons eyes knowing what our grandfathers/mothers, unlces and aunts had to overcome to make a better world in which we live now.

They will be traveling by boat, then going thru the stations of coming into the US. Medical exams, Customs etc. Should be exciting!!! I will be taking pictures of their wonderful day!

Does anyone else's child's school do such project? I think this project which starts in March and ends in April is a great one.

Thanks again for those great pictures. It has opened up the door for him and I am most greatful.

Ally