Origins of Di Genova

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Origins of Di Genova

Post by crossl »

Hi, wondering if anyone out there has come accross info. on the origin of the Di Genova family in Casacalenda, prov. Campobasso, Molise or where I might research this.

Thanks
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Origins of Di Genova

Post by jcsm400 »

http://www.italyworldclub.com/molise/ca ... alenda.htm

Above link has info on Casaclenda.

I didn't find any films available for this comune from LDS, so you'll have to write to the comune for family information.

Other members of this forum can provide you with the address and can translation your letters (Eng to Italian).

Hope this helps a little.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

crossl wrote:Hi, wondering if anyone out there has come accross info. on the origin of the Di Genova family in Casacalenda, prov. Campobasso, Molise or where I might research this.

Thanks
Hi There,

The Family History Center does have microfilm for the town of Casacalenda.

Here is the link for the film numbers.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Here is the link for the nearest Family History Center
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Here is the official website of the town
http://www.casacalendacomune.it/

You can translate the the web site through alta vista at http://world.altavista.com/

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Trish,

Glad you checked LDS too. Must have typed info incorrectly.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

De Genova has been in Casacalenda since before 1800. The orgins are probably elsewhere...but the name is not new to the area.

I did find the birth record for Marco Vincenzo: 26 March, 1873. His father was Giuseppe di Genova, age 32 (son of Maurizio who is dead) and his mother was Maria Rosa Iannilonardo (daughter of Vincenzo who is dead). Appears to have married Maria Fortunata Pietrantonia in Casacalenda on 13 Feb 1896. States that Marco Vincenzo died August 26, 1943...though it is very hard to make out the year....could be 1943/45/23/25////but looks like 1943...

Now this is strange because this Maria Rosaria Iannilonardo is the daughter of the Vincenzo I listed before...(for Maria Rosa Iannidinardo wife of Michele di Genoa and mother of Vincenzo born in 1874).... Obviously I made an error there in who was the wife's father. However, I can guarantee you that Maria Rosaria Iannilonardo was the daughter of Vincenzo Iannilonardo and she was born on 4 Sept 1841 to Vincenzo and his wife Angela Maria di Ruberti.

I cannot find the birth record for Giuseppe...I covered a number of years and microfilms....for some reason, I cannot yet connect him to the correct listing. There is a listing for a Maria Giuseppa born in 1841. It could be that it should be Maria Giuseppe....and that this is him. (my gggrandfather in Casacalenda was named Giuseppe Maria.) Unfortunately, the word bambino/a is hard to determine...the end of the letter "o" or "a" is somewhere in the middle when the word is used and impossible to verify though I tend to think it is girl child. However, the father is Maurzio and this is the only child I find for Maurizio di Genoa for a number of years....
I need to go back and get more info...not enough time that day.

Maurizio di Genoa died at the age of 56 on 11 Jun 1861, the son of Francesco di Genoa and Vittoria De Lisio. Stated he was the widow of Chiara Ramacieri..... I tried to find Chiara's death record, but no luck so far. Will check again. She apparently died closer to the birth of Giuseppe.

Vincenzo Iannilonardo died at the age of 58 on 1 Sep 1864. He was the son of Rocco (who is dead) Iannilonardo and Rosa d'Attilio (who is also dead). He was the husband of Angela Ruberti. I will check the death records for Rocco and Rosa....likely to be after 1809.

I am sorry I did not have a lot of time to sort this all out. For some reason, this is hard to track. Maybe I am just not being thorough. As you can see from when I looked up Vincenzo originally and then you told be it was Marco Vincenzo....you see how the lines cross and how important it is to give out the most specific information. These names repeat so often it is hard to keep track without full info.

I will get back to the library sometime this week.. Hopefully late of Tuesday. If not, on Thursday for sure (the library is not open all day, everyday...just portions of some days, closed others). I will try to find Giuseppe. And the others I listed above as well as tracking back the Pietrantonio line...which is long established in Casacalenda as well.

Have a great rest of the weekend..........
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi susan, about this "the word bambino/a is hard to determine..." i s better to read directly the gender, where are wrote for male child: " ... di sesso maschile.." or female: "....di sesso femminino/ femminile (both right, both used)"... hoping helpful. suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Susan, can't tell you how much I appreciate the info. you're getting for me.
I know it takes a lot of time so thank you. I apologize if I haven't been too accurate with some dates and names, I understand how important correct info. is.

It does get confusing but we can clarify a couple of things:
Marco Vincenzo Di Genova died in 1958, probably December. I'm sure of this because when I left Italy in 1957 he was still alive, so I don't know what that 1943 death date is. His wife Maria Fortunata died in 1942-the year one of my brothers was born. My older brothers are quite sure of this date maybe within a year.

Also not sure how Maria Rosa Iannidinardo can be the wife of both Giuseppe Di Genova and Michele Di Genova as you had stated earlier.
As you say, it is confusing.

Susan, Marco Vincenzo had 2 or 3 brothers and maybe a sister. The oldest was probably named Maurizio(named after his grandfather) and he immigrated to Argentina in probaly late 1900's. There might have been another brother who immigrtated there also. I'm sure of Maurizio because my father went to stay with him in Argentina in the mid 1920's. He used to tell us this.

There might have been a sister of Marco Vincenzo who married a Piperni in Casacalenda or it could have been a sister of Maria Fortunata Pietrantonio who married a Piperni, I'm not sure which. I'm interested in Marco Vincenzo's
association with the Piperni as some of their descendants are in the city I'm living in.

I'm interested in Marco Vincenzo's brothers, his uncles and aunts, his grandfathers(Maurizio's brothers and sisters).

Again, many thanks for your time Susan. I greatly appreciate it.

Franco
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Susan, you mentioned that you could make copies of the records if I liked. I would like to have the copies. What medium are your records on-are they on microfilm or some other. How were you able to keep the records on permanent loan?

Thanks, Franco
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Franco....

When you initially rent the films, they are for one month. You can renew and the renewal is for 2 additional months. When you rent the film for the 3rd time, they are kept on site indefinitely...as long as you access them regularly. It used to be about $3 to rent. Now it is $5.50 per film and each renewal meaning that each film would cost $16.50 to keep on on site for as long as you wished to access it.

Which is why it helps if you rent something someone else does not have on loan and you exchange info when you can. I can make microfilmed copies of the records and either attach them to an e-mail or send directly to you. In fact this is great because if you write to the comune for the info, they do an extract of the info and don't copy the original to my knowledge...so this is one way to see how it actually appeared.

When I have completed it all and get the right line, I will go back to the films and get copies all at once. The copy machine is a microfilm reader and hard to switch back and forth to at my library...too many wanting to use it at a time. So if I go on a Saturday when no one goes to the center, I can use the machine for a couple of hours without interruption. So the last thing I will do is make copies...but I would be happy to do so for you.
Just let me know how you want to receive the info.

By the way, in answer to your other post before this last one, one was listed as Maria Rosa Iannidinardo and the other as Maria Rosaria Iannilonardo...both listed as daughters of a Vincenzo. Doesn't mean they are both the same person, only that the similarity of names makes it difficult sometimes to go from record to record.... I think I assumed Vincenzo was the father of the first when he was actually the father of the second because of the spelling of the last name was sooooo close and I found him in the death records. Just a little time and I will get it straightened out, I assure you. And I will look for Suanj's hint about the boy/girl aspects of the Marie Giuseppe/a records and see if that settles the question!

This is actually fun trying to piece together. And so please don't think I am complaining about it...only frustrated with myself for jumping to conclusions and then having to retrace my steps...too anxious!!!

So hang in there and we will solve the puzzle!

Have a great day...........Susan
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Hi Susan,
just touching base with you, haven't heard from you lately. Have you been able to find anything new or have you not had the time yet?

Regards, Franco
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Hi all...
has anyone come accross any information on where the Di Genova family originated from. I have had some info. from "esgee' from the Casacalenda civil records but is there any information on the family before 1809? I have the name of Francesco Di Genova who had sons born in Casacalenda but Francesco would have been born in the 1700's. Don't know where to get the birth date for him. Can anyone help? I'm interested in tracing the family as far back in Casacalenda, and elsewhere, as I can.

Thanks, Franco
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi the first Di Genova ( current version) was in Florence( Firenze)
Jacopo Di Genova born ...( no place) in 1430, and married in 1460 at Lenora Di Medici ... most probable this surname was originated in Genova town, because it is some record in + or - same years in Genova town... the meaning in facts is : inhabitant of Genova...
after, in the time, the Di Genova people came also in other italian region, and I think, just a my opinion, that the Di Genova people in Molise region, coming from Abruzzo region that in the past was ONLY 1 region called Abruzzi e Molise.. regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi Franco........

Sorry to be so long....my father in law passed away. Been very sick and we made a trip to see him. When we got there, he had already passed away. So many people coming from out of town, took another week before his memorial service so had to return home and then back for the funeral.

Sorry. Will try and get more info this weekend....things just a little out of sorts....and my husband had to go to the hospital a couple of times to have his air checked out.....he also has what caused his father's death. Needless to say, it has been hard on him, both is seeing his father pass, but also seeing what is ahead for him.

Will be back with info as soon as I can....hang in there, I haven't forgotten.

Susan
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Susan my condolences..... hugs, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
crossl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crossl »

Hi Susan,
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss and offer my condolences.
Very much hope everything turns out o.k. with your husband.

Franco