Seeking Savoi Royal family history

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
puffy

Seeking Savoi Royal family history

Post by puffy »

:lol:
Hello,

I was born in the US, New York, both my parents came from italy in the early 60's and my father told me that my grandmother, on his side of the family was a SAVOI. As her surname predicts. My father was born in a little town called FORENZA near potenza. Just wanted to know if there is a log of decendents on the Savoi family. I found this somewhat interesting considering my grandmother was a niece of the King, but was a peasant in south farms of italy. She did although received a wedding gift from the King himself when she married. She also resembles the Savoi, she was about 5'9", clear blue eyes and blonde hair. Somewhat strange because italians from the north are known to be much lighter than the italians from the south. Also I visited her gravesite along with other Savoi's and the town people also claimed she was a Savoi decendent. My question is I will like something actually in writing of proof of this.
Thank you.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It is admirable that you are interested in your famiuly genealogy. If you go to the Mormon church Family History Library nearest your home you can request The Enciclopedia Storico-Nobiliare Italiana (Historical encyclopedia of Italian nobility, Milano:1928. Family History book EUROPE 945 D56s;Computer number 85657 and you can also look at the Libro d'oro della nobilita italiana (Golden book of Italian nobility) Roma:collegio Araladico 1910-(FHL book EUROPE 945 D51ln;films 833316,873994 and 823793 computer number 9236. When yoiu go to the library take this information with you and request the records.

You can also go to the www.familysearch .org under Locality Search and p;rint out first Italy-Nobility then Italy (province)-Nobility and then Italy,(province) (town)-Nobility.

It is an interesting undertaking and worthy of your efforts. Peter
puffy

Post by puffy »

Thank you. Yes I knew for years of this it just happen that my dad pasted away 1 year ago today and seeing all the current news on the rai italian channel about the Savoi family returning back to Italy from them fleeing Italy during WWII.

thank you if I have any problems in researching I will let you know.

good day! :P
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The Savoy family is spelled SAVOY not Savoi. Peter
puffy

Post by puffy »

:P
to my knowledge Savoi is the correct spelling. I believe that is how the royal family "Savoi" spells it as well.
"Savoi" is imprinted on the family crypt from 2 generations of Savoi's .
I thing Savoy is French version of the spelling. Since the letter "y" is not used in the italian dictionary. I will ask my husband since he is an italian citizen and is highly knowledgable of Italian history. I checked the familysearch website and entered Savoi and shows a family member living in Trento, which is where the royal family actually comes from dating back to the 17th century but I need more info. I usually visit italy every year maybe I will have to go to the town offices and churches for more info.

thx
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I hope you succeed. Peter
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

Puffy,

The search for your genealogy sounds like a very interesting story. Is it not a nice idea to share your search with others by publishing your experience on this site?

I am working on a new section on my homepage about "The royals of Italy". The information is not ready yet to publish but maybe you can use the information.

PS.
About Savoy or Savoi; I think it is Savoia :P

Victor Emanuel I., Duke of Savoy, King of Sardinia, and King of Italy.

Victor was born on March 14, 1820. He was the son of Charles Albert, sovereignty of Sardinia (1831), who abdicated the throne, and his son, Victor Emanuel, became king of Sardinia. He married an Austrian princess, the Archduchess Adelaide, Daughter of the Archduke Renier, ruler of Lombardy. With the precious concession to the people of a constitution, Victor Emanuel, was placed as a constitutional monarch, and the country flourished. He formed the alliance with France and England against Russia in her aggressions upon Turkey in 1854, gaining the prominent notice of Europe. In subsequent battles the nation gained a position among the European powers. In January 1856, he gave his daughter, the Princess Clothilde Maria Theresa of Savoy, in marriage to Prince Napoleon, forming alliance which was recognized as identifying the political interests of France more closely than with those of Italy, and as being the prelude to the war of Italian independence. He lead his armies in the war against Austria (1856), when Austria invaded Sardinia territory. In August of 1859, Tuscany, Parma, and Modena, voted in favor of annexation to Sardinia, continuing to unite the Italian kingdom under Victor Emanuel. On September 3, Romagna followed the example of the Duchies. In 1860, Garibaldi, conquered the kingdom of Naples, thus mastering the two Sicilies, and offered his splendid conquests to Victor Emanuel. On October 1, 1860, while visiting these new dominions, Victor Emanuel, was saluted as "King of Italy." On December 26, he decreed the annexation of the Marches, Umbria, Naples, and Sicily, to his dominions; and the title which Garibaldi had conferred upon him was confirmed, on March, 17, 1861, by the unanimous vote of the Italian Parliament. At this time the new kingdom was recognized by the British government, and on the 23d of June, by the Emperor Napoleon, and comprised the whole of Italy, with the exception of Venice, and the territories still held by the Pope. The Italian Parliament at Turin, February 18, 1861, regarded biding their time to claim Venice, and set their thinking on Rome, which they believed should be part of Italy. In July, 1862, Garibaldi, not working under the King of Italy, and not bound to the French alliance, proceeded to Catania in Sicily, and raised an army to be directed against Rome. On August 29, Garibaldi, was defeated and wounded. In December 12, 1864, Florence was adopted as the capital of the Italian kingdom. An alliance with Prussia was formed on March 27, 1866, and on June 20th decisive action was taken against Austria, which gained Italy the long coveted Venetian territory, which Victor Emanuel received, October 19th from Austria, at the hands of the Emperor of France. Venice was annexed into Italy on November 4th. The Italian troops, entered Rome on September 20th. A plebiscite of the Papal dominions, taken early in October, resulted in an almost unanimous vote to the incorporation of Rome and its dependencies with the kingdom of Italy, and was carried into effect by a royal decree on the 9th of October, and two days later General della Marmora as Lieutenant-Governor of the Roman provinces. on the 5th of December, Victor Emanuel, at the opening of the Italian Parliament at Florence, claimed to have fulfilled his promises, and to have crowned the enterprise commenced twenty-three years before by his father. The King stated, "Italy, is free and united henceforth, and depends upon herself for achieving greatness and happiness." On Sunday July 2, 1871, the King of Italy paid a three days visit to Rome, to which he had previously made a hurried and incidental one, for the purpose of taking formal possession, and of acknowledging it thenceforth as the headquarters of the Government, from which the royal decrees would in future be issued, and where the ministers were left installed in their new offices.
puffy

Post by puffy »

hello , yes my mistake it is Savoia i forget the "a"

thx
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Something is amiss here. I assumed you knew Savoy is Savoia in Italian but you were writing in english. In any event the information I gave yoiu about the Savoy (Savoia) royal family in the encyclopedia should assist you. If you say you knew all about that then what were you asking this forum for??? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I am waiting for a reply! Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I am still waiting for your reply your Highness. Peter
Annfromcanada
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Seeking Savoi Royal family history

Post by Annfromcanada »

I am wondering if the Savoia Princess who died in the Nazi concentration camp was pregnant? Did she have a daughter? There is much hush hush surrounding this Royal Family. I recently bought a book Titled " The Forgotten Savoy Princess", (written in English). Apparently Umberto had two weddings. Both recognized by the Vatican church. Very Interesting read. Count Raymondo Guerini of Savoy wrote it. Some of these royals hid or switched babies back in those days. Who knows what legitimate Heirs are still out there. WW2 had many political secrets. Still working on research.
Annfromcanada
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Seeking Savoi Royal family history

Post by Annfromcanada »

Umberto married Gelsomina before her married Queen Marie Jose. He sent Gelsomina Australia where she had a daughter. That daughter had a son who wrote the above book. What else does the pubic not know?