Italian Dual-Citizenship (want it so bad!)

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
spiffywilco

Italian Dual-Citizenship (want it so bad!)

Post by spiffywilco »

Hi!

I've done a lot of research, and have gone through countless websites, and I'm not sure I have the right information or not about obtaining Italian Citizenship or not, but here we go!

Here is my dilemma; I want so badly to obtain Italian Citizenship (dual, currently a resident of the US), and I have done a lot of research. I visited my Consulate branch here in Cleveland and was instructed on how to begin. First thing I did was contact the National Archives office in Phila, PA, since my Great Grandfather (the one whom was born in Italy) immigrated to to died in Pittsburgh, PA.

The National Archives office contacted me via email only a week later and informed me that they had a close match with a Charles Esposito, who arrived in the US in 1903 (on the passport we have, which is Italian, he arrived in 1909), and had almost everything match. It stated that he naturalized in 1912. This Charles Esposito is likely a match as he has the same birthdate as Carlo Esposito.

My Grandfather was born in 1924, making me not ellibigle for "right of blood". I was hoping that maybe I could do it through my grandmother. her grandparents were born in Italy, and my mother was born after 1948. That's quite a long line.

Following here is all the information that I have, on both sides of my Grandmother, and Grandfather.

Italian Ancestry Information:

Grandmothers Side:
Name: Madeline Sabina (DeMann) Esposito
Born: September 15th, 1924
City: Pittsburgh, PA
Fathers Name: Anthony James DeMann
Father Born: April 1st, 1900 (not sure about year)
Mothers Name: Dorothy (Cielli) Demann
Mother Born: March 27th, 1900 (not sure about year)
Great Grand Father/Mother: Possibly lived in Connecticut
Their Children: Frederick James DeMann, Madeline Sabina DeMann, Evlyn.

Grandfathers Side:
Information about my Great Grandfather:
Name: Carlo Esposito (Charles Muzeo/Museo Esposito)
Spouse: Elizabeta Muzeo
Born: July 1, 1886
Province: Catanzaro, Calabria
City: Nicastro
Arrived: July, 1909 (1903)
Mother's Name: Maria
Father's Name: Eugenio
Died: Pittsburgh, 1942

I'm hoping that maybe I can still get citizenship some how. I'm going to get in touch with Bella Consultants http://www.bellaconsultants.com and see if they can do this research and find a loophole or anything at all.

I want this more than words can amount to, and have thought about any way I can possibly get it. I plan on moving to Italy to finish school and work, but waiting 10 years would just be too much, plus I'd have to give up my American citizenship. If that's the only way, then that's the only way, but I'm hoping there is an alternative.

Please help, if there is ANY option I might have!

Grazie!
spiffywilco

Re: Italian Dual-Citizenship (want it so bad!)

Post by spiffywilco »

Nothing? Can nothing be done?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

There is a lawyer, specializing in Italian law out of San Francisco, I believe, who post at the following site...post your query there, also, an organization in Italy who help in obtaining dual citizenship........ainee something or other.....she had posted here last year and at one time I had the site bookmarked, but cannot find it now...... :roll:
wldspirit

http://www.virtualitalia.com/
spiffywilco

Post by spiffywilco »

Thank you! I'm going to try posting there, their website is acting up a little.
spiffywilco

Post by spiffywilco »

that ainee site www.aineei.com is one of those park places (really bad search engines) that are used to sell the name one day. Unless, I am looking in the wrong spot.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Perhaps you could email the poster.........I to could not locate the site??

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... ight=ainee

wldspirit
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xaymara »

Hi Lee,
I have no idea how the aineei site might help in this case but the site mentioned in the original message which you linked is the following:
aineei.com
The page is no longer kept available but it can be accessed by using the keywords "corruzione nel comune di perugia" and viewing the cached page.
aineei.org is the current website.

regards,
-María
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Thanks Maria.......the site does not even look like the site I visited last year, I did not see an option for viewing in English..........from what the poster had told me regarding this site, is that it was a grass roots effort with regard to persons of Italian heritage being denied citizenship....the poster went on to explain how to obtain citizenship, offered to translate letters ect., and stated if I was interested in citizenship she would help with anything I might need.........if I remember correctly she had posted a number of post at various sites and I had asked for clarification as to what the posting was about.............any insight???? :?
wldspirit
rita

Post by rita »

Just a question....

My father was an Italian, my mother dutch.(the Netherlands). When I was 18 ,I could choose my nationality. Parents adviced go Dutch. The more I find out about my family, the more I want the Italian citizenship (dual off course). Is that possible?

Regards,
Rita Quaglieni (46 now)
spiffywilco

Post by spiffywilco »

I found out after getting my great grandfathers naturalization papers from the National Archives, that the similarities are just simply too close to deny. He naturalized in 1912, whearas my grandfather was born in 1924. :( My grandmothers side seems to be my last resort in this matter, but I was under the impression that a woman cannot carry citizenship before 1948. Is this for sure the case?
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xaymara »

Lisa,
The page does look different from the presentation it had before but the text is the same and it is shown in Italian/Spanish/English (in green letters). I remembered seeing it posted in Cononico's website but did not read it in detail as the subject matter seemed a bit complicated. I believe it had to do with the recognition of Italian citizenship to Argentineans of Italian descent in particular a case (or cases) being processed and registered in Perugia.
The website is not useful to the OP, I think.

regards,
María
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Thanks Maria.... :)
Lisa
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

spiffywilco wrote:I found out after getting my great grandfathers naturalization papers from the National Archives, that the similarities are just simply too close to deny. He naturalized in 1912, whearas my grandfather was born in 1924. :( My grandmothers side seems to be my last resort in this matter, but I was under the impression that a woman cannot carry citizenship before 1948. Is this for sure the case?
Women could not have passed Italian Citizenship rights to their children born before 1948. They however, could inherit these rights from their own father and pass them on the any children born from 1949 forward.

Hope that helps!

Jim
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

From the information you've provided, it does not seem you qualify. However, you can obtain citizenship after residing for three years in Italy (this is because you can document an Italian heritage).

I understand your strong desire to do this--and don't worry about U.S. citizenship; you won't lose it--but be careful about the way you approach this.

Living in Italy for a non-citizen (and you will be a non-citizen for at least three years) is difficult at best. You will find it difficult to find jobs because Italy is suffering from severe unemployment and Italian and EU citizens have preference. Can you live there for three years with little or no work? Even Italians are finding it economically difficult to live there. Jobs are scarce; pay is low; and opportunities for advancement, minimal. Many would jump at the opportunity to come to the U.S.

Remember too that living in Italy is not the same as visiting it as a tourist; so don't enter this with "stars in your eyes." Every country has its problems; Italy, no exception.

I know you're disappointed, but think this through carefully. You can study there; you can tour there; and one day you may retire there; but make sure you do it when the time is right. In bocca al lupo.