Tattoos

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
pimpn_dude

Tattoos

Post by pimpn_dude »

Im think about gettin a tattoo(s) but im stuck on what kind of tattoo, i dont want somethin like a italian flag, but i did have something in mind but i want 2 see if theres anyone with other thoughts or ideas on what i should get. My idea was to get a cross with Green white and Red colored inside.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Tattoos

Post by wldspirit »

I've said this before and I'll say it again....be very careful in choosing a tatoo.....not a decision to be made lightly....they are very expensive to remove...and painful....

Nothing worse than walking out of the tatoo shop thinking this is not what I had in mind......choose your artist carefully.
wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi wldspirit,

I couldn't agree more! I spent years trying to convince my husband that my getting a tatoo would be "fun" and how much I really wanted one. Then, my sister in law got one and it turned out awful! She spend a smaill fortunate to have it removed (plus back then they did skin grafting as well) and the pain of it changed my mind. Now, when I get the "urge" I get a Henna tattoo first and I recommend this to everyone. If you don't like it, great...it comes off. If you do like it, then carry on...

I'm personally glad I didn't do it..it's not for me but it may be great for someone else!

As for what you want to get a tatoo of pimpn_dude...that's a persoanl choice. You have to like and live with it so do whatever you like....and I'm sure it will be the right choice for you.

Nuccia :D
RichardNewbold

Post by RichardNewbold »

Hi,
I got a tattoo 8 years ago and did a lot of thinking about it beforehand. A couple of things that are worth mentioning.
1) Unless ink has improved I would avoid white, or at least discuss at length with the artist just how well it will work as white is a difficult colour, especially if your skin is mediterranean.
2) Talk to people on the google groups. rec.arts.bodyart is a good place to start, but stick to the topic of tattoos, don't get drawn into politics or nationalism. You should at least get some recommendations for a good artist in your area from here.
3) Designing it yourself is nice, even if you cant draw you can lift patterns and play with them. try googling for "stencil" and "cross". www.tattoofinder.com is a good site for looking for ideas.
4) If you do get one remember that ink fades are tattooos are for life. For those 2 reasons I got my tattoo on my upper arm so that a) It's not going to harm me when I go for a job interview, and b) It doesnt get damaged by the sun. If I'm anywhere hot I put white factor 50 on it, and 8 years on its in very good condition.
5) Take your time, I got my tattoo 18 months after I decided to get one, 8 months of that time were spent designing it and I love it. I think thats partly because I was 100% sure what I wanted. You dont sound at all sure so I would keep thinking. Buy some mags, visit some shops etc.

Hope that helps a little
Richard
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nunsiata »

I completely agree with Richard. I, too, wanted something to celebrate my heritage and gave it months of thought. I recommend designing your own for a truly personal experience. Even if you can't draw - the tattoo artist can! I more or less concepted the drawing and my artist brought it to life. I have a beautiful, detailed grape vine "growing" around my ankle, and every time I see it I am reminded of my childhood - when all summer activities took place under the grape vine in our yard.
So, do your homework, make sure you pick a great artist, and enjoy yourself. Good luck!

N
jdonofrio

Post by jdonofrio »

Well, if you have Sicilian roots, you could try a trinacria symbol - which is symbolic of Sicily. I always thought these were pretty unique, not many people would have something like this!

Here's an interesting one:

http://www.tao.it/tritoneviaggi/

By the way, they are also a symbol of the Isle of Mann.
pimpn_dude

Post by pimpn_dude »

actually i do have Sicilian roots, my mother's side of the family is from Palermo.

Thanks for the all the suggestions
FDooks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by FDooks »

Hello all. Well I'm quite decorated. I have numerous tattoos. On my left arm I have a band that looks like vines. They are three teered: one being my skin color, one being red, and one being green.

Trust me, white does not show or stick. White is only used to highlite and blend. I origionally has the 3rd teer white but within a few days, you couldn't even notice.

I however am getting another (my 8th) this Sunday. Above my band now I am getting my family crest. Image

Just a general idea...
Looking for information on the names:
D'Amore, DeLuca, Cordova, Russo, Petrino, DiGiacomo

Any help is greatly appreciated.
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PepinoMattioli »

Not to say anyone on here doesnt know what they are talking about. but to give some first hand knowledge....

ive got both arms from my shoulder to my forearms tattooed, my knuckles, ankles, 1 leg from my knee to the ankle, my stomach, and upper back. Tattoos dont fade if taken care of. White ink does show if taken care of. Some people are alergic to red inks. those are all facts. They will fade if you either do not take care of them, or go to someone who doesnt use the top of the line inks, tattooing has changed a great deal over the years, and even so in the last few years

i also have 4 close friends that i talk to every day that tattoo and own their own shop.

Thinking about getting your tattoo is the most important part, but dont forget that it is just as important as going to a well knowledged, well respect, and well referred artist.

If you want an every day run of the mill italian heritage tattoo, beleive it or not at alot of shops in the flash section they have alot of good italain stuff ( thats cuz we are so great ). but if you want somethign original find a artist with the requirements i said above....and ask him/her to see their custom work so you can see what kind of stuff this artist excels in. then give them your idea and ask them to run with it to add their own flair. i find this works the best.

for my back i did this and gave my guy ( whos also been one of my best friends for 13 years ) a pic of the triniacrea and some family crests, and other designs. he drew the picture and puit the crest in the corners and did the head with the snakes real crazy and alive looking. it looks great and when i get a pic ill post it.

list where you live and i might know an artist in that city or state that i can recomend pimpn dude

sorry for the logn post, just wanted to shed some knowledge
kenney1880

Post by kenney1880 »

I have been really interested in getting a tattoo done. My italian roots come from the Marche region of Italy. There flag looks silly. I do like the idea of the family crest though. I also did some drawing of the cross anchor and heart which I wear on my neck everyday. My grandmother gave that to me she told me it meant faith hope and charity? Not sure.... How do you find your family crest? Its always nice to get something unique though. I do know of some sites that I will have to send from work that contain all the flags of italy. Might be neat for some people.
My friend is Sicilian and he has there flag on his arm. It looks sharp along with the word Crazy in Italian. I feel bad getting italian things tattooed on myself since I am part irish, czech and slovenian as well. I am second generation italian though. Mostly italian and the rest is 1/8th a piece. Anyway. I hope I can provide some ideas along with get some help. Maybe start up a italian tattoo website or something. haha
tim
kenney1880

Post by kenney1880 »

oh yeah by the way I live in Milwaukee, Wi.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Using the link below, click on each region/province/town and you can see flags/coat of arms.......
http://allstates-flag.com/fotw/flags/it-reg.html#regi

wldspirit
pimpn_dude

Post by pimpn_dude »

yea in live in Canada.
My roots are Sicilian,
i want 2 incorporate the trinqueta in my tattoo. Im lookin at various tattoos and coming up with a unique tattoo.
vinnieku

Post by vinnieku »

I've been looking to get a tattoo, but only come up with two ideas: the corno, and an outline of italy. Lame i think, but i really am clueless on much of my italian heritage, my father was born in Bari so anything that anyone can think of to help me would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
lifesabeach038

Post by lifesabeach038 »

im from north jersey, and somehow want to incorporate my italian heritage (cosenza, calabria, roma, and como) into it but don't want it to be cheesy or in a bad area. any suggestions?
also, anyone know a good tattoo artist in north jersey (morris county area?)